Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM

204 posts, read 389,020 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Albuquerque and I have a job interview coming up with a company that's located in the Catalina foothills area. I also have a phone interview on Thursday with Az dept of education in Phoenix. I visited Phoenix a few weekends ago and loved it (we stayed in the Peoria area). My BIL was accepted to UoA for his residency so if I choose Tucson I will have some family there. So, my question is: if you had your choice of places to live would you choose Tucson or Phoenix and why?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
I lived in Phoenix for 14 years and for 20 years in Tucson/Oro Valley. I like both but I prefer Tucson mostly because I prefer the smaller town feel to it. It's kind of a big college town with the UofA here. Still just over 1 million here as opposed to the 3.5 million or so in the Phoenix metro area. There is absolutly no comparison in the desert around the two areas. Tucson gets about twice the rainfall of Phoenix so there is much more natural desert foliage here. The desert and natural wildlife here is truly unique. You won't have that in Phoenix. So if you enjoy the outdoors, hiking, biking, horseback riding or just enjoy being out in nature it is Tucson hands down. If you like big city life, professional sports, big name concerts, then Phoenix is great. But with that comes lots of freeways and traffic. Tucson is no piece of cake traffic wise because of the lack of freeways, so living somewhat close to work can be a real plus. But it is really not that bad of a drive from Tucson to Phoenix for an occasional concert or ballgame.. Lots of people do it.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 06-14-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
I'm currently living in Albuquerque and I have a job interview coming up with a company that's located in the Catalina foothills area. I also have a phone interview on Thursday with Az dept of education in Phoenix. I visited Phoenix a few weekends ago and loved it (we stayed in the Peoria area). My BIL was accepted to UoA for his residency so if I choose Tucson I will have some family there. So, my question is: if you had your choice of places to live would you choose Tucson or Phoenix and why?

Thanks!
I looked at Albuquerque years ago because of location for seasons....I am now between Phoenix and Tucson...If I had to pick a city to live in rather than Casa Grande, I would take Tucson...I am a country girl....

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM

351 posts, read 975,414 times
Yup, pretty much spot on Rick. I lived in Chandler before moving to Tucson. If you don't mind the traffic and hustle and bustle of a big city, then Phoenix is the way to go. Phoenix has more large sports and cultural events, more eats and treats and a legitimate night life. I found the rat race exhausting and the mid-summer heat to be a bit extreme for my liking though. If you liked living in Albuquerque, you will probably like Tucson. As Rick mentioned there is a ton of outdoorsy stuff to do and it's not nearly as dry and hot as Phoenix is in the summer.

As a point of comparison: There are a couple of really nice perks to Albuquerque too. You have the option it irrigate from the Rio Grande if you buy land. You can go catfish fishing on the Rio Grande (We used to go near Las Cruces). The weather is pretty decent in the summer compared to Phoenix and Tucson. And finally, the immigration problem isn't nearly as bad in Albuquerque as it is in Tucson.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Phoenix is more like California. Tucson is more like New Mexico. Albuquerque and Tucson are basically the same town at different altitudes IMO.

When I first moved to Arizona I lived in Scottsdale and while I liked it well enough I ended up in Tucson for the exact things that the guys in the above posts described. Tucson is way better if you like the outdoors stuff right outside your door. That being said, Phoenix might be better for weekend trips to areas on the rim and such because it's a little closer, but it's the difference between driving 2-3 hours (Phoenix) and 4-6 hours (Tucson).

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,086 times
I agree with everyone else has said. I lived in Phoenix for a year and although loved the great amenities, came back to Tucson. I enjoy the smaller town feel, less traffic and cooler temps. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are more of a city person and want high end shopping, hustle & bustle, sporting events, etc then Phoenix is for you. If you prefer a more casual type of living and enjoy the outdoors, then Tucson is for you. I personally would love to work in the Catalina foothills area. Very nice!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

And Phoenix does not have Nico's, Eegees, or Fatdogs!
Nico's - Mexican Fast Food - Breakfast Burro's can't be beat
Eegees - Sub Sandwich Shop - Their fries with Ranch Dressing - Best in Town!
Fatdogs - Mexican Hot Dog cart @ Thorneydale/Overton - Best dog in town!

However up in the Phoenix area there is a small mexican restaurant in Scottsdale that have the best Chile Relleno I have ever eaten. Don't know it's name, just know how to get there. On Rural/Scottsdale Road just north of the 210. Makes my trips to the Phoenix area worthwhile.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully I'll get a job offer or two and then really have to make a decision. I like Albuquerque but I think I might prefer some of the big city amenities. I understand Phoenix is closer to some lakes which would be a big plus for fishing. Also the pro sports and for the same money it looks like you can get more house in Phoenix. Does that sound right?
That said, I think the better job might be in Tucson. Phoenix would be a contract to hire type situation with the dept of education while Tucson would be direct with a company. I'm going to Tucson tomorrow, I hope it blows Phoenix away.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully I'll get a job offer or two and then really have to make a decision. I like Albuquerque but I think I might prefer some of the big city amenities. I understand Phoenix is closer to some lakes which would be a big plus for fishing. Also the pro sports and for the same money it looks like you can get more house in Phoenix. Does that sound right?
That said, I think the better job might be in Tucson. Phoenix would be a contract to hire type situation with the dept of education while Tucson would be direct with a company. I'm going to Tucson tomorrow, I hope it blows Phoenix away.
Both areas have been hit hard by the housing downturn, but yes Phoenix more so than Tucson. There are lots of foreclosures opportunities in both Phoenix and Tucson. Buying a foreclsoure is a fairly easy process as compared to the torment of trying to buy a short sale. And for fishing yes Phoenix is much closer particuarly if you live in the East Valley and can jump on the Beeline Highway to head north. Or way north Phoenix where you can catch I-17 north or the Carefree Highway. As mentioned by others, living in Tucson, (depending on where you live) will add a good 1.5-2 hours onto the trip. So weigh that with all the outdoor activities at your doorstep in Tucson. How often will you be going fishing as opposed to enjoying the desert everyday?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks Rick. Although I was only looking at the rental market. I'm not sure I will be looking to buy for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson