Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefan11 View Post
I apologize for the people that have rubbed you the wrong way towards the school system here in Tulsa. Let me see if I can give you some way better insight on the public school system. The public school system in Tulsa has alot of fantastic options. In south Tulsa you have the Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, and Union school districts. Your boys would love any of these school districts.

Broken Arrow- If you want size then you've got it. Broken Arrow is hands down the largest school district in the area, but is a great opportunity for your boys to get involved in a wide array of activities, clubs, and organizations. Band reigns king at Broken Arrow. The Broken Arrow marching band is one of the best in the country and has won more large school state championships then any other school in Oklahoma and recently won the "national championship" of high school marching band. BA also has a growing football program that is quickly becoming one of the best in the state. Although the campuses are spread out you will find the area to be very pleasing and relaxing.

Bixby- Bixby is one of the fastest growing communities in Oklahoma and so is the school district. Although smaller then some of the other districts Bixby still offers many of the same opportunities the larger school districts offer. Bixby has an outstanding band program as well as a great baseball program. Bixby won the state championship last year. This doesn't however mean your son would have any trouble getting on the team. Bixby has built all new facilities for its football and baseball programs and is continuing to improve facilities both in academics and athletics.

Jenks- Not as large as Union or Broken Arrow, but still pretty good sized. The Jenks area of town really is pretty with its riverside community ambience. This community also is rapidly growing and has built several attractions along the river including the aquarium and riverside entertainment distrcts and will be beginning construction on a new development mnaking the city have a great urban feel. The school district is also fantastic. Although the athletic facilities are not as nice as some of the other schools they still have many fantastic programs. In Jenks football is king. Jenks and Union are both ranked as some of the top programs in the country and the rivalry between these schools is one of the biggest in the nation.

Union- If quality of facilities is what you are looking for then this is the place. Located in a considerably busier part of town your boys would really love Unions offerings academically and atletically. Like I mentioned above football is king at Union, but they also have a very good basebal program as well. One of my realtives teaches at Union and loves the school district This part of town is also pretty and actually is moving into a part of town that is hillier as you slowly move towards midtown.

In the midtown, east, west, and north parts of town you have Owasso and Tulsa Public. These school districts as well have many great offerings and should certainly not be ignored.

Owasso- Although this city feels a seperated from Tulsa it really isn't that far away and has alot to offer. Like some areas in south Tulsa, Owasso on the north side is experincing a building boom. The city is quite beautiful and the school district is fantastic. Owasso has very successful band and football programs, but like you mentioned baseball is king. I am not sure how this would affect your son ability to make the team, but they certainly are the best. The facilites at Owasso are wonderful and like all the school disticts in the area are constantly upgrading.

Tulsa Public- Personally I feel like Tulsa Public gets a bad wrap. It may not be to the quality of some of the suburban school districts, but still has alot to offer. If you love the pictures above of midtown then you might consider Tulsa Public. There are several very good high schools in the district. Your boys would probably really enjoy either Edison or Booker T. Washington. Edison has one of the top Jazz band programs in the state, but is not as dominate in some of the big time sports, but not sure about baseball. Academically however Edison ranks very high and has very nice facilities. Booker T. Washington is the academic king. BTW is constantly ranked as one of the top schools in the nation for its academics and offers many courses not found at the other schools. They have a fantastic football program, but again right now not sure about baseball, but I can find out for you. Although not located in the greatest part of town it really is a gem to the city.

I hope this can give you a little better feel for the area. I would personally suggest you and your boys come and visit and take a look around at the different schools and surrounding areas to get a feel for each location. Each area has something different to offer, but all offer wonderful experiences without the crazy cost. You do not need to go to a private school to get a fantastic education in Tulsa. All of the schools offer Advanced Placemant courses for college credit and most of the schools offer students opportunities to take courses at the different community colleges to get a leg up in their education. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. I will be on here each day to make sure they get answered properly. We don't want to scare you from the move and want you and your boys to have a great transition to our beautiful city.

Fantastic post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
Agree - very good post!

FYI - Booker T. Washington is a *magnet* high school. It is one of the most academically prestigiuos high schools in the region. But students must apply to get in, and it is very competitive.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 PM

20 posts, read 71,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Agree - very good post!

FYI - Booker T. Washington is a *magnet* high school. It is one of the most academically prestigiuos high schools in the region. But students must apply to get in, and it is very competitive.
I thought I might have missed some details like this. Any information I left out would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:41 PM

265 posts, read 904,292 times
Great post Pokefan11

Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
I was under the impression that Holland Hall and Cascia Hall were Tulsa's premier prep schools for Protestants and Catholics, respectively, and that Bishop Kelly wasn't quite as good academically. Am I mistaken?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
Default Great Information!!

It looks like the Tulsa area is quite nice all around. Too many choices...
We will just have to get there, drive around and get a feel for the different areas.. Hopefully we will make a good decision. Thank you so very much. You took a lot of time to post your reply and I appreciate it

Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

108 posts, read 543,061 times
Default I think Tulsa skyline has so many great views and our parks are great.

Not only is Tulsa very picturesque, the city of Tulsa has had so much exciting development in the last 5 years! Tulsa's latest pride and joy is the Tulsa Drillers Ballpark located in downtown Tulsa (pictured below) .

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
I think any school district is as good as the parents of the students. As long as the parents are actively involved in their child's education it is all good.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
None of it was quite good enough for the op though.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 PM

22 posts, read 33,146 times
I will be honest with you. I have been in Tulsa area since 8th grade and now I have a 8th grader. Tulsa itself I would not send my kids too. Jenks is not one of my top choices. Union is very much a sports school. Broken Arrow is a good school but is very large school. Out of those I would go for Broken Arrow or Union. If you want a smaller school check into Glenpool. It's about 20 mins south of Tulsa. Great school and community with all the benefits of a small town but close enough to the big town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa