Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM

23 posts, read 110,711 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Tucson area in the next couple of weeks. We like the Rancho Del Lago area, but south of there is nice as well. I am concerned about the Rosemont copper mine that might reopen down south. Are my concerns legitimate, or is the Sycamore Canyon, Santa Rita Ranch or Corona de tucson area ok? Ok as far as no environmental hazard? That area is beautiful, and less expensive. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM

344 posts, read 644,033 times
We lived in Ajo, Bisbee, and Globe for a long time and the mines had no affect on us.
There are some nice homes in the area and the schools there are excellent.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM

351 posts, read 977,194 times
Yup, I agree. Unless you are living within a mile or two of the Rosemont mine, the impact will be minimal. It will be a bit of an eyesore, but not any worse than living in certain areas of Sahuarita/Green Valley.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM

44 posts, read 90,133 times
I, too, liked the look of Rancho del Lago prior to moving. We also looked at houses in Sycamore Canyon and even found one we absolutely fell in love with. But, having visited on vacation, we drove around the areas and beautiful as they are, there is not enough shopping available for our preferences. Where do you go to grocery shop for the week? You have to go up to Rita Ranch. Driving 20+ minutes is OK if you make that conscious choice, but I just didn't want to be that far away. Our kids have friends in Rancho del Lago and it's an equally beautiful spot, but again, many locations in the area don't even have cable services (I don't know about Rancho Del Lago specifically). Just do your research. It's beautiful, but it's OUT there.

We settled in Rita Ranch and just love it. The school system (Vail) is superb in all the areas you mentioned.

Best of luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 AM

101 posts, read 248,150 times
I completely agree with Varula's post above. Really research the area before you commit.

We chose The Santa Rita Oasis community in Corona De Tucson mainly because of the great deal we got on our home and because of the very excellent school district.

However, anytime you head out to do any kind of shopping you need to plan to be gone at the very minium of an hour and a half because it's a good 25 minutes to the nearest grocery store or Walmart.

It does force us to be more aware of our spending and meal planning though which is a good thing for us but no more of those days of "Honey, I just don't feel like cooking stop and grab ??? on your way home" unless you don't mind cold take out.

You also need to ask yourself how long do you plan to stay? Because it is growing out here and just give it a couple of years and i'm sure shopping centers will be built to support the area.

Good Luck.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks Jenmar, I know what you mean. My son lives in Tucson now, but was renting a place in Vail prior to that. Things are a little spread out there, but it seems to be well worth it considering how beautiful it is there. Like you said, just have to plan ahead a little more.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 AM

17 posts, read 40,193 times
We looked at all of the areas you mentioned when we were moving to the area. We ultimately decided that south of I-10 was just too far away. Our children are involved in sports and music and other activities, and we found more of those things available closer to Tucson. We purchased a home in Sierra Morado: it was still in the Vail school district (which was one of our priorities), CLOSE to grocery shopping, walking distance to school, cable service, community pool and playgrounds. After looking at many, many homes and areas, Sierra Morado just fit better for us. I know there are just a few homes for sale in the neighborhood. They seem to go fairly quickly. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 AM

53 posts, read 109,779 times
tjl944:

When you are in the Tucson area, the I-10 actually makes a bend like a river ox bow turn. Therefore, on a technicality, you want to know if you should live east or west of the freeway. I live up in Catalina and am east of the freeway by 13 miles and then north another seven. I am about seven to eight minutes from the Oro Valley Marketplace which houses the Walmart, many other stores, a movie theater and several new restaurants. I love the rural feel and having acreage for the first time in my life. This past winter, for me, it was also, cooooold! and currently summer is hot and humid. We suspended fireworks because the area was so dry this year that it was a fire hazard. Okay, on the other side, I talk to all my various wild mini-flocks of birds over my coffee every morning, let the lizards and the snake and the really BIG bugs have the right-of-way. I wake up to those party animal coyotes, but quickly return to sleep and as a city-girl, I enjoy watching my neighbors teach their kids how to ride (horses). I am still attempting trees and a veggie garden, but this last winter got the better of many of us and we had heavy loss in trees. Not typical. Hopefully, our replants won't face that this winter. Lago del Oro is a hop -skip - and a jump away. Just a very pleasant lifestyle.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
Rancho del lago is a nice area, but very secluded. Although its not too far from I10 access, the drive from the neighborhood to i10 is awful, with 3 schools, two train tracks, a golf course and an ever growing strip mall - One lane each way. The scenic route through colossal cave is long but pretty, but beware driving those windy back roads in the rain. Corona De Tucson is a nice area, on the opposite side of i10 from rancho del lago and away from the school. Its closer to the areas u mentioned that arent favorable and its more sparse with several newer/cheaper home communities. Its half established acreages and trailers and half new homes - the home values are lower because of its mix of real estate and the builders are 2nd tier. North up by bear canyon and catalina is an old established, very scenic area with access to the ammenities of gas stations and grocery stores. I live in Rancho Sahuarita and i enjoy it very much. Its right off i19/i10 access and is a large private community in the heart of sahuarita with its own schools, waterpark, 8 neighborhoods and a lake. its quiet and safe, the cell phone reception isnt that great but its expanding with top of the line builders and dirt cheap foreclosers in beautiful condition. its closer to green valley than to Tucson but not a far drive. I live their so i'm slightly biased but i also grew up in tucson and im not naive of what is actually out there. rita Ranch is southeast with vail school district (one of the best) with its own shopping center and schools. its slightly secluded with houghton as main access which is one lane each way, and will eventually undergo YEARS of a widening project...something to consider. Civano and sycamore park are nearby smaller neighborhoods, newer and more expensive. then of course theres east side and central tucson in the heart of everything. the east side is expanding to houghton and beyond with neighborhoods of small inexpensive homes squeezed into vacant commercial areas. not a bad choice if u dont mind the small yard and noise of the nearby....everything. Hope that gives you some good tips and things to think about! GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson