Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,105,712 times

Advertisements

I stilll think that this is a show that only Squirrel Girl can save.

Doesn't Joss Whedon do wonders with quirky characters and females with superpowers?

In the comics, S.H.I.E.L.D did try to recruit her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,661,191 times
That must be what DH put up in the bedroom. It's horrible! The sound level suddenly goes from very low to extremely deafening jet-plane-takeoff LOUD! I hate it and sometime...sometime, somehow I'll sabotage it! Ha-ha! So don't be surprised if that happens in your household!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I am technologically impaired. I have surround sound and I cant get the settings right from channel to channel and source to source. If it is a quiet moment with the two cockney british geeks talking I have to turn it up because dialouge only comes out of my center speaker. Then five seconds later is KAAAA-BOOOOOOM JET TAKING OFF WAKE YOUR KIDS BACK UP DADDY....or a commercial and CRASH SLAM BUY A NEW INSURANCE POLICY BECAUSE YOUR WIFE IS IN THE OTHER ROOM ANGRY, FIND THE REMOTE AND VOLUME DOWN QUICK.

And it is back and forth like that the whole show.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Anyone else having difficulty understanding the two nerds? I have to crank up the volume to make out half of their dialogue.
I thought it was me. I am hearing impaired. Even though I have hearing aides I still have a problem understanding what they are saying. I have an old TV so the sound isn't always so great and ABC shows are especially hard to understand. Castle drives me nuts to when it comes to hearing. Beckett's voice is so low I can hardly make out what she is saying.

I use close captioning but shows like S.H.I.E.L.D and Castle move so fast it's sometimes difficult to keep up with reading the dialogue, watching the action and trying to catch what I can hear. I am exhausted by the time these shows are over.

I live in an apartment so I am afraid to crank up the volume too much for fear of disturbing the neighbors but that's the only way I can make out what the nerds are saying.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,036,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Isn't it one of ABC's highest rated shows?
The show had 6.89 million viewers last episode.

Tuesday Final Ratings: ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’, ‘The Voice’, ‘The Biggest Loser’ & ‘David Blaine: Real or Magic’ Adjusted Up - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM

22,957 posts, read 28,386,650 times
So yeah, it's #2 in its timeslot and one of the network's best performing shows. Very unlikely it'll get cancelled. Moved to a different timeslot? Maybe. but it'll be here next season.

My biggest problem with the show is that it seems to be taking all its cues from shows like NCIS, CSI, etc. You know the formula shows:

Teaser: Introduce mystery.
Act 1: Heroes begin investigating mystery.
Act 2: Heroes run into complication, and close with a big reveal.
Act 3: Resolution.
Epilogue: Teaser moment for next episode.

S.H.I.E.L.D. agents aren't supposed to be detectives or crime scene investigators. If you want to take a cue from other shows, then look at The Avengers movie or Breaking Bad. That is cinematic storytelling. You need to get your heroes in conflict right away and amp it up to the climax. And conflict isn't always about fighting. There is emotional conflict, psychological conflict, sexual conflict, spiritual conflict, etc.

So far, this show is mostly the agents running around looking for things while they talk and trade one-liners.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So yeah, it's #2 in its timeslot and one of the network's best performing shows. Very unlikely it'll get cancelled. Moved to a different timeslot? Maybe. but it'll be here next season.

My biggest problem with the show is that it seems to be taking all its cues from shows like NCIS, CSI, etc. You know the formula shows:

Teaser: Introduce mystery.
Act 1: Heroes begin investigating mystery.
Act 2: Heroes run into complication, and close with a big reveal.
Act 3: Resolution.
Epilogue: Teaser moment for next episode.

S.H.I.E.L.D. agents aren't supposed to be detectives or crime scene investigators. If you want to take a cue from other shows, then look at The Avengers movie or Breaking Bad. That is cinematic storytelling. You need to get your heroes in conflict right away and amp it up to the climax. And conflict isn't always about fighting. There is emotional conflict, psychological conflict, sexual conflict, spiritual conflict, etc.

So far, this show is mostly the agents running around looking for things while they talk and trade one-liners.
I think it works fine as an NCIS/CSI style show because rather than being heroes, the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. act more as an investigative agency like the ones who worked with Agent Colson to find Thor's hammer in the New Mexico desert. They have combat training but only use it when needed.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it works fine as an NCIS/CSI style show because rather than being heroes, the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. act more as an investigative agency like the ones who worked with Agent Colson to find Thor's hammer in the New Mexico desert. They have combat training but only use it when needed.
I'm not saying every episode has to concentrate around good guys fighting bad guys. Not at all. I am saying that good storytelling centers around a character you care about being faced with a conflict and trying to overcome that.

Shows like NCIS/CSI etc. center around a new msytery every week. It's formula. It lacks any tension whatsoever, because 5 minutes in, you already know how it's going to end. The next 40 minutes are only details. That gets boring fast.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,233,486 times
Whedonverse (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) has pretty much used that as a basic structure for storytelling, IIRC. I wonder what the deal with using actual Marvel characters, aside from SJ as Nick Fury for a hot minute? Correct me if I'm wrong, Whedon, seems to take his time building characters, Willow, took quite some time to build up.

I'm not bothered by the one-liners, I much prefer Joss' quips, don't know why. I don't know, Whedon has this task of creating a story within an already set universe ... certainly needs more interesting characters asap. I don't really care for half the crew, looking at you hacker. Just feel he needs to employ more 'super' and nothing less because I feel this is walking the line and falling over to the side of Dollhouse, meh.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Actually, I find Whedon's dialogue the single biggest weakness of his writing. Yes, it's snarky. It's also unnatural. People don't really talk like that. Whedon needs to take a page from Elmore Leonard on dialogue: If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM

861 posts, read 1,150,468 times
I think the show needs a lot more of Skye running in wet clothes like she did a few episodes back. My wife keeps asking why I haven't deleted that episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV