Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:14 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,071 times

Advertisements

Magnaflow 39006 Universal Catalytic Converter - CARB Compliant : Amazon.com : Automotive

Depends on your car, i guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
The underground scrap-metal trade is only the kid brother of the heroin epidemic. Here in Michigan, with so many people out of work, it's almost the only growth industry.

I have heard a lot about the crime rate but not much about anyone who is trying to combat it in a systematic way.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,184,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The underground scrap-metal trade is only the kid brother of the heroin epidemic. Here in Michigan, with so many people out of work, it's almost the only growth industry.

I have heard a lot about the crime rate but not much about anyone who is trying to combat it in a systematic way.
Here is a link to an article that ran in yesterday's WSJ: Mortimer Zuckerman: Those Jobless Numbers Are Even Worse Than They Look - WSJ.com There are plenty of “reasons” in that text as to why scrap has grown into an ever increasing problem. Our country has to put people back to work so they can afford to live. But we also need roll models like the old show “Leave it to Beaver”. Not having direction and not having jobs has partially created this problem.

But, regardless of the reasons, this problem is totally counter productive to a brighter future. It is destructive behavior and it further erodes the little wealth that home owners have gained from their hard work.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,366,020 times
This is nothing new, this year in our area, someone stole the central air units of a nursing home for scrap metal. And the brass vases off of the gravemarkers. scumbags.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,911,012 times
The copper theft attacks on new housing are very costly to us all. Even (steel) manhole covers are being stolen. These things must be quite expensive to replace and some are special designs. The dangers to pedestrians and automobiles is a real problem. We used to have a few scrap yards here. About 3 major ones now should have some sort of police presence all day. I'm sure a way to stop this nonsense can be found.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 AM

44,657 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Across the country, the problem of catalytic converter theft is on the rise again, as the price of platinum, rhodium and palladium — the metals found inside them — rises. Thieves use portable power saws to remove the converters in minutes, police and auto mechanics say.

Catalytic converter thefts on rise - USATODAY.com

Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
This is nothing new, this year in our area, someone stole the central air units of a nursing home for scrap metal. And the brass vases off of the gravemarkers. scumbags.
I always wondered why people had their outdoor central air units in a metal cage with bars. Crazy. I read about a woman who made millions in scrap metal, I really admired her. But, now I wonder, about the ethics of scrap metal dealers. If they are knowingly purchasing this stolen property for a profit. Wrong on so many levels.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,184,176 times
jasper12,

I actually started this tread in two locations – for two different reasons. The other thread is running on the Pennsylvania forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...p-laws-go.html I hope that I did not break any rules with the double thread? I do have good intentions.

The reason that I did the double thread was first to see how other states are handling this problem. Secondly; to hear how bad this problem is around our state. I don't think that I could address both issues with just the one thread?

If this problem is as bad as I surmise; I would like to try to get our politicians involved. Perhaps it will not accomplish anything? I always figure nothing ventured and nothing gained.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
No problem. Good luck to you.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,429,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

Be glad they at least left the gravemarker!

We had the brass vase stolen from my grandmother's grave at least 4-5 times. Well, a florist nearby started selling plastic vases that looked like brass, and fit in the opening. Finally, they were left alone. For the rest of my family, we got the markers without a vase/holder. If I had to do it over again, I would get the stone markers, no one wants to steal those---yet. Even the dead can't rest! BTW, this is in Detroit. I read many are having their loved ones dug up and reinterred in other cemeteries less crime ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime