Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,039 times

Advertisements

Hi I have been reading this forum for several hours and my wife has been looking into homes in the south Tulsa area. I am so impressed with what I am reading about south Tulsa. To give background, my family is a young family: I am 30, my wife is 26 and my children are 6, 5, and 10 months. We are a private family living in southern California. We live down a dirt road in a very undeveloped area (1 grocery chain store and 5 fast food joints) and we are looking for a similar place to live in southern Tulsa area. A small town with nice people and a conservative social class. A lot of great posts have been made about Jenks, Bixby, and Broken Arrow; and my wife has family in BA. One of my concerns that I have is I am a union operating engineer and I have been running heavy equipment out here for 5 years am and curious as OK is a right to work state how the union wages/oppurtunities for employment are in south tulsa areas. I don't mind working non union at all but for a smoother transition will probably transfer unions for however long I can. Also any other recomendations regarding small communties, schools, rental prices (if we need to rent a house before buying) and any and everything you can help me to know about the area, that would be great. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,296,651 times
To the best of my knowledge Oklahoma is not a union state. It is The Native State. The Tulsa area has a population of approaching one million or more. It is considered by many to be the art capitol of Oklahoma, and it has excellent doctors and hospitals. I would be surprised if you pull California wages, but on the other had your COL should be considerably less.

Tulsa is in Oklahoma's Tornado Alley, Twisters track SW to NE and follow 1-44. Considering the Tulsa growth pattern in the last few years, you might have better luck finding what you want east of Tulsa around 412 between Tulsa and the Arkansas border, or possibly due North farther from I-44.

You might consider this, Joplin, Mo., a NEOK neighbor was recently devistated by a EF-F Tornado. Heavy equipment operators will be busy for at at least 3 years while they rebuild hospitals and schools and clean up more than a million tons of debris

Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Definately not looking to make California wage. I feel the union wages have hurt us more than helped us. I have worked less because it cost my employer 70+ dollars and hour to pay me to work. But I do have years invested in training and pension and experience so would like to learn more about local 627 (I believe) and see what oppurtunites are available. Not an issue at all to decrease pay to a more reasonable wage for the occupation and cost of living. But am curious how Tulsa area has worked out for other union operating engineers. Also curious about rental properties esp in BA. We cannot find a lot of listings on the internet but I was hoping that is because properties may be listed more privatly or by newspaper. The more I read though I am more and more I am in love with this area. It may premature on my part but I have lived in small towns in LA, MS, UT and CA and definately more comfortable with that. I am also wondering about construction in the area and general forecast of potential jobs. Thank you so much for responding to my post and I anxiously await many more responses

Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM

210 posts, read 428,462 times
I don't think that we have many union jobs around here but that shouldn't stop you from really looking for good work with your skills. Tulsa has a few powerplants in town and I would think you could find work there easily.

We have lots of energy companies too and they are always hiring. Don't forget to check glenpool out on places to move. Its so close to Jenks anymore it won't be too long and they will be connected.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM

18,234 posts, read 25,891,419 times
Linicx makes a good point. There is going to be a lot of work to do in the Joplin area for a long time. The distance from Tulsa to Joplin is around 100 miles or so, just guessing.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Welcome to the okie forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadok5150 View Post
We live down a dirt road in a very undeveloped area (1 grocery chain store and 5 fast food joints) and we are looking for a similar place to live in southern Tulsa area.
Gee, I don't know.... this will be hard to find in Oklahoma. Just kidding. Sounds like every part of Oklahoma that isn't in or near a big town.

Quote:
I have worked less because it cost my employer 70+ dollars and hour to pay me to work.
<ACCCKKKKKKGGKKK!>

Sorry, just sprayed my screen. Kindly post a beverage alert.

$70/hour?

Good luck finding that here.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I started my job at $7.33/hour. I know you already KNOW you won't make California wages, just so you don't put that down on your app as what you are expecting. Of course, I am not talking union here. Just state or county, or private.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Linicx makes a good point. There is going to be a lot of work to do in the Joplin area for a long time. The distance from Tulsa to Joplin is around 100 miles or so, just guessing.
I have been commuting in southern Cal traffic 97 miles one way to Long Beach for over a year and that means leaving at 4 am to start work at 7. and leaving at 330 to arrive home at 6. so 100 miles may not be bad if the route there is not as bad as traffic in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
Tulsa has a few powerplants in town and I would think you could find work there easily.

We have lots of energy companies too and they are always hiring. Don't forget to check glenpool out on places to move. Its so close to Jenks anymore it won't be too long and they will be connected.
Thats really good to know and will definitely look into! That is one of the main concerns of moving out there is finding a job since it is not a job relocation. My wife has family out there and I have an Aunt out there as well and have heard and read nothing but great things. Do you happen to know any where that I can look into these places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Welcome to the okie forum.
Thank you very much! I have literally spent all day reading this forum back to early 2009 and feel somewhat familiar with the area a little bit and with many of the regular posters.

Quote:

Gee, I don't know.... this will be hard to find in Oklahoma. Just kidding. Sounds like every part of Oklahoma that isn't in or near a big town.
Sounds awesome!

Quote:

<ACCCKKKKKKGGKKK!>

Sorry, just sprayed my screen. Kindly post a beverage alert.

$70/hour?

Good luck finding that here.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I started my job at $7.33/hour. I know you already KNOW you won't make California wages, just so you don't put that down on your app as what you are expecting. Of course, I am not talking union here. Just state or county, or private.
Yeah the hourly wage plus fringe benefits and a few other factors unions have thrown in have disabled many of us in our efforts to take care of our families. I understand that union membership is quite low in OK. Theres only 1134 members in my particular union but as far as transitions it might be the best thing possible. We have discussed leaving Ca for a while and this maybe the perfect place for us as far as the community setting. We are really discouraged with Ca and many problems that face us everyday and as I mentioned earlier I have lived quite a bit of places and south Tulsa area sounds almost dreamy. Is there any other suggestions job related or concerning places of residency ect. that you could fill me in on. This is a major life decision and we want to be a prepared as possible. And thank you all for all your comments in this thread and many others it is very VERY helpful.

PS: We have no intention on being locust people and bringing our culture with us. We are essentially running away from it lol

Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,517,572 times
Quote:
I have been commuting in southern Cal traffic 97 miles one way to Long Beach for over a year and that means leaving at 4 am to start work at 7. and leaving at 330 to arrive home at 6. so 100 miles may not be bad if the route there is not as bad as traffic in SoCal

Thats really good to know and will definitely look into! That is one of the main concerns of moving out there is finding a job since it is not a job relocation. My wife has family out there and I have an Aunt out there as well and have heard and read nothing but great things. Do you happen to know any where that I can look into these places?

Thank you very much! I have literally spent all day reading this forum back to early 2009 and feel somewhat familiar with the area a little bit and with many of the regular posters.

Sounds awesome!

Yeah the hourly wage plus fringe benefits and a few other factors unions have thrown in have disabled many of us in our efforts to take care of our families. I understand that union membership is quite low in OK. Theres only 1134 members in my particular union but as far as transitions it might be the best thing possible. We have discussed leaving Ca for a while and this maybe the perfect place for us as far as the community setting. We are really discouraged with Ca and many problems that face us everyday and as I mentioned earlier I have lived quite a bit of places and south Tulsa area sounds almost dreamy. Is there any other suggestions job related or concerning places of residency ect. that you could fill me in on. This is a major life decision and we want to be a prepared as possible. And thank you all for all your comments in this thread and many others it is very VERY helpful.

PS: We have no intention on being locust people and bringing our culture with us. We are essentially running away from it lol
>>>>>
<<<<<

This is good news.

Just keep it a secret when you make the move....tell all the other Californians you're moving to Tejas or Nebraska......somewhere like that. Keep 'em guessing!

Hopefully they'll forget about this little piece of South-Central heaven we call Oklahoma.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM

641 posts, read 1,074,675 times
East side of Tulsa to Joplin is 75 mph all the way. But there is a toll, should mention.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM

31 posts, read 68,739 times
Don't think you will find anything as rural as a dirt road and a convenient store, but if you go a little further east in BA, you can be away from the crowds yet within a few minutes to the city. Also, you may want to check out Collinsville or a little further north. Or Coweta, which is close to BA. All are more of a rural setting.

When you say equipment operator, what exactly do you operate? Crane operators can make a decent living ($50-80k/year) if you have experience and certifications. Other heavy equipment operators can also do well. You may want to target civil (road/bridge) construction companies. Most likely, they will take you across the state (or maybe multiple states) to work on projects they procure. Of course, I suspect you are used to that already.

I should note I'm talking open-shop above. As others noted, unions are not big here. It is a "right to work" state. Although a few unions do exist. I do know of one construction company in the Pryor, OK area that is/was using union steel workers. I think Williams Construction was their name. Been years since I dealt with them, it could have all changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa