Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 51,522 times

Advertisements

Is there a good seafood _market_ in Tucson, preferably east side? Searching on-line all I can find is restaurants. I'd like to be able to buy lobsters or clams once in a while and haven't found a place. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
I think the best you'll be able to do is the grocery store. If there are seafood markets, I don't know about them. The Fry's by me has a live lobster tank, but all the fish and seafood is previously frozen. I have not seen clams, oysters or mussels at all. They have lobster tails which are really just large crayfish, and frozen crab legs ($15.00/lb), salmon, tilapia and trout but they're all previously frozen. There is a larger selection of scallops and fish in prepackaged bags by a national brand, but that's the best you can do in the desert. At least as far as I know. I'm sure if there is a seafood market, someone here will know. But, seeing as how we're landlocked in a desert, it's highly unlikely you'll find fresh seafood or fish...

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Sprouts usually brings in one or two types of fresh fish each week. (It's flown in six days/week.) The quality is good and the prices are reasonable for being in a desert, but you get no selection; whatever they happen to be featuring for the week is all they have that's fresh.

This week it's sockeye salmon fillets. Over the past few weeks they've had halibut steaks, swordfish steaks, flounder fillets, and jumbo shrimp. I'm sure there was more, but I don't remember the others off the top of my head.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 AM

136 posts, read 261,612 times
I haven't been here yet, but Rodriguez L H Wholesale & Retail Seafood
3541 S 12th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85713 is mentioned in Yelp.
Before moving to Tucson, I lived in Mazatlan, Mx, and was spoiled by the fresh shrimp and fish ,caught that day, delivered to my door. I know I saw a place in my online searches before moving here, that sold shrimp from "The Sea Of Cortez", (in my opinion, the best shrimp in the world), here in Tucson.
When I have more time, I'll try to find which place has the best "fresh" seafood, and post later.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 AM

8 posts, read 51,522 times
Thanks for the ideas. If they don't have anything here, it's just because of demand, not because we're in the desert. I grew up in Phoenix and you can get whatever you want there. And you can bet Dallas and Chicago have good seafood even though they are in the middle of the country. For that matter, Los Angeles surely has great lobster available and "normal" lobster with claws all comes from the Atlantic.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
If your a member of Costco, they usually have a pretty good selection from time to time.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
Does the 17th street market have seafood? I thought my friends used to say that.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Does the 17th street market have seafood? I thought my friends used to say that.
Yes they have lots of seafood, but I don't think they have lobster and clams from what I remember. But would certainly be worth checking out for the OP. http://www.seventeenthstreetmarket.c...et_Market.html

Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout37 View Post
Thanks for the ideas. If they don't have anything here, it's just because of demand, not because we're in the desert. I grew up in Phoenix and you can get whatever you want there. And you can bet Dallas and Chicago have good seafood even though they are in the middle of the country. For that matter, Los Angeles surely has great lobster available and "normal" lobster with claws all comes from the Atlantic.
I disagree.

We were born, raised & spent our young adulthood on the mid-Atlantic coast. To us, good seafood is more or less what was caught the same day.

We moved from NY to Dallas, where we lived for a decade, until moving to AZ in 2004. We were hard-pressed to find fresh seafood most of the time. There were usually gulf shrimp and crawfish around, but anything else was slim pickings. Finally, over the past several years, some seafood and specialty stores opened, i.e. Rex's, Sea Breeze, etc. Prior to that, (when we lived there), there wasn't much more than Whole Foods and whatever they brought in. I think the demand was always there, but the goods weren't. I am guessing the demand is here, too - but the goods aren't. Unfortunately I can't think, "Gee, I'd like to make mussles for dinner tonight. Let me run out and get a couple of pounds of them." I would love to see that change though.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I disagree.

We were born, raised & spent our young adulthood on the mid-Atlantic coast. To us, good seafood is more or less what was caught the same day.

We moved from NY to Dallas, where we lived for a decade, until moving to AZ in 2004. We were hard-pressed to find fresh seafood most of the time. There were usually gulf shrimp and crawfish around, but anything else was slim pickings. Finally, over the past several years, some seafood and specialty stores opened, i.e. Rex's, Sea Breeze, etc. Prior to that, (when we lived there), there wasn't much more than Whole Foods and whatever they brought in. I think the demand was always there, but the goods weren't. I am guessing the demand is here, too - but the goods aren't. Unfortunately I can't think, "Gee, I'd like to make mussles for dinner tonight. Let me run out and get a couple of pounds of them." I would love to see that change though.
As soon as they move an Ocean nearby you can have fresh clams etc. Until then you live in the desert. Had some decent Sea Food in rocky point and San Felipe. The 17th Street Market in Tucson and 99 Ranch Market at the Chinese Cultural center in Tucson are about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson