Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 AM

142 posts, read 121,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
That's your opinion - and there are millions who would differ with your awful response.
What's amusing is that you make this point a mere one second after you declare Curb Your Enthusiasm 'unfunny'.

In other words, when millions agree with you then their opinion is paramount. When millions disagree with you, their opinion is meaningless.

You're quite a narcissist.

As to your original question, duh, Jerry Seinfeld wasn't interested. Why would he lend his name to such a thing that could only diminish the legacy of the show? Money? Hardly, given that he turned down $110,000,000 for one more season of the series. He was the co-creator and never signed away the rights to the series, so it could not go forward without his approval.

He had a very good run and decided to 'leave them wanting more' rather than milk every last cent he possibly could from a franchise. And this mystifies you... why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,697,614 times
Considering they would need Jerry's permission to relaunch it as such with or without him, that's not going to happen.
Secondly, the show wouldn't work without him know matter what you think or how unfunny you find him. Take a look at all the movies that flopped that were created due to a funny character on SNL. Just becuase someone is funny with random 1 liners over the course of 20 minutes, doesn't mean they can carry a show or movie.
Thirdly, The show ran it's course, it's over, done. According to those on the show, they were out of ideas despite the fact they rotated writers every couple of seasons to help out. Those of us who love the show are greatful it lasted 9 seasons, as most shows sputter and die long before then. I'm glad Seinfeld didn't pull a friends and keep trying to churn out subpar episodes in the name of money. In my opinion, Friends should have pulled the plug in Season 7 or 8 at the lastest. Seinfeld at least went out on top.

It's time to let go. Move on. You're hung up on some show from the 90's. Find some closure, then a new show. Once you're ready you can start watching Seinfeld reruns and the memories.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,591,860 times
Quote:
The show would be great without him.
Jerry was my favorite character! He was the "glue" that held his nutty friends together. Without him, the show would not work. Kramer, Elaine, and George weren't friends with each other, they were friends with Jerry. The show ended when it should have, and remains a favorite.

Quote:
None of the actors have come close to the success of that show, and would probably love to revive it... especially Kramer.
Julia Louis Drefus has had great success starring in her own series, The New Adventures of Old Christine, and now Veep.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,152,934 times
Outside of Julia Louise Dreyfus, the main cast has lost their chops. Jerry just isn't funny anymore, kind of like Steve Martin, just old and complacent now. Same with George (Jason Alexander), he couldn't even be funny on a roast! Kramer was losing it even while the show was still on.

A 2 hour made-for-TV special movie episode would be interesting though, especially if they brought in many of the other players.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,211,158 times
A*f*t*e*r*s*e*i*n*f*e*l*d?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Jerry was my favorite character! He was the "glue" that held his nutty friends together. Without him, the show would not work. Kramer, Elaine, and George weren't friends with each other, they were friends with Jerry. The show ended when it should have, and remains a favorite.

Julia Louis Drefus has had great success starring in her own series, The New Adventures of Old Christine, and now Veep.
I never was a Seinfeld fan and rarely saw much of it. I thought I didn't like Julia Louis-Dreyfus but have just seen the HBO season marathon of Veep and found it to be an outstanding ensemble show. Witty dialogue, fast paced, great writing, good characters. I like the *Dreyfus in that show. Too bad I don't get HBO DTV was running a free viewing of HBO - I think around Easter - so I got to see Veep.

And New/Old Christine is okay, too.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,672,625 times
Oddly enough, I like the show, but I dont find the repeats as funny as I found the original airings. Plus, even though Jerry is the straight man, he still serves a purpose. I dont think the show would be as good without him, and I dont think you can just plug any ol' straight man in the role.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,130,859 times
That would be a question for the summer of 1998 definitely not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV