Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,082,511 times

Advertisements

RIP JoePa you will be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 AM

955 posts, read 4,097,763 times
heaven will have a great football team next year!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,603,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Joe Paterno in serious condition. Some tv stations had reports of his demise but his family is disputing that!

Spokesman: Joe Paterno remians in serious condition | 7online.com (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8514382&rss=rss-wabc-article-8514382 - broken link)

He will take this to the grave, guaranteed! He most likely won't be making it to testify at Sandusky's impending trial. He is just as low as Sandusky. He could have prevented so many innocent kids from being harmed. Whatever comes around, goes around is my motto!. NO sympathy for this piece of garbage!
I understand the emotion but from the grand jury testimony I read and the news reports, I don't recall it being reported Paterno ever directly saw the abuse taking place. He did follow the proper channels in making a report although it's doubtful he described it as being anal rape and then Curley and or Shultz lied and down played what was reiteriated to them from the assistant coach. I don't believe Paterno is just as guilty as Sandusky unless he was molesting boys as well and it was some kind of network of pedophiles which I hope was a rumor. How do you really know he could have saved all the boys if the cops didn't even act on the reports? Shouldn't they have been the ones out in the field asking pertinent questions gathering the overwhelming evidence in front of their faces? Why didn't Sandusky's wife report what she had to have known?

The authorties and all the parties involved in the supposed cover-up should be ashamed of themselves but that's much different legally than actually being a perpetrator of sexual abuse. I think the moral compass in that town involving Sandusky had been broken for some time! Still common sense dictates Sandusky is the true villian in this fiasco.

I'm not excusing Paterno's moral flub and I know these abusers run rampant. Had an owner of a kayak shop and owner of a gymnastics club face charges of molesting kids in my city as well as I have personally witnessed several abusive teachers and doctors not to mention a relative of sorts and several questionable acquaintances during my lifetime.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,355,446 times
Lot of guilty parties involved who could have stepped up. They didn't sadly. Grown adults that swept things under the rug. sickens me that it could have been stopped the first time it happened. Those kids will never lead normal lives again.

Sandusky's wife should be prosecuted too....how could she not know what was happening in her own basement? Horrible.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,371,798 times
For what it's worth, with Paterno now laid to rest, the investigarion should focus completely on Sandusky ... and it should be referred to as "the Sandusky scandal', not the "Penn State scandal".

My own readings of the relatively small portion of the arguments which are not disputed lead me to believe that Sandusky was "dirty", but there was plenty of room for the extremists to embellish the facts.

And there is no doubt in my mind that the almost-immediate shift of the focus of media attention from Sandusky to Penn State in general was deliberate. If there is any evidence that those who argued for this shift were cut from the same cloth as, or susbscribed to the same mentality as that in the Duke lacrosse incident of 2006, the public has every right to know this.

But as for njsocks' comment

Quote:
Sandusky's wife should be prosecuted too....how could she not know what was happening in her own basement? Horrible.
That is just one more example of the mentality of "collective guilt" and the "blame game" that fueled so much of the "lynch mob" mentality. Thre are millions of us with a strong belief in justice who still can't subscribe to that; it lies at the heart of the polarization which divides so many of us.

As demonstrated over the past week, there are a lot of us who still believe that there is more behind the "Paterno pogrom" than met the eye. Paterno leaves behind a dedicated family and following; Sandusky and the Second Mile need the most intense scrutiny possible, precisely because it apparently took advantage of, and contradicted, what many of us still see as a negative trend -- the over-sensitization and over-submissiveness of too many of our young men.

As always, the truth will come out .... and now that the Politically Correct Orgy is over, we have all the time in the world to let that happen.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-28-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,984,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

But as for njsocks' comment

That is just one more example of the mentality of "collective guilt" and the "blame game" that fueled so much of the "lynch mob" mentality. Thre are millions of us with a strong belief in justice who still can't subscribe to that; it lies at the heart of the polarization which divides so many of us.
You are wrong, I am a wife and a mother. Should my husband prepared a bedroom in the basement and I heard screams from a child, I would certainly get off my duff and investigate. This is not a 'blame game' or a mentality of "collective guilt." It's what njsocks or any responsible adult would do if they heard a child scream in their basement. Would you ignore a screaming child??

In addition yes this is a Sandusky/Second Mile scandal but it is also a Penn State scandal too. You cannot separate Sandusky from Penn State. The same with The Citadel scandal in South Carolina.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
Sandusky wants to spend more time with his Grandchildren?...
I heard that the other day...I am thinking he should not be spending any time with children!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,082,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sandusky wants to spend more time with his Grandchildren?...
I heard that the other day...I am thinking he should not be spending any time with children!
On that I agree. i'd heard one of them is a victim.
However, the grandchildren have rights, and if THEY want to see grandpa, then maybe 30 minutes supervised once a week.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,371,798 times
[quote=CarolinaWoman;22750417] I would certainly get off my duff and investigate.

If he his to be taken at his word, McQueary had that opportunity; he sat on that for 24 hours, then supposedly had a pang of conscience.

Why isn't McQueary being as throughly hounded as Paterno was? And why isn't the possibility of a "network of accusers" being investigated just as seriously?

Just as with Michael Jackson, and as with any number of mature males who came into the sights of the Absolutely Politically Correct, a double standard is clearly being applied here.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,999,070 times
Sandusky asks judge to let him visit with his grandchildren - CNN.com

I don't know why the attorney had to request for these changes to have grandchildren visit--
they can visit--they just can't visit unsupervised and that probably also precluded any overnight-visits...

as far as going to see this attorney--how has that right been precluded by either judge?

Words matter in Penn State perjury case - CNN.com

Interesting article about how McQueary's testimony/statements have modified over time and how the use of language, certain specific terms and the lack of specificity most of the time, has created ambiguity which likely will play into Sandusky's defence....

Without Paterno's direct testimony at trial as to what he and McQueary discussed and what he specifically knew or discussed with the other two PSU officials OR ANY OTHER PERSON...at the shower incident or even before it regarding Sandusky's conduct in taking kids on PSU game trips, any earlier blots on Sandusky's reputation or even his access to facilities after retiring, I think the jury is going to see a wider doorway for "reasonable doubt" to enter the deliberations...

the last part of the article--about the term "horseplay" I find very interesting. The suggestion is that Sandusky was likely the person to introduce that term to defuse McQueary's accusationabout the shower incident and that it has become the "go-to" expression that covers all sins of Sandusky's behavior with any boys he was caught in compromising situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime