Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 21,429 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm wondering what would be the best time to see a wide variety of cactus flowers near Tucson and Phoenix? I was thinking of planning a trip for mid to late April. Botanical gardens are nice but I'm most interested in seeing cacti in the wild.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
Hello, Zhanna! Thanks for thinking of visiting the desert. :-)

"...The greatest diversity of spring-blooming species can be seen in April. The cactus show continues as the abundant prickly pears bloom in early May, followed by saguaros from mid May to mid June..."

Flowering

Personally, I would come for the Saguaros and take whatever other blooms come along with them. But it is hot in May and June. April is less hot. March is the ideal time to visit weather wise, IMO. I think there are going to be good wildflowers this year, because of the good winter rains.

If you don't visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson, you will be missing the No. 1 attraction in Tucson. It's outside despite the "museum" designation ("a 98-acre zoo, aquarium, botanical garden, natural history museum, publisher, and art gallery"), and it's the best interpretive place I've ever experienced.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...n_Arizona.html

Old 01-03-2017, 06:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Yes, I totally agree, listen to Wilma!

Old 01-03-2017, 06:41 PM

9 posts, read 21,429 times
Thank you so much for all the info! I love the desert, but the last time I visited was several years ago and I wasn't as much of a cactophile as I am now. I've been in southern Arizona at the tail end of May and beginning of June, which seemed a bit late for a good show (we did see some saguaro flowers) and also in September.

I actually like the heat. Coming from northern PA I will take all the heat, and sunshine, I can get! The thought of a trip to the desert in March is also interesting because it would mean an escape from winter. March appears to have more rain on average than April or May, though. That would be my only concern.

We grow prickly pears here too, in the garden, believe it or not ... I feel bad for them at this time of year because they look so pathetic. But they always perk up in the spring and then put on a great flower show around the 4th of July.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
Zhanna, if you come over March 11-12 this year, you can also take in the Tucson Festival of Books on the University of Arizona campus. It's the fourth-largest book festival in the country, and I usually come that week if I come in the springtime. It's pretty early, but there are flowers of other species. I have sometimes had a rain storm and some dark skies, and it warms up and shines; but it it's nothing compared to what is happening in Chicagoland that time of year, haha! So I like it. Check out the authors:

https://tucsonfestivalofbooks.org/

We have prickly pear here, too; usually around sandy beaches or some other place with good drainage. Our glaciated clay soils on flat terrain with iffy drainage are hard on its roots since it doesn't like wet feet; but I have seen it growing wild at Illinois Beach State Park on Lake Michigan. Certain kinds of cacti grow on up into Canada.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanna View Post
Hi there!

I'm wondering what would be the best time to see a wide variety of cactus flowers near Tucson and Phoenix? I was thinking of planning a trip for mid to late April. Botanical gardens are nice but I'm most interested in seeing cacti in the wild.

Thank you!

The Tucson metro area has a pretty wide amount of elevations and various cacti bloom at various time. You can see little on one day just to find something great the next day.

In addition to the Desert Museum, there is the Tucson Botanical Society and Tohono Chul which is another botanical garden. Tohono Chul offers free admissions to members of an American Horticultural Society participating garden.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
Zhanna, excellent advice from everyone above. The only thing better would be to move here and then you would not miss anything! It is amazing how gorgeous the desert can be, I especially like the orange flags that bloom on the Ocotillo and the halos of flowers on the top of the barrel cactus. Whenever you come, you will be in for a treat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: