Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 38,337 times

Advertisements

Hey -

I'm moving to Tulsa in about 6 months for my first job out of college from the Oklahoma City area where I grew up. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Tulsa. So, I'm trying to get prepared early.

I want to live in an area that will be fun for a 20-something, but still somewhat safe. Something like the Deep Deuce area that has sprung up in OKC adjacent to Bricktown. Being able to walk to coffee shops, restaurants etc would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Also, I don't want to live in a big apartment complex. I'm more interested in a townhouse, loft, or rustic apartment that has some character.

Rent wise I could afford up to $1300/month, though I would like to pay less than that

Any info on neighborhood boundaries would be great (for example: stay north of x street and east of z street etc)

Ultimately, I'll go driving in Tulsa to make my final decision, but I needed some ideas on where to start. Also, if anyone has had a good living experience in a particular building let me know!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 25,956 times
If your strictly talking about Tulsa and not any of the burbs then DO NOT go north of 21st or east of Memorial, unless it's way south.

It sounds like you would be most happy in the brookside area.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 AM

687 posts, read 2,351,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osumason View Post
If your strictly talking about Tulsa and not any of the burbs then DO NOT go north of 21st or east of Memorial, unless it's way south.

It sounds like you would be most happy in the brookside area.
Don't listen to the above poster; that statement is generalized and I live in that area with NO problems.

Saying that, there are problems everywhere, including 'way south'.

While Tulsa doesn't have anything yet that has sprung up downtown that resembles Deep Deuce, you might align yourself with some of the newer apartments that are beginning to spring up in the Cherry Street area (15th Street between Peoria and Utica). This area is an older area of town that has been in the process for many years of being restored to it's former glory by renovating older brownstone apartments, eclectic shops springing up, and pubs and restaurants opening there. I think Cherry St has more of a Deep Deuce feel to it than Brookside does, because of it's proximity to downtown, although it's not adjacent to downtown per se, it's closer than Brookside is.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 PM

258 posts, read 1,015,070 times
I would say look for stuff in the Cherry Street (15th street from Utica west to the River) and Brookside (Peoria from I44 north to 15th) areas. There are some neat apartments along Riverside and down 21st to the river as well that will be near Brookside/Cherry Street and Downtown.

Basically all the areas one could call "Historic Mid-town". Plus the Uptown area and Downtown are getting more and more newer loft apartments and renovations of older ones.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
This is probably late and I don't know the neighborhoods, but here's a list of available apts. in Tulsa that are under $600.

Tulsa Apartments for Rent - OK - ApartmentGuide.com

There are 120 of them. I'm sure some aren't in the safest areas, but you can cross check them with the Tulsa Crime Map.

http://www.tulsapolice.org/mapcentral.html

Not sure if that one works cause it seemed to have a glitch a while back. Here's another one.

http://www.spotcrime.com/ok/tulsa

If you find an apartment you're interested in, you can put the addy into the spot (upper left hand side) and it'll show you how safe the area is. Good luck to you.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 38,337 times
This is very helpful! Thanks so much!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 PM

50 posts, read 170,437 times
I would suggest looking for apartments in the Riverview neighborhood from 15th to about 26th and Boulder to Riverside.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 AM

445 posts, read 1,071,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinblueline View Post
Hey -

I'm moving to Tulsa in about 6 months for my first job out of college from the Oklahoma City area where I grew up. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Tulsa. So, I'm trying to get prepared early.

I want to live in an area that will be fun for a 20-something, but still somewhat safe. Something like the Deep Deuce area that has sprung up in OKC adjacent to Bricktown. Being able to walk to coffee shops, restaurants etc would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Also, I don't want to live in a big apartment complex. I'm more interested in a townhouse, loft, or rustic apartment that has some character.

Rent wise I could afford up to $1300/month, though I would like to pay less than that

Any info on neighborhood boundaries would be great (for example: stay north of x street and east of z street etc)

Ultimately, I'll go driving in Tulsa to make my final decision, but I needed some ideas on where to start. Also, if anyone has had a good living experience in a particular building let me know!

Thanks so much!
Cherry Street, Mid-Town area, (Utica Square and hospital areas), Brookside.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 AM

445 posts, read 1,071,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Don't listen to the above poster; that statement is generalized and I live in that area with NO problems.

Saying that, there are problems everywhere, including 'way south'.

While Tulsa doesn't have anything yet that has sprung up downtown that resembles Deep Deuce, you might align yourself with some of the newer apartments that are beginning to spring up in the Cherry Street area (15th Street between Peoria and Utica). This area is an older area of town that has been in the process for many years of being restored to it's former glory by renovating older brownstone apartments, eclectic shops springing up, and pubs and restaurants opening there. I think Cherry St has more of a Deep Deuce feel to it than Brookside does, because of it's proximity to downtown, although it's not adjacent to downtown per se, it's closer than Brookside is.
BigOkie..the OP asked for boundaries and particular neighborhoods anyway..may as well put it out there. Although I do get what you're saying, but since she's not familiar with the area...

Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 AM

687 posts, read 2,351,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
BigOkie..the OP asked for boundaries and particular neighborhoods anyway..may as well put it out there. Although I do get what you're saying, but since she's not familiar with the area...
Tough to do for Tulsa. Just do a crimesearch to get an idea of where it looks like might be a little seedy. You'd be surprised on those maps just how seedy the nicer parts of town appear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: