Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
They are advertising it NOW on TCM!
No they aren't, a movie is on right now, but yes they did air a number of interviews. No the whole show or anything, but I still enjoyed it. You will see them on between movies and will have to check the online schedule to see when one is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
No they aren't, a movie is on right now, but yes they did air a number of interviews. No the whole show or anything, but I still enjoyed it. You will see them on between movies and will have to check the online schedule to see when one is on.
<<psst>> Not everyone lives in the same time zone.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Of course it's a matter of opinion. But ratings only tell you whether people are watching it, not the quality of what they're watching. I never watched him on the show. I watched Johnny Carson, and I watched Conan.

In my book, he was bad.
If the quality wasn't good, no one would be watching it!!! But obviously people were watching so much so he was number one.

Conan was a joke!! He couldn't even last one year!! I almost don't even count him as a host of the Tonight Show.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
If the quality wasn't good, no one would be watching it!!! But obviously people were watching so much so he was number one.

Conan was a joke!! He couldn't even last one year!! I almost don't even count him as a host of the Tonight Show.
I'm not a Leno hater, but to be fair Conan was only on for about 3 months. NBC saw a huge ratings loss when Conan first debuted, which should have been expected. The dynamic of the Tonight Show is different now than it was when Parr left and Johnny came aboard for example. Back then it was The Tonight Show or....nothing. By the time Jay left and Conan took over the audience had a lot to choose from. "Their guy" was gone, so they were able to sample everyone else out. NBC SHOULD have stuck with Conan (the way they did with Leno when he was getting his ass whipped by Dave in the ratings in the early 90's) for at least a while to see if he'd catch on. But they did what networks do nowadays and panicked and tried to move Jay back into the 11:35 spot. It worked out for everyone, really. Leno got a few more years with The Tonight Show, NBC got good ratings, and Conan became a multi-millionaire (if he wasn't one already) and still has a show. But, I still believe NBC jumped the gun with a knee jerk reaction to replace Conan.

It's typical of networks now, not to get too far off topic, but we see this all the time. Shows will premier and be cancelled within a week or two without giving them ANY chance to build an audience.

I've used this example before to illustrate how ridiculous the networks are now, but look at a show like CHEERS. It debuted in the early 80's and the ratings were terrible. They wouldn't have made it to episode 3 or 4 nowadays. But, NBC gave them a chance with a second season, and during the summer re-runs they picked up steam. What did NBC get out of that? TWENTY TWO YEARS of highly rated programming (between Cheers and Frasier) plus a couple of great flag ship shows that helped carry tons of other new shows that aired on the same night.

Now, summer reruns have gone away, but networks have a new tool at their disposal: Cable and online streaming services. We've seen so much success of TV shows on those formats that it blows my mind that a network won't take a struggling show and air episodes on their own cable networks or release the first season of struggling shows through streaming services.

But I digress....back on topic, sort of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
You were a teenager in 1994 so you think that you are too old for pop culture today?
I wasn't even close to being a teenager in 1994, & I don't think I am too old for pop culture today in my 50s!

I don't understand why people can't enjoy a show without the performer being their age.
Jimmy Fallon will do fine on the show. Each host brings something different. If you don't like it, don't watch it!
I think you may have mis-read by post, or I'm misunderstanding yours. I said that I'm very much in tune with pop culture which is why I see the humor in the younger hosts as well as SNL (which I pointed out was not as funny IMO 20 years ago, which is the time the poster I was responding to said the show was great)

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Turner Newsroom: TCM's Popular Carson on TCM, Hosted by Conan O'Brien, Returns with New Installments March 4

"TCM's Popular Carson on TCM, Hosted by Conan O'Brien, Returns with New Installments March 4
Series Features Classic Johnny Carson Interviews with Film Stars...

...Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is bringing the king of late-night television back for another round as Carson on TCM returns with new installments this spring. Hosted by Conan O'Brien, the series features memorable Johnny Carson interviews from two decades of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. New installments of Carson on TCM are set to air Tuesdays at 8 p.m. (ET), beginning March 4."

Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Tried watching it. Sorry Fallon fans, but it's just putrid, sophomoric nonsense. IMO the show will have very low ratings and possibly fail.

NBC has turned late night into sorry subsets of the SNL show that hasn't been funny or worth watching for 20 years.

Jimmy Kimmel and Craig Ferguson are the only ones we can tolerate.
lol, love the appropriate use of "putrid".

Last night (Thursday) Letterman was hilarious. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I laughed out loud many times.

Kinda went back and forth between the 3 when the guests were on; none appealed to me.

Fallon has been a huge boost to Letterman's ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
and every joke seemed to be about penis's. .
I think the plural for penis is "peni".

Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
[quote=Dale Cooper;33678607]lol, love the appropriate use of "putrid".

Last night (Thursday) Letterman was hilarious. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I laughed out loud many times.

Kinda went back and forth between the 3 when the guests were on; none appealed to me.

Fallon has been a huge boost to Letterman's ratings. /QUOTE]

Agree.

I watched Fallon a few times recently to see what was going on. I used the word putrid as my reaction to a skit where he another guy were in drag and talking in some stupid tone of voice. Then the other night they did a skit of playing charades which was done with the usual SNL style of prancing around like ninnies. I don't "get" that stuff and I sure don't get why the audience roars with laughter every time Fallon wrinkles his nose or blinks his eyes?

Letterman has moved a notch on my list. He has a bit of a nasty edge to him, seems ill-prepared for his interviews while not seeming to care, and his stutter-like repetition of sentence fragments, sometimes as much as four time, drives me nuts.

Fallon is on the bottom of our list, then next up is Letterman, then Kimmel, and at the top of our list is Ferguson.

We don't even watch Conan O'Brien, his time slot is awful and he's a bit like Fallon with the silly stuff. I always hated how he'd walk out, do a bunny hop, shake his necktie, and then spin around; never could figure out what that was all about. Silliness for the sake of silliness? Ugh.

We tend to surf away from all of the interviews (aka talking head segments) as these are inane. The celebs / writers / musicians are only on these shows because they are paying to be there for the product placement value - always pimping a new movie, album, book, show, etc. The dialog for most of these segments is stultifying; Letterman often has no idea what the person is pimping and his lack of interest is obvious.

Letterman will probably benefit from audience segments moving away from the Tonight Show now that Leno has gone, and I think Kimmel will benefit as well. I see Kimmel as being more like Leno than Letterman, i.e., he comes out and makes light of stuff in the news, like Leno did, and like Will Rodgers did decades ago. I wish Kimmel would dump the "ya-ya" dude as this is really worthless and a waste of air time.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Fallon hasn't been a boost to Letterman's ratings. The Tonight show is still winning. LOL

Not that I have a dog in this hunt. I haven't watched Fallon since his premiere episode last week. Its just funny to me how much people are assuming that because they hate him no one is watching him and his ratings are falling through the floor. They are not.

I like Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel AND Stewart. I am so screwed every night.

Last edited by Tinawina; 02-28-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Fallon hasn't been a boost to Letterman's ratings. The Tonight show is still winning. LOL

Not that I have a dog in this hunt. I haven't watched Fallon since his premiere episode last week. Its just funny to me how much people are assuming that because they hate him no one is watching him and his ratings are falling through the floor. They are not.

I like Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel AND Stewart. I as so screwed every night.
It'll take a few months for the ratings to level off as viewers decide if they'll stay with Fallon or not, by then we'll get a better picture. It's only the second week, it's expected that Fallon would have higher ratings.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It'll take a few months for the ratings to level off as viewers decide if they'll stay with Fallon or not, by then we'll get a better picture. It's only the second week, it's expected that Fallon would have higher ratings.
One would think, but folks seemed to think otherwise. LOL

Honestly it typically takes a minute for late night talk shows to find footing. Leno got his ass handed to him at the start of his run and I read somewhere that even the great Johnny Carson struggled the first few years. So even if Fallon's ratings level off after a few weeks, it would be relatively normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV