Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times

Advertisements

Former suspect in Etan Patz case to go free* - NY Daily News

This guy has been in prison for 20 years for child molesting. He is a major suspect in the disappearance of Etan Patz...

Does anyone think he is rehabilitated? Can child molesters ever be trusted in society? Would you want to live next door to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 AM

993 posts, read 2,294,820 times
If they have served their time, I guess legally they can't keep them in prison. I seriously doubt the guy is rehabilitated, and NO
I definitely would not want to live next door to him, even if I don't have any kids.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
They've been experimenting with civil commitments for people like this. They serve their time in prison and then go to the looney bin until a shrink decides they are no longer a threat. (In some cases, that's never.)

Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM

24,560 posts, read 17,315,057 times
It's terrible and sad when this sort of thing happens and it seems to happen alot when a guy gets out of jail and goes on to recommit crimes , rape, murder, drunk driving. There is such a thing as a habitual offender but after they serve their time what can be done except maybe to keep a closer eye on them?
I don't think child molesters can ever be trusted and I certainly wouldn't want to live next door to one.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They've been experimenting with civil commitments for people like this. They serve their time in prison and then go to the looney bin until a shrink decides they are no longer a threat. (In some cases, that's never.)
And you know, I don't have a problem with civil commitment, AS LONG AS, the person(s) doing the committing don't have a political or financial incentive to do so.
I say this because, I do fear it would become widespread beyond just serious child molesters,and if it isn't done properly, it could then be opened to questions of legality and lawsuits

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM

993 posts, read 2,294,820 times
There was a man who murdered a woman in Bloomington (IN),decapitated her and cut her hands off, her head and hands were never found. This same man was actually released from prison and placed in a home in Jennings co., the residents of the county put up a big fuss, and the man was relocated to Marion county. Why in the world they ever released this guy is beyond me.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
And you know, I don't have a problem with civil commitment, AS LONG AS, the person(s) doing the committing don't have a political or financial incentive to do so.
I say this because, I do fear it would become widespread beyond just serious child molesters,and if it isn't done properly, it could then be opened to questions of legality and lawsuits

Yup, slippery slope. These animals put us in a position of having to compromise our ideals in order to protect the community. It sucks.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

This guy has been in prison for 20 years for child molesting. He is a major suspect in the disappearance of Etan Patz...

Does anyone think he is rehabilitated? Can child molesters ever be trusted in society? Would you want to live next door to him?
Are we talking child molesters or pedophiles? There IS a difference between the two. Now, if you are talking a child molester, yes SOME can be trusted in society and MANY go on to live normal lives after being released from prison.

A pedophile? Nope. This won't be popular, however, if a person has been diagnosed with pedophilia, lock him/her up for the rest of their life and never let them out of prison (I am even up for the death penalty in many cases). The simple fact is they are "wired different." To me, a beautiful 30-40 yr old woman "turns me on." To a true pedophile, it does nothing for them. Their age preference is different; be it 8-10 yr olds, 12-14 yr olds, or whatever. There is NOTHING you can do to change this; just like there is NOTHING you can do to change your own sexual orientation.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Are we talking child molesters or pedophiles? There IS a difference between the two. Now, if you are talking a child molester, yes SOME can be trusted in society and MANY go on to live normal lives after being released from prison.

A pedophile? Nope. This won't be popular, however, if a person has been diagnosed with pedophilia, lock him/her up for the rest of their life and never let them out of prison (I am even up for the death penalty in many cases). The simple fact is they are "wired different." To me, a beautiful 30-40 yr old woman "turns me on." To a true pedophile, it does nothing for them. Their age preference is different; be it 8-10 yr olds, 12-14 yr olds, or whatever. There is NOTHING you can do to change this; just like there is NOTHING you can do to change your own sexual orientation.
This is true, some child molesters are situational due to certain stressors and other factors in their lives and can be rehabilitated.
As for persons w/pedophilia...I think more needs to be done to reach out BEFORE they act...in ways of offering confidential counseling w/o fear of punishment , again I say that this would be BEFORE they act.
Cos, I'm pretty sure if they've never acted on it but are afraid of being civilly commited, they won't come forward

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM

990 posts, read 940,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

All child molesters should be put to death.
All rapists too.

In many ways, those two things are worse than murder and they can't ever be justified like murder can. I can see how a person could rationally murder another, but I simply cannot see a rational justification for rape or child molestation.

A person who rapes or molests kids is mentally defective. The ones who are released from prison either do it again, or in MANY cases, become serial killers.

And according to this website (not a totally reputable one, it's definitely an agenda site), essentially all molesters and rapists will molest and rape again when released from prison.

They don't deserve human rights because they're not human. Nobody human could possibly rape someone or molest a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime