Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:31 AM

6 posts, read 10,410 times

Advertisements

Thanks, again! The details and clarification are very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I brought a car here from Pennsylvania that had no tint on the windows. I routinely used to get a sunburn on my left side (face, neck, arm) when driving, even though I apply moisturizer with a high SPF sunblock multiple times daily (I am very fair). I got my car windows professionally tinted (with the dark strip on the windshield) within the bounds of the law and no more sunburn while driving as long as the windows are up.

My understanding is there are limits on the darkness of the tint allowed on windows so police officers can see into your car for their safety when stopping vehicles on the road.

I keep my car in a garage, but it even gets dust on it in there. That's the biggest issue with car color in my opinion. Choose a color car the light-colored dust doesn't show up on. I have a metallic taupe-colored car that masks the look of the dust, but when it rains just a little I never ceased to be shocked at how much dust has accumulated once the water mixes with it and it shows up as sludge.

Also, as a newcomer be mindful that extreme heat causes batteries and tires to wear out faster than they do in cooler climates. Another tip: be aware that you can be burned touching the exterior of a car that has been parked outside in the sun. Especially never lean on a car that's been parked outside in the heat! Many Arizonans who have to park outdoors all day keep a towel in the car to drape over the steering wheel while the car is parked. It keeps the steering wheel to an acceptable temperature when you return to the car. In the summer you'll want to put a windshield protector inside the car even if your windows are tinted. That will also help to shade the steering wheel and the seat.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM

42 posts, read 131,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good question, CalmMom . . .

As for "dark tinting" on windows . . . not only has it been proven to help very little with comfort, if at all, it tends to restrict / limit vision which is a safety factor. Also it is ILLEGAL and will only cause problems with the Cops and possibly your insurance company.
We had the windows tinted on our two cars and it made a WORLD of difference. All tints are not created equal when it comes to heat reflection, and darker doesn't necessarily mean less heat in the car. Also, tinting isn't illegal in Arizona but there are legal limits to the darkness.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
My car is Venetian red with beige interior. This absorbs a lot less heat in the summer. I passed on the window tinting because I've never been a fan of the stuff. Keep it in the garage or shade and fading shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,259 times
Quote:
Also, as a newcomer be mindful that extreme heat causes batteries and tires to wear out faster than they do in cooler climates
You are correct. more heat + shorter life. This goes for just about anything--tires, batteries, weatherstripping, interior, paint, etc. However, Arizona has dry heat which is harder on these things. Even though it can get into the 100's in many other places (like here in Chicago) the dry heat tends to dry out anything that has moisture in it like rubber, cloth, plastic so they will deteriorate faster.

Quote:
All tints are not created equal when it comes to heat reflection, and darker doesn't necessarily mean less heat in the car.
This is very true as well. The cheap tints don't do much besides blocking light---only in the visual spectrum. The better tints will block UV (ultra violet) and IR (infra red) as well. Adding to what SmurfOnABoat said 3m actually makes many variations of light colored tinting that allows 40-60% of the light, blocks ~97% of IR, ~60% of the heat, up to 99.9% of UV and has a SPF of over 1000. It is more expensive but will do much more for your investment.

I don't particularly care for window tinting on the front side windows myself (especially at night) but I may have light tinting put on my cars when we move this summer.

Quote:
Especially never lean on a car that's been parked outside in the heat! Many Arizonans who have to park outdoors all day keep a towel in the car to drape over the steering wheel while the car is parked. It keeps the steering wheel to an acceptable temperature when you return to the car. In the summer you'll want to put a windshield protector inside the car even if your windows are tinted. That will also help to shade the steering wheel and the seat.
Many people in the Chicago area do this in the summer as well. I have gotten burns from touching the cars exterior too. People complain that their steering wheel covers and dashboards deteriorate and crack too fast here but it is all from the same thing: heat and uv. it destroys leather, vinyl and cloth as well as many plastics very fast if not covered. A windshield shade is always a good idea.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times
I noticed something interesting when I went looking for a used car recently. Almost every decent used car I found at the dealers had a black or dark grey interior. Since these were trade-ins, I assume that when people move here from cooler states they find their black interior too hot and trade it in. I would not have a black interior here. I ended up buying a new car instead, with a light interior. I did make a mistake with the exterior though. It's dark green and it always looks dirty from the dust, and will probably be hotter in the summer than a lighter color.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM

700 posts, read 919,537 times
My advice as a semi-native Tucsonan is this: white. With white interior. You won't be sorry; you will be sorry with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: