Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,389 times

Advertisements

I am very much looking forward to my move in a few weeks. I am considering trading cars before I go. The car I am hoping to buy has a red exterior and a black interior. Would it be a mistake to buy the black interior? Are there exterior colors I should avoid? Would dark gray be ok? Brown?
It's been suggested that I get my windows tinted and the black interior should be fine. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM

605 posts, read 704,537 times
Of course darker colors will absorb more heat, so if you can have a choice, opt for lighter colors. More importantly, will the car be parked outside under the sun for most of the day (especially during summers)? It won't matter too much what colors you choose if it will be parked in a garage or carport then. Another thing to keep in mind is that fabric interiors are recommended, rather than leather or leather-type of materials. Leather (without routine maintenance or a covering) can crack under the extreme heat - not to mention is MUCH hotter to sit upon with shorts or a skirt!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
When it's 105 for 30 days in a row, all cars are hot inside no matter the color. I would avoid a black car just because it's so much harder to keep clean-looking than a lighter color, and I'd avoid a black interior because I'd suspect it's more likely to fade.

As Annilyna said, avoid leather. Also be sure to protect your dash from the sun to prevent cracking - use a sunshade religiously and invest is a properly sized one that's not a PITA to put up and take down. When you get here you can determine what other accessories you might want like a seatbelt clip cover, etc.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Good question, CalmMom . . .

Although others may disagree, I do not believe the color of a vehicle, either exterior or interior, makes a huge difference with comfort. A dark interior may make a very slight difference but not enough to warrant changing.

As for "dark tinting" on windows . . . not only has it been proven to help very little with comfort, if at all, it tends to restrict / limit vision which is a safety factor. Also it is ILLEGAL and will only cause problems with the Cops and possibly your insurance company.

On the flip side, if you are a "neat freak" . . . a Dark Vehicle is a "booger" to keep clean due to the dust mostly created by the dry air / lack of humidity.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Tucson.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:22 PM

205 posts, read 572,234 times
The color choices you have are probably the worst combination. With that being said, I also have a black interior and a red exterior lol... but red as a pigment will fade faster than any other color. Black interior will obviously get the hottest over a lighter color. I myself hate tan and gray, therefore I have black. You can counter this pretty well with tint. Interior temperature, believe it or not, only varies about 5-7 degrees from a white car to black car. They both get HOT but exterior colors can make a difference in temp. I have included a chart.

Arizona sun will test and destroy anything with time. Take care of your interior and take steps to protect it. Dash carpet or UV blocking dash treatment will help. The carpet will also help with the heat.

All in all, your color choices the worst. (red for fading but not so much the heat). I have the same colors, just make sure your AC works and you are all set! Get those windows tinted!
Attached Thumbnails
Car colors interior and exterior-sun-temp.jpg  

Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,389 times
Thank you, all! I really appreciate your posts! I've learned a lot today! And, I am feeling much better about this car. You all are terrific!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

As for "dark tinting" on windows . . . not only has it been proven to help very little with comfort, if at all, it tends to restrict / limit vision which is a safety factor. Also it is ILLEGAL and will only cause problems with the Cops and possibly your insurance company.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Tucson.

This is not accurate, the illegal part. Arizona allows for a tint strip on the windshield as long as it does not pass the AS-1 indicator. The front windows can be tinted to 33% light transmission +/- 1% and the rear windows (second and third row and rear windshield) have no law regarding LTV. They can be tinted to any darkness.

Source: Format Document

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
This is not accurate, the illegal part. Arizona allows for a tint strip on the windshield as long as it does not pass the AS-1 indicator. The front windows can be tinted to 33% light transmission +/- 1% and the rear windows (second and third row and rear windshield) have no law regarding LTV. They can be tinted to any darkness.
Please re-read my post, Smurf . . . I clearly stated "dark tinting" for a reason.

Hopefully no one in their right mind would "dark tint" their windshield below the legal limit which is only a couple inches from the top.

Besides, even adding "legal" tinting to the forward side windows restricts / limits vision and also gives the cops a legal excuse to pull over a vehicle when they may not otherwise have the right.

NOT WORTH THE RISK especially when you consider the benefits which are nil or less.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Please re-read my post, Smurf . . . I clearly stated "dark tinting" for a reason.

Hopefully no one in their right mind would "dark tint" their windshield below the legal limit which is only a couple inches from the top.

Besides, even adding "legal" tinting to the forward side windows restricts / limits vision and also gives the cops a legal excuse to pull over a vehicle when they may not otherwise have the right.

NOT WORTH THE RISK especially when you consider the benefits which are nil or less.
Yeah I got that, I just didnt see where you specified dark tinting on the front windows... 33% is fairly dark if you have a dark interior... yes it definitely limits vision, esp at night... I like the tint more for the UV filtering factor. It helps against damage to the interior.

I like it for privacy, I hate knowing that someone can look into my vehicle and see a phone, or ipod, gear, shoes etc... and give them a reason for getting in. On my truck I have 35% on front windows and 15% on the remaining rear windows, paired with a black interior and you cannot see in my vehicle even during the day...

Cheap tint has no benefits other than it will eventually purple and bubble. Good tint like 3m Solartek will help filter the UV entering the vehicle. 3M's crystalline line states protection of SPF1000 or greater....

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I have a red car with light grey interior and light grey fabric seats. My windshield and front seat windows have a light tint to them, and the rear windows have a much darker tint. I have a garage and a carport which both keep the car out of the sun.

I had a navy blue car, and after one year, the paint was already cracking around the windows. With this car, I had a protective sealant put on by the dealer, but I have no idea if it will do any good. It was included in the cost of the car, so I went with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: