Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The Mr. Ding-A-Ling truck hadn't been rolling through the streets here for more than a week before Joshua Malatino made his message clear: There ain't enough Fudgsicles in this city for the both of us.

Malatino, who owns the homegrown Sno Cone Joe franchise, had threatened rival ice cream trucks before, but police said he went too far earlier this month. It began with threats and taunts.

Read more: Cops: Sno Cone Joe stalked Mr. Ding-A-Ling - Times Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Poor Mr. Ding-A-Ling ... Sno Cone Joe is a mean fellow. The whole world seems to be going crazy!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Back in the day Ice cream trucks had their own areas and usually the same kids would buy ice cream. No problems. Now it seems even the innocence of a sweet treat is being corrupted. Everything has to have conflict nowadays, No matter how mundane or innocent. The world has not gone nuts, The people are nuts. And they seem to get worse. between public violent meltdowns over foolish things to ice cream wars to a whole manner of other things.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Back in the day Ice cream trucks had their own areas and usually the same kids would buy ice cream. No problems. Now it seems even the innocence of a sweet treat is being corrupted. Everything has to have conflict nowadays, No matter how mundane or innocent. The world has not gone nuts, The people are nuts. And they seem to get worse. between public violent meltdowns over foolish things to ice cream wars to a whole manner of other things.

Has it always been like this?

Perhaps we just didn't know about things other than in our own little local newspaper area or local news on TV.

Then along comes 24 hour cable/satellite TV news coverage and then the internet. We are now aware of every bad thing that happens all over the whole world.

I do agree with you the world has gone nuts!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM

486 posts, read 560,551 times
The Ice Cream Wars got pretty bad in my country:
Glasgow Ice Cream Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
It's people like Mr. Sno Cone Joe who are going to ruin it for the rest of the ice cream guys and all the little kids will miss out on this time honored tradition of running after the ice cream truck. That is sad.

I expect this to be the newest reality show: Turf Wars: The Ice Cream Man

Old 05-04-2013, 02:35 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Has it always been like this?

Perhaps we just didn't know about things other than in our own little local newspaper area or local news on TV.

Then along comes 24 hour cable/satellite TV news coverage and then the internet. We are now aware of every bad thing that happens all over the whole world.

I do agree with you the world has gone nuts!!!
There have always been cases of people behaving like wild animals and I agree we hear and have access to stories everywhere with the rise of the internet. Though in recent years just out in the world I have seen more PDM (Public displays of madness) then growing up. The ice cream trucks and this thread bring back many memories for me. Playing in the old neighborhood during the summer and hearing that jingle was the highlight. Ice cream wars not only sounds silly, But a bit sad.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
And these guys work around kids?

I refused to let my kids buy from ice cream trucks. When I heard the music, I told them to make some big Sundaes. They were never mad. They were allowed to go hog wild...better than some expensive small snow cone.

Creepy...ice cream drivers are considered 1099 employees, so no background check needed.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There have always been cases of people behaving like wild animals and I agree we hear and have access to stories everywhere with the rise of the internet. Though in recent years just out in the world I have seen more PDM (Public displays of madness) then growing up. The ice cream trucks and this thread bring back many memories for me. Playing in the old neighborhood during the summer and hearing that jingle was the highlight. Ice cream wars not only sounds silly, But a bit sad.
LOL ... playing in the yard!! Goodness it's not safe for children now to even play in the yard unless mom or dad is sitting there. So many kids now are so into video games, internet and some still watch TV. I played in the yard too with other neighborhood kids.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And these guys work around kids?
I figure that nobody ever started driving an ice-cream truck because he was tired of doing nuclear physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime