Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times

Advertisements

TulsaBusiness.com – Tulsa Business online media newspaper Tulsa News ebusiness research journal (http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?lID=7&sID=8&m1=9&cID=Z&aID=09408772.74 74179.637130.2400883.2126995.380&aID2=49001 - broken link)

Quote:
The League of American Bicyclists awards Tulsa the Bicycle Friendly Community Award.

The award makes Tulsa the first community in Oklahoma to be recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community.
Quote:
“Tulsa is a great place for biking, with its gentle terrain alternating with challenging hills," said Mayor Kathy Taylor. "Our biking community has worked diligently to achieve this designation and this recognition. The City's support for biking and walking or running is seen in our achievements on the trails - from our extensive citywide bike trail system that allows you to bike around town safely, to our bike lanes and support of bicycling events like Tulsa Tough, hosted in Tulsa. This designation is exciting and puts Tulsa on the national biking map.”
Guess we don't get points for hitting them any more, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM

288 posts, read 918,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

Guess we don't get points for hitting them any more, eh?
That is one reason I'm looking forward to moving out of Tulsa. I'd like to use my car less and my bike more for health, financial, and environmental reasons. But too many car drivers in Tulsa think that they own the road and that it's all right to hit a bike rider.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,440,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
That is one reason I'm looking forward to moving out of Tulsa. I'd like to use my car less and my bike more for health, financial, and environmental reasons. But too many car drivers in Tulsa think that they own the road and that
Quote:
it's all right to hit a bike rider
It's not alright!?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 PM

They should stay on the sidewalk where they belong..................

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Bicycles are NOT supposed to be on the sidewalk. They are SUPPOSED to be on the road. Don't you remember driver's ed?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM

I don't mean to pry, but do you have a sense of humor? Do you have a hard time discerning between tongue in cheek and serious?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,440,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't mean to pry, but do you have a sense of humor? Do you have a hard time discerning between tongue in cheek and serious?
Well,....I can see that it's not me. This person is either old or has been raised in a serious envronment

Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM

I'm 34 and I have a sense of humor, but both my parents are avid bicyclists and I'm tired of hearing about them going to a funeral of one of their biking friends who got killed by a hit and run driver or visiting a friend who has been hospitalized due to a hit and run driver. I'm wondering when my dad will actually die from being hit (he's been hit 7 or 8 times so far. I'm tired of being too afraid to ride my bike because of cars sidesweeping me, drivers screaming at me, and beer cans being thrown at me.

So sorry that I don't find any of it to be funny.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,793,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
I'm 34 and I have a sense of humor, but both my parents are avid bicyclists and I'm tired of hearing about them going to a funeral of one of their biking friends who got killed by a hit and run driver or visiting a friend who has been hospitalized due to a hit and run driver. I'm wondering when my dad will actually die from being hit (he's been hit 7 or 8 times so far. I'm tired of being too afraid to ride my bike because of cars sidesweeping me, drivers screaming at me, and beer cans being thrown at me.

So sorry that I don't find any of it to be funny.
Well, I agree, it's not funny, but I will tell you this. A lot of bikers think THEY own the road, and make it easy to hit them. They and runners always give me a minor heart attack when they're out there in bad weather when you're trying your best to keep the car/truck on the road, and you have to deal with people on the road.

In Denver, most streets have a bike lane, which I think is an excellent idea. It gives the bikers a definite place to be without causing trouble and danger to drivers.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah, bike lanes would be fantastic. No bicyclist enjoys having to ride a bike in the road with SUVs. What scares me is when I see a bicyclist trying to hug the far right side of a lane--that's the most dangerous thing to do because then cars will try to pass them IN the lane, and very very few lanes are wide enough for them to do so and keep the legal distance between themselves and the bicyclists. The ones that ride in the middle of the lane (like they're supposed to) stand a better chance, but many are intimidated (or forced) to the side by drivers. I got my bike when I was living in Iowa City--a very bicycle friendly city--and rode it all over. Here? Poor thing is gathering dust in the garage, though I've also got winter and our current monsoon season to blame. I sure would love to live in a city with enough bike lanes that I wouldn't even need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: