Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 PM

52,400 posts, read 52,919,967 times

Advertisements

What's it like like in Tucson, I've been checking the MLS listing and it seems like things have dropped a bit in Tucson area.

I know in So Cal, the market is shythouse for sellers. Great for buyers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM

104 posts, read 85,902 times
Great for buyers here, too! Not for sellers. You can get a 4bd/2ba with an in ground pool on a decent side of town for $100,000. There are a glut of properties here(new and old).

Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,309,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What's it like like in Tucson, I've been checking the MLS listing and it seems like things have dropped a bit in Tucson area.

I know in So Cal, the market is shythouse for sellers. Great for buyers though.
The less expensive houses (foreclosures) have been gobbled up quite quickly. Of course, it's also the traditional high season in RE here, but that's not the only reason. Rumor has it investors are buying in bulk and there are bidding wars on the most aggressively priced ones (same in Phoenix, btw). Regular first-time buyers try to take advantage of that 8K credit. New construction is down to a screeching halt, which is another reason the rest of the inventory gets absorbed faster. The market in quite a few areas of town is pretty balanced, even leaning towards seller's market with 4 to 5 months of inventory. There's a zip code with 3 months of inventory - we're talking just like summer of '05. You can check last month's numbers on this blog:

Tucson Real Estate Tucson Homes

Chow, dear... how many markets are ya scoping anyway...?! There's a house for sale very close to mine. Come on, become a neighbor already!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullmoose View Post
Great for buyers here, too! Not for sellers. You can get a 4bd/2ba with an in ground pool on a decent side of town for $100,000. There are a glut of properties here(new and old).
No kiddin'! Humor me and show me ONE!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,776,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullmoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No kiddin'! Humor me and show me ONE!
I was thinking the very same thing, Sierra.

Obviously, Frostbite Falls is nowhere near Arizona.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,755,475 times
Sierra is exactly right, inventories have dropped dramatically since the first of the year for a variety of reasons. Six months supply is considered a "balanced" market. Right now, for homes under 275K, the supply is less than six months, and as stated before certain zips are down to 3 months. I have all this in a PDF file, if anyone would like it just PM me. I have it for all of Tucson or for a specific area, NW, NE etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 PM

643 posts, read 2,058,246 times
Quote:
Regular first-time buyers try to take advantage of that 8K credit.

Link, please?

Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Link, please?
What do you mean? You haven't heard of it or you don't think people are trying to use it?

That's the info: Federal Housing Tax Credit for First-Time Home Buyers: Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/faq.php - broken link)

As far as people trying to use it, obviously there's only anecdotal evidence. Nobody provides this kind of break-down in the stats.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM

683 posts, read 2,656,036 times
Quote:
That's the info: Federal Housing Tax Credit for First-Time Home Buyers: Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/faq.php - broken link)
It's really nice now that they're allowing people to use the tax credit to help with down payments and closing costs. I got the $8,000 credit on my tax return this year, but I have to pay it back.

#20 The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development has announced that HUD will allow "monetization" of the tax credit. What does that mean?

It means that HUD will allow buyers to apply their anticipated tax credit toward their home purchase immediately rather than waiting until they file their 2009 income taxes to receive a refund. These funds may be used for certain downpayment and closing cost expenses.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM

52,400 posts, read 52,919,967 times
Quote:
Chow, dear... how many markets are ya scoping anyway...?! There's a house for sale very close to mine. Come on, become a neighbor already!
I refuse to buy unless it is right next door, that way I can harass you.

BTW, I'm mostly just checking out Tucson and Albacrackie. The market here is so bad I doubt I could sell even sell my condo right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson