Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,646,260 times

Advertisements

These are some of the worst of the worst but all too common anymore. Horrible to read and think about but what can we do about it ? We can be aware of all the signs of child abuse and report it. In the latest case of little, 4 yr old, Lucas Webb, he told people his stepmother was kicking him and no one cared. His father and stepmother killed him 2 months later.

3-year-old scalded in bathtub, mom charged. | Bad Breeders

https://www.facebook.com/badbreeders

The Dreamin' Demon (Child cases)

There is a movement to try and get a march in Washington DC, in April 2013, as a protest against child abuse and murder issues. Several people are staging marches in their home states. I am planning to attend the DC march unless bad health intervenes. Please, everyone, lets try and take a stand and get Federal laws against these atrocities, laws that bite.

On the FB page was the story of a man who got 90 days for abusing his son. The judge felt longer sentences made for repeat offenders......It's not right.

There is a woman that is defending the "mother" of Ethan Stacy in the comments section. I could not read her posts/comments without becoming sick. How can anyone defend this monster but, that is her right. I just don't understand it.

Quote:
Ashley Buckman's 4-Year-Old Daughter Is Brain Dead After Horrific Alleged Abuse From Buckman and Her Boyfriend - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

A 4-year-old girl is brain dead at Phoenix Children's Hospital after an alleged series of abuses at the hands of her mother and her boyfriend.

Ashley Buckman and her boyfriend James Edwards, both 22 years old, were arrested yesterday after police were called to their apartment, where the 4-year-old girl wasn't breathing.

According to court documents obtained by New Times, the girl has injuries to her face, mouth, neck, chest, torso, back, and arms, including burns on her buttocks, genitals, legs, and hands, as well as several broken ribs.
According to the documents, police were called around 8 p.m. Wednesday to Edwards' and Buckman's Phoenix apartment after the child stopped breathing, and the 4-year-old girl was found with injuries "in various stages of healing."
...snipped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
At a medical facility I used to work at, we had a horrific case. A little boy was there for a scan to check on his brain stents.

He had brain stents because his father had beat him until he was brain damaged, but had somehow regained custody.

When the brain damaged tyke acted up while there were no nurses or techs in the room, the father beat him to death and tried to blame someone at our facility for "dropping" the poor little guy.

The only things I think we can constitutionally do at this time are to promote the use of birth control by those too young or too ill-equipped to handle parenthood (make birth control free) sentences that outlive a person's "breeding" years for serious offenders, and regulations that make it easier for abused children to be adopted, rather than fostered.

I wish I had better answers.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times
Yes, it is sickening. In our area, just the other day, a mother got sentenced to 8 years for watching her BF beat her toddler to death right in front of her. She did nothing. NOW the loser wants to get a shorter sentence... WTH!? There is a special place in h*ll for sickos that beat on and torture little children.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,197 times
People do not like to discuss this issue for alot of reasons. However, here are a few:

1. Like it or not, MANY people should not be allowed to have children. PERIOD.

2. You should have to attend education courses and be CERTIFIED before having children.

3. Some people, should be FORCED to be on birth control and/or have mandatory sterilization done (extreme, I know, however, this is an extreme issue).

I could list more, however, I am going to receive the wrath of the liberals for even stating this.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
People do not like to discuss this issue for alot of reasons. However, here are a few:

1. Like it or not, MANY people should not be allowed to have children. PERIOD.

2. You should have to attend education courses and be CERTIFIED before having children.

3. Some people, should be FORCED to be on birth control and/or have mandatory sterilization done (extreme, I know, however, this is an extreme issue).

I could list more, however, I am going to receive the wrath of the liberals for even stating this.

^^
Not from the liberals, from the constitutional conservatives.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
This is an issue in my town now too. There was an article saying that the abuse being seen now is more severe and brutal. Could this be tied to the economy's problems? Statistics show that domestic violence goes up when unemployment is higher.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times
I think it is the fact that many people are just high and/or drunk ALL the time. And have no personal sense of controls in place. They will hit a child just the way that they would hit another adult.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,759 times
I really don't think child abuse is significantly worse. I think we see and hear about it more, with 24 hour news channels and the internet at our fingertips. And the most horrific and brutal cases are the ones that get media attention, because those are the ones that will captivate an audience. The ones that don't get the media attention become viral internet stories.

Some of the most horrifying child abuse cases I ever heard, Tesslynn O'Cull, Briana Lopez, Daneale Kelly, Lattie McGee, Terrell Peterson, and Lazaro Figueroa, I never heard of until I read stories online. They were so horrible I couldn't believe I'd never heard anything about these children at the times of their deaths. They all died in the late 80s to mid 90s, before the internet age. The only way to know anything about them would have been to live in the cities they lived in, otherwise there was little to no national coverage. Looking back, Lisa Steinberg is about the only nationally covered child abuse case I remember. But we all know that she was NOT the only child that was abused, or the only child that died. Child abuse has always been, and sadly, it will always be. Human nature contains evil, and as long as there are humans on this earth, there will be people capable of such evil.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,662,629 times
Here in Philadelphia, there is an unsolved child abuse/murder case referred to as "the boy in the box." It dates from 1957, when a tiny, battered, undernourished child's body was found at the far northeastern limits of the city. They never solved it, and no one ever came forward, despite advertising.

Seeing the photos of his little dead face give me chills 60 years laterr.

And of course, that is just icing on the cake of all of the babies and children that CPS return to their parents after known abuse. We just had one starve to death, after the social worker and pediatrician both missed/ignored clear signs.

I personally think that more training, better pay and more caseworkers would help a great deal in the cities. In the rurals, where these children may never see another person? I don't have an answer.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,819,075 times
In a perfect world this wouldn't be an issue, however we don't live there. Ignorance breeds ignorance and the only way to totally prevent child abuse is to have suspects watched 24/7 inside the home and outside. Unrealistic? Certainly. That old cliche It Takes A Village To Raise A Child needs to apply more than ever. I was a byproduct of abusive parents and my idiot teacher didn't recognize the symptoms of depression in a grade school child. She told my parents that I was a daydreamer and that's why my grades suffered. Guess who got punished for having bad grades? Sure I daydreamed. I dreamed of the day when I never had to spend another anxiety ridden minute ducking and dodging physical, emotional, and almost sexual abuse by my parents. There is no way to prevent abuse but there is a way to help kids escape it. Everyone needs to recognize the signs, especially in schools, and report it. We also need good foster parents not in it for a paycheck, but that's a whole other issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime