Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Well, what do ya say?
Conservative, Christian, Fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM

13 posts, read 19,293 times
Default not good...

Beautiful city , but....

horrible overpopulation problems
traffic 24/7
having to mix with rich people,
the people have bad self entitlement issues,
corrupt wealthy city officials

Just basic stuff like that.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
Talking In response

I haven't lived in Tulsa yet, but most of my friends do and love it. It seems to be a great mix. Lots of parks, a zoo, an aquarium. Lots of state parks and historical activities. There are some beautiful mountains to the east of Tulsa. After researching and talking to friends we have found that we can find a nice home in a decent part of town to live in and provide a quality public school education to my children.

There are quite a few churches, so if your interested there is sure to be one that suits your needs.

Nicest to me seems to be how friendly the city is in general.

After many years of just being a visitor, Tulsa is calling us home to Oklahoma as well. Can't wait to raise my kids there, start my nurse practitioner career here, and to permanent
Put down some roots to a place that just feels right.

On a negative, the toll roads get pricey, and there are some confusing roads if you aren't familiar.

We are so excited to be moving there by summer.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Tulsa, what's not to love! Such a great town us Okies have to convince ourselves that there's something wrong with it. Let's keep it a secret though. Keep those transplants to a minimum.

Noel Haggard Tell Me Something Bad About Tulsa - YouTube

Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
Question lack of police presence

I'm new to Tulsa and felt comfortable here almost immediately. I do have to say, I am very puzzled by the lack of police presence. Maybe they know something I don't know. Either there's not a lot of crime or the city has budget problems or just a lame, lackluster police force. At any rate, it does make me feel a little uneasy. Just hope nothing bad happens to me...looks like I'd be up a creek without a paddle!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
I don't think you've seen them but they are there. There is plenty of police presence on major arterials and at major shopping areas that I frequent in South Tulsa. There are some unmarked police cars that have well hidden light bars so you may not register a car as a cop car when you drive by it.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavken View Post
I'm new to Tulsa and felt comfortable here almost immediately. I do have to say, I am very puzzled by the lack of police presence. Maybe they know something I don't know. Either there's not a lot of crime or the city has budget problems or just a lame, lackluster police force. At any rate, it does make me feel a little uneasy. Just hope nothing bad happens to me...looks like I'd be up a creek without a paddle!
Maybe it's just where you live? I'm new to Tulsa as well and live in Mid-town but I see and hear the police all the time.

Someone complained about traffic but I don't think that's really the issue. I've noticed people here tend to drive slow and they block the lanes. I constantly have to pass people in the right lane.

Other than that I'm liking Tulsa but I wish Downtown would hurry up and get developed/re-developed. It has so much potential and will eventually get there but the people of Tulsa need to get out of their suburban mindset.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
First worst thing about Tulsa is the @#!%& Summer heat and humidity.

Second worst thing is the traffic due to poor planning which made it difficult and expensive to widen roads or allow for population growth.

Third worst thing is the neoconservative politics and fundamentalist religion, but that's Oklahoma in general.

Aside from that, I really like Tulsa. I probably cumutively spent more time there than anywhere else I've lived, though I've lived all over the USA.

I got kind of tired of Tulsa after awhile and have left time and time again but always end up back there. I left Oklahoma for 8 years and just recently returned, but unfortunately ended up settling (for now) in OKC.

Man, after living in OKC the past few months, Tulsa looks like an absolute jewel to me in comparison.

Oh yeah--another thing about Tulsa is that the downtown area really needs a shot of adrenaline. There are cool little districts and places to go take in shows and do other things around town, but the actual downtown pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at 6PM and is pretty dead on weekends. Or at least that was what it had been like for a long time before we left a few years back.

I hate to get so focused on food, but among the things I miss most about Tulsa are Coney I-Lander, Bill's Jumbo Burgers and the buffet at Bangkok Palace!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Oh yeah--another thing about Tulsa is that the downtown area really needs a shot of adrenaline. There are cool little districts and places to go take in shows and do other things around town, but the actual downtown pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at 6PM and is pretty dead on weekends. Or at least that was what it had been like for a long time before we left a few years back.
Tulsa still has a long way to go to get our downtown up and running, but the good news is, that it is now off of life support...LOL I don't know how long it has been since you been to downtown Tulsa, but the changes up in the Brady and Blue dome districts are dramatic. And the area east of downtown is now taking off. I think it is called East Village. And then there is the Perl District that is starting to come alive.

This month there is a good article in Oklahoma Today about the Brady District

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Tulsa still has a long way to go to get our downtown up and running, but the good news is, that it is now off of life support...LOL I don't know how long it has been since you been to downtown Tulsa, but the changes up in the Brady and Blue dome districts are dramatic. And the area east of downtown is now taking off. I think it is called East Village. And then there is the Perl District that is starting to come alive.

This month there is a good article in Oklahoma Today about the Brady District
I am really glad to hear this. I haven't been to Tulsa since 2005 but have spent most of my life there off and on. I was trying to convey that what I said above was my impression based on how it had been prior to my leaving the state for a few years.

Since it looks like we are going to be in Olahoma for the long haul, I sincerely hope we can get back to Tulsa--or any number of other places across the state--and get out of OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa