Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM

4,364 posts, read 6,573,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
It would be nice if people who have read the book would use the spoiler tags when discussing particular scenes or plot points...just because something wasn't in the first episode doesn't mean it won't be in the show later.
I've refrained from being specific in any way about the differences. Would be a good idea to use spoiler tags for any plot or character references in explaining differences between the book and this series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM

23,042 posts, read 28,573,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Perhaps I'm naive, were I a craftsman of such works, world renown, wealthy enough for several lifetimes and still in my prime I would rather my creation stay in its intended universe, than be hacked up by a profit driven device like television.
King has never really cared all that much. His attitude has been: I write the books. If the movie turns out good, then great! If the movie turns out bad, you've still got the book.

I was definitely taken aback at how much the TV show changed. Other than names and a big dome, the show have very little in common with the book. It's completely different. But I'm not so sure that's a bad thing, since I didn't like the book all that much.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:38 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,250,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
King has never really cared all that much. His attitude has been: I write the books. If the movie turns out good, then great! If the movie turns out bad, you've still got the book.

I was definitely taken aback at how much the TV show changed. Other than names and a big dome, the show have very little in common with the book. It's completely different. But I'm not so sure that's a bad thing, since I didn't like the book all that much.
Im sorry but yeah I did not like the book that much at all either ....

Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM

44,756 posts, read 62,129,521 times
The show is based on the book. It's not an exact copy of the book. Just like movies based on whatever plot or idea, they just use that plot or idea as a premise for filming the show. Being based means they can change anything they want as long as they follow the general idea.
In most movies people complain that it wasn't like the book, well it was just based on that idea.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM

534 posts, read 910,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The show is based on the book. It's not an exact copy of the book. Just like movies based on whatever plot or idea, they just use that plot or idea as a premise for filming the show. Being based means they can change anything they want as long as they follow the general idea.
In most movies people complain that it wasn't like the book, well it was just based on that idea.
It's as if one prepares to enjoy a work of Mozart and finds that it's actually a performance by the creature known as Justin Beeber. But television continues it delivery of bus station culture and 7/11 dinning.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:51 PM

534 posts, read 910,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
It would be nice if people who have read the book would use the spoiler tags when discussing particular scenes or plot points...just because something wasn't in the first episode doesn't mean it won't be in the show later.
My apologies for any breach of proper conversation regarding "spoilers". It seemed a smallish revelation and germane to the topic. I won't reveal the identity of the owner of the severed head found in a bag in act 2.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,332,974 times
Quote:
My apologies for any breach of proper conversation regarding "spoilers". It seemed a smallish revelation and germane to the topic. I won't reveal the identity of the owner of the severed head found in a bag in act 2.
"Act 2"??? Do you mean the 2nd eppie or did I miss something? I admit, I dozed off. Or is "act 2" after the first commercial break?

I don't think you "broke" any "laws" about spoilers. Having never read the book myself, I find the posts by people who have rather annoying too. Now I have to look at "Junior" in a different light.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,285,537 times
So I missed it can somebody tell me how Dean Norris' character was and if it was way different than his Hank role in Breaking Bad please?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM

934 posts, read 1,138,545 times
Quote:
It's as if one prepares to enjoy a work of Mozart and finds that it's actually a performance by the creature known as Justin Beeber. But television continues it delivery of bus station culture and 7/11 dinning.

Well, that's not a very realistic comparison. That could be like preparing to listen to "Mozart" on a toy piano. Hardly the same thing. One thing about adapatations is that they can be frustrating if they differ too much from the original story. But if they follow too closely it can be frustrating also. Getting it right is tricky. I've never seen a Stephen King book made for Television that was good. Not all Stephen King adaptations are good regardless. Kubrick is a good example. His The Shining adaptation differed substantially from the book. Stephen King didn't like the changes. Yet, of the two, I prefer the movie over the book, even though I know the differences and sometimes wish they were included.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

934 posts, read 1,138,545 times
I went on my "On Demand" on my cable company and it's available. Only to HD customers. What's with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV