Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 AM

4,033 posts, read 2,718,480 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tulsa for almost four years, between 1994 and 1998. I came to Tulsa shortly after I left the military because I was offered a job there (telecommunications).

Like anyplace I've lived, there was good and bad about it. Beautiful scenery, and if you're like me and like to do "Sunday driving", that's going to be great. (With gas prices nowadays, I don't know if people still do that.)

By and large, very nice people--one of the few places I lived where my coworkers would invite me over to their homes for dinner and such. I actually liked it well enough that when I saw a lovely old-style house in Skiatook for sale, I had seriously been considering buying it and staying in Oklahoma permanently.

However, I did learn quickly you don't want north-facing windows in the winter. *grin*

Actually, in Tulsa's case, I think 'bad' wouldn't be the word I'm looking for. It's a great city for families, or if you grew up there. I was single and from out-of-state...which leads me to my point of if Tulsa has (or had) a problem, it seemed to be that Tulsa underestimated its own appeal. Any time somebody asked where I was from, and I said, "St. Louis," the immediate response would be, "So why would you move *here*?" It came across as putting down their own home city/state, which I don't think helped. Most of the single friends I made in Tulsa wound up leaving, and shortly after the last one left, I did too.

I don't know if the scene has changed for singles/non-natives, but I do remember always getting asked why I would want to move there. Maybe saying it that way sort of made Tulsa its own worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 44,401 times
1. The cookie-cutter developments and tiny lots
2. Lack of affordable housing in the few neighborhoods with nightlife
3. Food culture of huge portions and starchy, fried/breaded everything
4. Constant assumption that if you're over 25 you must have a family and want a suburban lifestyle where you live in a too-big boring McMansion, drive everywhere, never go outside and care only about getting your kids into state universities. (Tulsa realtors, I'm looking at you!)

Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
n/m

Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
n/m
Neiman Marcus?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Neiman Marcus?
I think that meant "not much". Tulsa doesn't have a Neiman Marcus, but they do have both a Saks Fifth Avenue and a locally-owned upscale department store.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,862,513 times
High property taxes are my pet peeve. That is why we are moving to Creek County where taxes are less than 1/2 of Tulsa taxes!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 128,428 times
The one bad thing that is really getting on my nerves is all of this construction. The city can't do a few projects here or there but have to have nearly twenty major construction projects going on. Can't stand that one bit.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
im considering moving to tulsa from saint louis,mo? will it be an easy adjustment

Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacoo View Post
im considering moving to tulsa from saint louis,mo? will it be an easy adjustment
If you are moving here from St. Louis MSA, I think the biggest thing you'll notice is that downtown isn't really isolated by the higways. There are plenty of streets that go under/over the highway and connect downtown with the immediate areas surrounding them. The second thing you'll notice is that Tulsa city is MUCH safer than St. Louis city. Tulsa MSA has a higher crime rate than St. Louis MSA but there are far fewer suburbs to balance out the Tulsa city crime rate. If you were to eliminate North Tulsa, our crime statistics would look more like Denver's.

Aside from missing major sports teams, I don't think there will a big adjustment. The major concerts all come to Tulsa and several acts are repeat performers at the new 5 year old arena (BOK) like Paul McCartney, The Who, Elton John, George Strait, Katy Perry, Kings of Leon, The Band Perry, ect.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM

40 posts, read 48,023 times
I would suggest an outer lying area . Better for bunch of reasons. I currently live just off of hwy 75 on 117. It's a small town called Sapulpa and you can be on a major highway or turnpike in less than 3 min. I have a home that is 2500+ square feet on a bit larger than an acre and my property taxes are @ 2200 a year and my insurance is 1980.00 a year. But in 2turns I am headed to the major shopping areas or on the way to OKC.

I am about to relocate to florida but only due my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa