Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,970,398 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out why this is even a crime. They were all consenting adults--what gives? Obviously having sex with your students would be grounds for termination/losing her teaching license but breaking workplace rules isn't the same as committing a crime! I wonder if she thought sleeping with students 18 or older would be okay legally. Surely it wasn't a coincidence that all 5 of the students were adults.

Imagine if the same thing happened with 18 year old freshman and a college professor. Would she go to jail in that case? I bet she would only lose her job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
In Texas your considered a adult when your 17 ;emanciplated at 18.The law in question is the law on realtionship between teacher and student.teachers are given class on the law. Its kind of like the law on relationship of correction officers and inmates.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,535,375 times
At least when she gets out she might not still be a skank and instead be faithful to her husband and maybe raise her kids to be good members of society. I just hope her husband can support her for the five years.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,463,895 times
The 'victims' may have been 18, but there is something wrong enough with that woman's judgement that she should not be around high school students.

Would you be comfortable with your 16 year old daughter taking classes from a man who had sex with five 18 year old students in the same school?

Also, though I don't believe in harsh punishment for adultery, her husband, having been cuckolded five times with pimply, Dorito-breath teens deserves a good divorce from that slattern.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,978,115 times
It's the law because the people of Texas wished it to be a law and voted it to be as such via the representative governemnt that we have. The law has nothing to do with age, get over that angle, it has everything to do with violating the teacher/student relationship.
I can almost guarantee that you same people that are complaining, are the same that saw some media about a teacher having sex with a student and thought "there ought to be a law about this". Politicians reacted, even though there are already laws about sex with minors, with additional "feel good" laws. This is what you get, this is what you asked for. This really comes from people trying to get government to over-legislate by passing laws to address all the evils and moral values in the world.
One other note - if the teacher was a man having sex with female students he would probably be doing 20 years in jail (oops, already discussed).

Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,713,258 times
For females only i think the hotter the teacher the less time they should have to do

Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,084,138 times
All of the 5 males were legal age (18) yet the teacher goes to jail for 5 yrs. What a very stupid law. Only in texas.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM

14,477 posts, read 14,439,149 times
Quote:
All of the 5 males were legal age (18) yet the teacher goes to jail for 5 yrs. What a very stupid law. Only in texas.
I won't make a judgment on whether or not five years is an appropriate prison sentence in a case like this.

I will state that there is a societal interest in preventing teachers from having sex with their students. That interest is present whether the student is eighteen years old or eight years old. Such relationships are inherently coercive because the student knows that the teacher has the ability to grade him/her and this can have serious consequences for years. Its not the same thing as two adults meeting each other out of a classroom setting and striking up a relationship on their own. I can come up with other reasons why such relationships should be discouraged or penalized. For example, they undermine a school and the authority of the administration at the school. If such things are going on, it shows that the administration of the school is seemingly powerless to prevent it. In other words, administration has no control over either its teachers or students. Another factor is that parents may deem the school an unsafe place to send children for an education and maybe discouraged from using that school or the public school system. If the school can do nothing to prevent a teacher from crossing this line is it really a fit place for your child? Than, there are the arguments about allowing "the camel's nose under the tent". If a teacher can get away with having sex with an eighteen year old student than how much difference is it to have sex with a seventeen year old student? How about a fifteen year old student?

What Texas is trying to do here is enforce a law that discourages sexual exploitation of young people. Is the law perfect? No. Should some rational system that imposes penalties on people who are engaged in behavior which is inherently coercive be imposed? Yes, I think that is within a state's authority.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,084,138 times
Five yrs in jail is quite extreme. Im sure the judge could of given her a lighter sentence.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,317,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

What Texas is trying to do here is enforce a law that discourages sexual exploitation of young people. Is the law perfect? No. Should some rational system that imposes penalties on people who are engaged in behavior which is inherently coercive be imposed? Yes, I think that is within a state's authority.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime