Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

Per this article he is now being released, unless Gov. Brown opposes the recommendation in 30 days.

Bruce Davis, Manson Follower, Gets Cleared For Release By California Parole Board

Davis, convicted with Manson and another man in the killings of a musician and a stuntman, was not involved in the infamous Sharon Tate murders in 1969. He was a young man of 30 when he was sentenced to life in prison in 1972 in a case that was a postscript to Manson's notorious reign as leader of the murderous communal cult known as the Manson family.

Davis was also suspected by some to have been involved in the murder of Donna Lass, in S. Lake Tahoe.
There is more info on that on the Zodiac killer forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
" 'While your behavior was atrocious, your crimes did occur 43 years ago,' parole board member Jeff Ferguson told Davis, according to the San Luis Obispo Tribune."

The number of years since he committed the crime somehow excuses him? Unbelievable.

He confessed to his part in carrying out the murders of Gary Hinman and Donald Shea. Bobby Beausoleil, who had a part in Hinman's murder, is still serving a life sentence.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
What kind of people do they put on these parole boards? I read the info in the link. The guy was a nut-job and now he's a religious nut-job and they want to let him OUT??

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
" 'While your behavior was atrocious, your crimes did occur 43 years ago,' parole board member Jeff Ferguson told Davis, according to the San Luis Obispo Tribune."

The number of years since he committed the crime somehow excuses him? Unbelievable.

He confessed to his part in carrying out the murders of Gary Hinman and Donald Shea. Bobby Beausoleil, who had a part in Hinman's murder, is still serving a life sentence.
Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either. What about all those other prisoners with decades-old crimes?

What else do you expect from this time and day? To top off, this all occured in CA!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
So, now, with the $40-50k a year we'll now save in incarcerations costs for this individual, how should we spend the first $40-50k? Any ideas, that might prevent someone from committing a crime in the future?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

yes, I have read extensively on those cases.
They all become "born again" in prison. What else would they do?
its a clear strategy to appear 'reformed'. They are master manipulators. From what I read from LE books and authors who knew about Davis, he was deviously intelligent, ambidextrous, and capable of anything.

He is a classic sociopath.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Sexism...alive and well in prison boards. A man, convicted of heinous crimes is "released". Leslie van Houten...who has terminal cancer, has been denied 19 times. Women are always viewed more harshly on crime than men.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sexism...alive and well in prison boards. A man, convicted of heinous crimes is "released". Leslie van Houten...who has terminal cancer, has been denied 19 times. Women are always viewed more harshly on crime than men.

And yet statistically speaking, women are less likely to re-offend. *shrugs* What can you do?

I don't think rapists or child molesters should be released. I think those convicted (justly) of murder should only be released in very limited circumstances.

Unfortunately, the prisons are full of car thieves and drug offenders as well as those truly dangerous to society. They've got to make room for the next pot peddler. *shrugs again*

When are you people going to elect me queen of the world so we can get some common sense in the justice system? Oh... you're not? Okay. I'll just go back to running my mouth on message boards.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now;26395926[B
][/b]" 'While your behavior was atrocious, your crimes did occur 43 years ago,' parole board member Jeff Ferguson told Davis, according to the San Luis Obispo Tribune."

And this attitude is EXACTLY why a life sentence or death sentence is not a guaranteed sentence! Some yahoo who was born years after the crime made headlines and shocked a city, state, town, nation etc., who has NO IDEA of the horror of the crime, who has no memories of the outrage the crime caused, who has no emotional connection because the crime did not affect them, can nonchalantly release a criminal by the stroke of a pen, depending on their mood that day, what the current societal bent is, if their reelection is dependant on showing their political beliefs, "fill in the blank" (I am being sarcastic here, but I am still dead serious). In other words, people forget or don't care (in the case of it not affecting them in their generation). Manson could be released if the "right" governor gets in office. And I don't mean "right wing" governor. It could be of either party, or any party. Let's drag out executions longer, shall we? Maybe Richard Ramirez ("The Night Stalker" for those of you who don't know him. One word: Google) still has a chance at freedom.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
What kind of people do they put on these parole boards? I read the info in the link. The guy was a nut-job and now he's a religious nut-job and they want to let him OUT??
Ok, folks now for a little lecture on the law. Yes, the law actually governs what parole boards do. The reality is that a parole board must take into account not only the crime committed by the perpetrator when it makes decisions to release someone, but it must also take into account how they acted while they were in prison. If the offender participated in rehabilitation and education programs, acted as though they felt remorse for the crime, and was not a problem for the authorities in the prison after a specified period he/she is probably entitled to be released from prison under state law.

If you don't like it than get the laws changed. However, the parole board in this situation is simply doing its job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.