Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM

643 posts, read 2,055,248 times

Advertisements

My dad grew up in Sweetwater Texas, so I guess he's always kind of had that 'cowboy' thing going on. When we were kids in CA, he used to go deep sea fishing and nail the tail fins of the sharks he caught to the wall of the garage. I guess it's kind of like taxidermy.

When we all moved to NY, he traded in his Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd cassette tapes for country music CDs (yes, believe it or not, they DO have a small, but active country music 'scene' on Long Island). So, I guess as he gets older, it becomes more and more obvious where he came from and what he grew up with.

Whatever, anyways -- for Father's Day, I wanted to send him something authentically cowboy-ish-ie. I've seen some cheap souveniers here and there, but nothing really worth mailing across the country.

Where can I find something really odd and original -- like, a stuffed armadillo (it might look great next to his 'authentic' jackalope mount). Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
I'm not well-versed on the subject at all and I may send you too far when the stuff might be right under your nose, but Tombstone would be a good place for this kind of shopping. Come to think of it, perhaps Trail Dust Town here...

Trail Dust Town, located in Tucson, Arizona

Of course, there are the Western warehouses, but I've never set foot in one and have no idea what they carry.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM

100 posts, read 328,981 times
I was also going to suggest shopping in Tombstone.

What about on the reservation? They might have something.

You could always contact a local taxidermy shop and ask for an armadillo!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM

I saw a website for that Trail Dust Town, yeah... Maybe we'll go check it out just for shiggles.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM

How far away is Tombstone, anyways?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
How far away is Tombstone, anyways?
Depends on where you start in town... but about an hour drive.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,976 times
I second everyone's suggestion of Tombstone.

It makes for a great day trip. If you leave town around 8am. You can be there usually by 9:30 at the latest, see everything there is to see, have a bite to eat, catch a show or two and be back before 6pm.

As for the stuffed armadillo. You might get in the phone book and call around to some local taxidermists. We do not have armadillo in Arizona, that I know of anyway - so that specifically may be a bit hard to find.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
As for the stuffed armadillo. You might get in the phone book and call around to some local taxidermists. We do not have armadillo in Arizona, that I know of anyway - so that specifically may be a bit hard to find.
That's not AZ-ish anyway... She should get him a cow skull! Then again, they might be all over the place in TX, too... I don’t know.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,354,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
My dad grew up in Sweetwater Texas, so I guess he's always kind of had that 'cowboy' thing going on. When we were kids in CA, he used to go deep sea fishing and nail the tail fins of the sharks he caught to the wall of the garage. I guess it's kind of like taxidermy.

When we all moved to NY, he traded in his Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd cassette tapes for country music CDs (yes, believe it or not, they DO have a small, but active country music 'scene' on Long Island). So, I guess as he gets older, it becomes more and more obvious where he came from and what he grew up with.

Whatever, anyways -- for Father's Day, I wanted to send him something authentically cowboy-ish-ie. I've seen some cheap souveniers here and there, but nothing really worth mailing across the country.

Where can I find something really odd and original -- like, a stuffed armadillo (it might look great next to his 'authentic' jackalope mount). Any ideas?
How about a stuffed javelina?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:13 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,976 times
You know ZP, if you had just purchased that cast iron statue of a javelina for JBB, this would have been a lot easier!

In the last two weeks I've seen 6 javelina run across River rd just W of Swan. If I could only catch one of the buggers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson