Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about this when The Guiding Light went off this past fall. At some point every soap that's currently on will be going off. I've noticed that every new soap that was tried during the 90's didn't last and isn't still on. This got me wondering what soaps will replace the older soaps when they eventually go off? Since there have been no new soaps that have been able to last then does this mean that one day daytime soaps will become extinct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I got to thinking about this when The Guiding Light went off this past fall. At some point every soap that's currently on will be going off. I've noticed that every new soap that was tried during the 90's didn't last and isn't still on. This got me wondering what soaps will replace the older soaps when they eventually go off? Since there have been no new soaps that have been able to last then does this mean that one day daytime soaps will become extinct?
I think they will be. Daytime shows seem to revolve around court shows and talk shows. I think that reality shows, though they're on at night, are replacing soaps.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
I certainly hope so. They are awful.

When you think about it it seems like the audience for soaps are the older generations 50+. I don't know anyone my age (30's) that watches them so eventually, they will die out.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
I watch a couple of soap (I'm almost 39), and I have been watching for years. They sure aren't intellectual shows, but they are a good entertainment, better than trashy talk shows or court shows.
I'm afraid they will disappear within the next few years... and won't be replaced by any fiction, only by real TV or such.
CBS is getting rid of another show in a few weeks, maybe their other two (though the most popular, and not only in the USA) will go soon after (so the rumor says)...

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
CBS is getting rid of another show in a few weeks,
Is that As The World Turns?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

When you think about it it seems like the audience for soaps are the older generations 50+. I don't know anyone my age (30's) that watches them so eventually.
I think that has to do with the viewership for the current soaps back when they orginially came on. Back in the 60's,70's and 80's most people were getting the three major networks(abc,cbs,nbc) so TV viewing was more concentrated on the shows on these networks. This may have helped these soaps to develop a bigger loyal audience. Nowdays with everybody having cable and satelite tv and with over 200 channels tv viewing is more spread out compared to the 70's for example giving people more options. This I guess keeps newer soaps from developing an audience like the older soaps were able to do.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is that As The World Turns?
It is.
I personnally don't watch it but I know it's been on for a long time, and I wonder what silly show will replace it!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
Probably a talk show which focuses on stories about judges on reality programs.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
I don't like soaps, but there is something a little sad when a form dies. However housewives aren't as common as they once were and these days they prefer talk shows or the like. In some ways that's good. Even though things like The View are annoying at least they're somewhat news involved so maybe housewives are more aware or interested in events now.

Although soaps are not really dying in a global sense, Latin America reportedly still loves soaps. So maybe the Spanish-language channels could keep soaps alive in a way. Maybe take a character from Guiding Light and have him/her move to Miami.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,817 times
The only soap I like is Coronation Street (a British soap).
All the American ones are horrible. The only good things about them are the clothes (especially the ladies'), and the handsome guys. If I watched an American soap, it would only be for the clothing and hair trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV