Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM

864 posts, read 1,155,801 times

Advertisements

Anyone else having difficulty understanding the two nerds? I have to crank up the volume to make out half of their dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM

23,059 posts, read 28,638,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Anyone else having difficulty understanding the two nerds? I have to crank up the volume to make out half of their dialogue.
I watch all TV with the captions turned on, so it isn't an issue for me.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM

408 posts, read 396,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I watch all TV with the captions turned on, so it isn't an issue for me.
Me, too -- hearing impaired.

Terry, just turn on the captions. Sometimes, you'll actually get alternate dialogue or even EXTRA information that's not obvious or apparent otherwise. A good example is the X-Files; many an episode was spoiled for me and my wife because some of the on-screen text gave away who or what was behind whatever was going on. And in some cases, the monologue at the end of the episode (for those eps that had 'em) is TOTALLY different in text than in sound.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
The girl has a somewhat British accent so that doesn't help. That and they use scientific terms that get lost on me.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Me, too -- hearing impaired.
I'm parentally impaired. With kiddos in the house, the TV room is seldom quiet until after bedtime.

But you're right. Captions aren't always 100% right. I've found The Simpsons to be the worst offender. Now and then, entire stretches of dialogue are COMPLETELY different.

And foreign languages are always fun. If a character starts speaking Spanish or Chinese, now and then you'll have a captioner that actually keeps up. But usually they just type: <SPEAKING SPANISH> or <DIALOGUE IN CHINESE.>

Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM

408 posts, read 396,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But you're right. Captions aren't always 100% right. I've found The Simpsons to be the worst offender. Now and then, entire stretches of dialogue are COMPLETELY different.

And foreign languages are always fun. If a character starts speaking Spanish or Chinese, now and then you'll have a captioner that actually keeps up. But usually they just type: <SPEAKING SPANISH> or <DIALOGUE IN CHINESE.>
I'm getting a little OT, but there was a window of a few years (ended a couple of years ago) in which some programs *routinely* got strong Spanish expletives past censors -- the kind of stuff that would never have passed muster if it had been in English. Until the networks got enough Spanish-capable closed captioners working, you would get those <SPEAKING SPANISH> captions, but my Hispanic wife caught right on. My Name Is Earl has a few episodes with scenes like that, usually when Catalina and Joy are arguing. Some of the things Catalina says to Joy would get you knifed if you said them in a bar.

Lately, though, the Spanish expletives are starting to get bleeped out and the censors are getting wise. Oh well.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
I'm getting a little OT, but there was a window of a few years (ended a couple of years ago) in which some programs *routinely* got strong Spanish expletives past censors -- the kind of stuff that would never have passed muster if it had been in English. Until the networks got enough Spanish-capable closed captioners working, you would get those <SPEAKING SPANISH> captions, but my Hispanic wife caught right on. My Name Is Earl has a few episodes with scenes like that, usually when Catalina and Joy are arguing. Some of the things Catalina says to Joy would get you knifed if you said them in a bar.

Lately, though, the Spanish expletives are starting to get bleeped out and the censors are getting wise. Oh well.
Even back in the '80s on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Captain Picard would occasionally curse in French, saying words that you could never say in English on TV.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 17,026,440 times
Great episode tonight, and MORE Sky. A LOT more Sky! WOO HOO!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,646,622 times
I don't know anything about the precursor "The Avengers" but I am really liking this show.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Yeah, last night's was really good. Not sure it was better than last week's, but a worthy successor nonetheless. They're actually trying to make the characters interesting in themselves now rather than just vehicles for plot. So far, my only big gripe about this show is it needs more Ming Na Wen. She's being completely under utilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV