Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There's rumors and I repeat, RUMORS of this happening sooner than you may think.
Are there rumors that the show is going to be cancelled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 03:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Are there rumors that the show is going to be cancelled?
If you look at the ratings it could but when you look at ratings in general for all broadcast TV, they aren't truly in danger as compared to shows Selfie.

Spoiler
There is supposed to be some Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in Avengers: Age of Ultron with a possible return of Coulson o the big screen.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,085 times
Quote:
If you look at the ratings it could but when you look at ratings in general for all broadcast TV, they aren't truly in danger as compared to shows Selfie.

Spoiler
There is supposed to be some Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in Avengers: Age of Ultron with a possible return of Coulson o the big screen.
I hope they keep them around for a while. They are starting a series based on the lady in the Capt. America movie. At least that's what it looks like from the commercials.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I hope they keep them around for a while. They are starting a series based on the lady in the Capt. America movie. At least that's what it looks like from the commercials.
Yes, the pilot of the show was basically in Iron Man 3 as the one shot Agent Carter.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I would be SHOCKED if this show were cancelled. Remember that not only is Marvel Comics owned by Disney, but so is ABC, and Disney is building a huge cross-media release of the Marvel movies. They are raking in the dough from movies, TV, toys, video games, comic books, graphic novels, T-shirts, snacks, etc., etc., etc. Agents of SHIELD isn't just a TV show for them, it's a 47 minute commercial every week for the rest of their products. As long as the show stays in its C-level in the ratings and as long as the movies, etc. are big hits, it will stick around.

In fact, if Daredevil is a hit on Netflix (as I think it will be), I would be very surprised if we don't get another Marvel TV show within the next few years.

The shame of it is: Marvel's cartoons are still really bad. Warner Brothers/DC is still putting them to shame in the cartoon department. Which is a tragedy, considering that Disney --- the most successful animation juggernaut in the universe --- now owns all the Marvel characters. DC manages to put out cartoons that appeal to both adults and little kids, while Marvel seems content for all their cartoons to be geared only for 8 year olds.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 AM

I think Hell's Kitchen (what Marvel is calling the Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Power Man Iron Fist and The Defenders Netflix series) is expected to be more HBO than ABC. Which knowing Daredevil, I think works much better for it. I think if anything, ABC would get a Spider-man spin-off (Marvel STILL has the TV rights to Spider-man somehow) from that with some crossover (just because Spider-man is much more popular and known to the public. I've also heard rumors of The Runaways being a series at some point as well.

As for the Marvel animated universe its problem is it is a mix of the serious Teen Titans with the more laughable Teen Titans Go, especially if you watch Ultimate Spider-Man and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Avengers Assemble isn't that bad of a show but it isn't Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I am excited for what the next show, Guardians of the Galaxy where it can work inside the style of the different animated Marvel shows. As for Disney's animation tv shows, besides Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls and to an extent Fish Hooks, they are nowhere near what they had during the Disney afternoon as well as Kim Possible or Lilo & Stitch. That said, I wouldn't put those Marvel series in the same light as Phineas & Ferb or Gravity Falls and if anything on the same level as Fish Hooks.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
I think if anything, ABC would get a Spider-man spin-off (Marvel STILL has the TV rights to Spider-man somehow) from that with some crossover (just because Spider-man is much more popular and known to the public. I've also heard rumors of The Runaways being a series at some point as well.
Spider-Man ought to be a TV series, not a movie franchise. The episodic nature of television is just much more suited to comic books. The problem is that a story like Spider-Man is very special effects intensive, and TV shows just don't have the budget for that. Spidey has been a cartoon staple for years, but Marvel still continues to produce Spidey cartoons geared for 8 year olds. The ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN comics are actually much more sophisticated. They're still kid-friendly for the most part, but well written enough for adults to enjoy. The ULTIMATE SPIDEY cartoons? No. It's like Pokemon in a Spidey suit.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Spider-Man ought to be a TV series, not a movie franchise. The episodic nature of television is just much more suited to comic books. The problem is that a story like Spider-Man is very special effects intensive, and TV shows just don't have the budget for that. Spidey has been a cartoon staple for years, but Marvel still continues to produce Spidey cartoons geared for 8 year olds. The ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN comics are actually much more sophisticated. They're still kid-friendly for the most part, but well written enough for adults to enjoy. The ULTIMATE SPIDEY cartoons? No. It's like Pokemon in a Spidey suit.
I don't mind Spider-Man movies so long as they don't cram too much into it. Spiderman 3 could have EASILY been two (if not three for a Carnage film) movies to flesh out Venom properly with the symbiote bonding with Eddie Brock at the end of 3 and in 4 it is Venom vs. Spiderman and if they wanted to bring back Sandman, they could have easily done that. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was just a case of including too many villains in. You had Electro who no one really could hate because he was a loser that "died" and he was covered up and you also had Norman Osborne who unseen in 1 die and Harry only becomes Green Goblin out of a way to heal the Osborne curse which he blames Spiderman for because he wouldn't let him try to use his blood to save him. The action in this was just too much and a lot of good stuff was just cut out of the movie like the awesome scene between Richard and Peter in the graveyard after Gwen's death.

As for a series, as we've seen with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Flash, I think Spider-Man can work as a live action series. They have rather high budgets for the CG with graphics and are actually shown on network television.

As for the cartoons, the 90's era on Fox with X-Men and Spider-Man were kid shows but they very much followed a comic story arc for the season often with multiple episode arcs. And when I say multiple episodes, try three, four or five episodes dedidcated to the fight against D'Ken getting the Mkron Crystal, Apocalypse trying to destroy time, the Dark Phoenix or in the case of Spider-Man, the return of Captain America from his coma during Six Forgotten Warriors. To be fair, Ultimate Spider-Man is doing a version of the Spider-verse storyline this season with the Drake Bell Peter Parker of the show (I agree, bad casting) going into Earth 2099 to meet Miguel O'Hara, Ultimate (Comics) Earth to meet Miles Morales, Marvel Noir and I think the earth of Spider-Ham as well as a few others I don't recognize.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:19 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I would be SHOCKED if this show were cancelled. Remember that not only is Marvel Comics owned by Disney, but so is ABC, and Disney is building a huge cross-media release of the Marvel movies. They are raking in the dough from movies, TV, toys, video games, comic books, graphic novels, T-shirts, snacks, etc., etc., etc. Agents of SHIELD isn't just a TV show for them, it's a 47 minute commercial every week for the rest of their products. As long as the show stays in its C-level in the ratings and as long as the movies, etc. are big hits, it will stick around.
I think this is a good point--it maintains fan excitement between movies. I suspect the rolling out of "Agent Carter" indicates they're happy with what they're getting from Agents of SHIELD.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think this is a good point--it maintains fan excitement between movies. I suspect the rolling out of "Agent Carter" indicates they're happy with what they're getting from Agents of SHIELD.
I think that is also a way to build on the backstories of how the MCU got to the point it was at going into Iron Man, Iron Man 2 in the wake of Captain America. I'm all for that because you can only have so many villains in the movies and this way you can get the look into how HYDRA initially infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. heading into Winter Soldier. I'm sorry for spoiling that but if you read this thread, I imagine you know those events happened by this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV