Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM

106 posts, read 364,306 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a web site (http://www.cheapcellphones.com/cellular_service.htm) (http://www.cheapcellphones.com/cellular_service.htm - broken link)
I have been looking to see what is offered and what company seems to provide the best service for the buck.

Since we are moving to Tucson from Guadalajara, we will need to establish cell service with a U. S. company.

I would appreciate knowing what company you use currently.
Are you happy with the service you get for the buck.
Would you change to a different company if you had the opportunity, and why?

We know a good number of folks who no longer have a land line in the house and use the cell phone exclusively. We hope to do this as well and are looking at plans that have two lines in the package.

Anyone have this type sevice package? If one has a package with 700 minutes/month, is this equally divided between the two phones? How does this work.

Also, do the caller and the call receiver get charged for time usage?

Thanks for the input.

Have a great day.
Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Smart move, Joskel . . .

Research is great, however, I've found most people either LOVE or HATE their Cell Phone Providers quite often in spite of the quality of service. Similar to Ford or Chevy Truck owners.

After a few bad experiences with the other guys, I switched to Sprint PCS and have been with them for about ten years and although not crazy about their Customer Service, the Voice Quality and Phone Service overall is superior and tough to beat. I am so satisfied with my service that I finally decided to drop my landline a few years ago. So far, no problems and/or complaints.

Important point to remember when shopping . . . unless you go with an unlimited plan, the Nights and Weekends option begins at 7PM with Sprint and 9PM with most of the other guys. That one point alone could make a huge difference in your Daytime Minutes usage.

I sure hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:15 AM

106 posts, read 364,306 times
Great information. Thanks, Bummer.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,582 times
I've got Verizon. I've never had an issues with the service itself. I also manage my company's verizon account and am on the phone with them quite a bit, switching devices, ordering accessories, etc. They are very easy to work with.

They are a bit expensive compared to some others but I think its worth it. I pay 160 for two lines, sharing 700 minutes, insurance and unlimited text on both and the unlimited blackberry data plan on one line.

Previously I was with TMobile and Sprint. TMobile was good but switched to Verizon for a better deal at something I wanted at the time, and have had no reason to look back since. Sprint... Sorry Bummer but I thought they're service and customer service to be horrible - and I was selling their product (as well as most of the competitor's alternatives) at the time!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Sprint... Sorry Bummer but I thought they're service and customer service to be horrible - and I was selling their product (as well as most of the competitor's alternatives) at the time!
That's what you hear from just about anybody else but Bummer.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,347,410 times
Verizon has never been mean to me or mine... they have been kind and cool persons to speak with... their service and pricing has always been excellent for my purposes... been with them for quite a long time...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Sorry Bummer but I thought they're service and customer service to be horrible - and I was selling their product (as well as most of the competitor's alternatives) at the time!
Not a problem, Chorizo. No dog in this show.

As I posted earlier . . . after AT&T, CellularONE and Verizon, I switched to Sprint and have never had a problem with their service. In fact, I have phone service at the TCC lower level when most others do not just in case Joskel is gonna be hanging out there. Their voice quality and performance is, and always has been perfect even when I was bringing my SSR home through the middle of nowhere (Auburn, IL to Tucson). Never have I been asked if I'm on a cell phone which is definitely not the case with some of the other guys. I agree their customer service sucks but, Thankfully, over the years the need to contact them has been rare.

Voice quality and performance is my primary concern and then price. Since I've been with them for about ten years, I have a great plan offering me 1000 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends beginning at 7PM plus unlimited Sprint to Sprint for 2 phones / 2 numbers all for 45 bucks. No one else even comes close.

Moderator cut: not necessary

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-05-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times
We have Verizon. Three phones, 700 minutes, but pay extra for text as none of are talented enough to do it. We had to keep our land line in CO because we were in a semi-dead zone (we could get service if we stood out on the deck exactly six inches from the railing, facing southwest during a rainstorm), but here, we also have to have a land line as our cell's are from CO and if we had to call 911 from them, it'd go to CO rather than OV which could significantly slow down response time. We also have Verizon on the car phone. We're really pleased with their service and prices. Currently, we're paying about $70.00 a month for two very basic phones, and one LG something-or-another-fancy phone for our son. The only time our bill goes up is when he decides to download a game, or play music or whatever he does with his fancy phone. Then it comes out of his paycheck, which puts a kibosh on his downloading until a few months have gone by and he becomes impulsive and downloads something before he remembers he's got to pay for it. So, our answer is Verizon. "Can you hear me now?"

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 AM

153 posts, read 522,095 times
T-Mobile has the absolute worst coverage in Tucson. It does not work in my house or in my office, and I do live and work in Central Tucson.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:52 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,515 times
The fact is all the majors are losing a ton of customers who are finally waking up and discovering how much they've been overcharged.

I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of text or multimedia messaging so far. For many these are features equal to or even more important than voice these days For those who don't need messaging? Then you're really getting hosed.

My suggestion - stay away from any company requiring a contract including Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc unless you must have some type of mobile device (HTC, iPhone, Palm, Blackberry, etc) that works with it OR you feel that spending $500 extra per year (or more) for the next 2 years is worth getting *possibly* better customer support. Some of the majors are getting wise and are starting to offer no contract alternatives.

Personally I would check out the prepaids that piggyback service from the majors. For instance, a fairly new service by Tracfone called Straighttalk uses Verizon's network so you can expect the same reliability with liberal voice and text limits for considerably less, plus no contract. I'm using it and have been quite happy. Customer service is actually better than my previous experience with Verizon, at least for the once instance I needed to talk with them in the past 4 months.

For those who are as verbose on their cell phones as they are on these forums it can be a real bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson