Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM

71 posts, read 92,284 times

Advertisements

They caught him redhanded. The evidence against him is overwhelming. He has admitted to the murder but plead insanity. Insanity requires that the defendant did not know what he was doing when he did it. Almost impossible to prove in this case because the defendant knew well what he was doing, pre planned the murder, bought a gun and costume, rented a car to do the murder. So normally the prosecution should have an easy time, right?
Not so fast. Cases are won or lost before trials even start. They are won or lost in the phase of jury selection. And this jury is a defense attorney dream. 9 women on a 12 member jury from a very liberal county. 4 are minorities. That is why the DA took the death penalty off the table. He knows his case is in big trouble. I say they will find NOT GUILTY.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dunwoody-da...ry?id=15813712
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,690,478 times
I didnt read your link, just your description. If he had "Pre planned" it as you say then how can he plead insanity? He pre planned it yet only went insane during the time of the murder?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,944,081 times
The defense is claiming that he was psychotic and listening to an apparition who told him to kill Rusty Sneiderman to protect the children.

I think he will be found guilty. Though the testimony from the psychiatrist was compelling, the fact that the defense can't produce anyone from the defendant's professional or personal life who says that he ever experienced visions or other symptoms of psychosis makes me think the jury will find him not guilty.

What about the widow, though? How has she gotten away without any charges?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,690,478 times
Interesting. Either way he will be locked up. I think id rather be in prison than be locked up in a mental institution.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
No matter how "liberal" the jury, the prosecution is not in big trouble with that kind of evidence. The DA likely took the death penalty off the table because no matter how conservative and even revenge-minded the jury, they are much less likely to find a defendant guilty if they know they are going to be asked to kill someone themselves.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,977,784 times
I have never server on a death penalty jury but I think many jurors develop a 'brain freeze' when they hear 'death penalty trial.' It seems some cannot get beyond "death penalty" and consider lesser charges.

So many death row inmates may sit there 20+ years with all the appeals the jury might as well sentenced them to life without parole.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I have never server on a death penalty jury but I think many jurors develop a 'brain freeze' when they hear 'death penalty trial.' It seems some cannot get beyond "death penalty" and consider lesser charges.

So many death row inmates may sit there 20+ years with all the appeals the jury might as well sentenced them to life without parole.
I wouldn't call it brain freeze. I would call it taking premeditated, court-ordered homicide VERY seriously. I wish more people did!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM

This case has gone to the jury. I still think they will find him guilty, but you never know. The widow certainly was portrayed as the villain, though.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Daley View Post
They caught him redhanded. The evidence against him is overwhelming. He has admitted to the murder but plead insanity. Insanity requires that the defendant did not know what he was doing when he did it. Almost impossible to prove in this case because the defendant knew well what he was doing, pre planned the murder, bought a gun and costume, rented a car to do the murder. So normally the prosecution should have an easy time, right?
Not so fast. Cases are won or lost before trials even start. They are won or lost in the phase of jury selection. And this jury is a defense attorney dream. 9 women on a 12 member jury from a very liberal county. 4 are minorities. That is why the DA took the death penalty off the table. He knows his case is in big trouble. I say they will find NOT GUILTY.

Dunwoody Daycare Shooting: Prosecution Rests in Hemy Neuman Murder Trial - ABC News
Thankfully, the jury did find him guilty. "Guilty and mentally ill". He will be able to receive mental health services while in prison for a life-sentence.

Now...what is to become of the victim's wife, Andrea? Do you think they will press charges since the closing arguments of both the prosecution and the defense strongly pointed the finger at her?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,865,544 times
I think that someone needs to be keeping a close eye on Andrea so that she doesn't flee the jurisdiction. I have a pretty good feeling that her turn is coming soon....

I assume she still has the children. If she is arrested/prosecuted, I hope Rusty's family gets the children. Don't know anything about her family; would like to hear more about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime