Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,815,228 times

Advertisements

By the time 13-year-old Christian Choate was allegedly beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave in a Gary, Ind., trailer park in 2009, his family had been getting semiregular visits from child welfare authorities for more than 10 years.

The Indiana Department of Child Services' inch-thick case file on the Choate family details more than a dozen investigations of allegations of abuse or neglect dating to 1999. In 2009, Indiana prosecutors say, Christian died after years of abuse, finally succumbing to head injuries caused by blows from his father and older sister.

Indiana agency says it followed protocol

Caged boy's family was investigated for allegations of abuse multiple times - chicagotribune.com

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-25-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,962,130 times
Medical expert: Highland Park boy, 4, who starved to death was bound by wrists, repeatedly beaten

The death of a 4-year-old boy in Highland Park was the culmination of a long series of torture and neglect, according to a medical expert.

"..Schmidt said the photos, which Officer called "disturbing," showed bruises, healed scars and open wounds on more than 90 percent of Byrd's body.."

Medical expert: Highland Park boy, 4, who starved to death was bound by wrists, repeatedly beaten | MLive.com

Adhesive tape was still wrapped around the red swollen wrists. Schmidt said the boy had signs of longterm exposure to urine and feces.

Wayne County | Graphic details emerge in death of Highland Park boy - Michigan Weekly | miweekly.com | Food, Music, Events, Nightlife, MMJ, Culture

Some people aren't human, these people are socipaths, and should be kept in an uncomfortable prison for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Re Christian Choate. This is outrageous! but I know that this is one of those cases that will get little if any national attention. In fact I never heard of it until now.

Why Caylee Anthony and not Christian Choate? I have my thoughts, what are yours?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM

We will also never hear anything about the torture and murder of Robert Byrd. I am sure of it.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM

417 posts, read 456,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Re Christian Choate. This is outrageous! but I know that this is one of those cases that will get little if any national attention. In fact I never heard of it until now.

Why Caylee Anthony and not Christian Choate? I have my thoughts, what are yours?
I just read about Christian Choate- so painfully horrible. But what was it that is NOW bringing into the headlines; did something happen currently?
And I did want to ask what your thoughts are as to why Caylee and not Christian. Please share.
thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
WOW, CPS drops the ball AGAIN...like that is NEWS...sad, but true. There are SO many cases of children being killed by parents, where there was CPS involvement...it is hushed up...we don't want to admit lax government officials...who don't do their work .

Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 AM

I have HAD it with CPS, Department of Children and Families or whatever your particular state chooses to call the organization charged with responding to allegations of maltreatment.
I do NOT understand what could have looked "normal" in this trailer home. How big is a trailer? If they had a large dog cage and no dog, why was it there? Perhaps every time a case is reported, the child should have a physical exam by a physician trained to look for signs of abuse, and be reassured that they will not be returned to their abuser if they are at all afraid.

If the child is taken into another room and questioned, with the adults waiting for them, most children who have been victimized would be afraid to speak. Sociopathic child abusers are notoriously good manipulators. Manipulation is part of the pathology. In fact, falsely accused normal parents may seem more nervous when interviewed than abusive ones!

Cases such as these and the one involving Zahara Baker make me ill. These children were being "monitored: their local protective agencies, and they were still killed.

I am also beginning to have a bit of a problem with all of this "home schooling" I know I am going to be slammed by some for saying this, and not all home schooled children are victims of abuse. Most are not. However, recently there have been cases of several home schooled children who have died at the hands of their teacher/parents. There are people who do it for valid reasons, but for neglectful and abusive parents, it has become a way out. Truancy and school attendance were once ways that cases of child maltreatment were first noticed. The home is a very dangerous place for children! Some children, anyway.

Should parent's be profiled? IMO - to some extent. There are certain indicators of child abuse that have been compiled by researchers in this field. It has been a while since I have been in school but I will try to think of a few:
1. frequent moves within the same area
2. lack of contact with others in the community
3. the presence of a step parent, boyfriend or girlfriend of the parent
4. illness or disability of the child
5. frequent absences from school
6. low socio-economic status.

There are others, but at least a few of these seem to come up when something like this happens. And it happens way too frequently.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
Sheena, you and I are on the SAME page about "homeschooling". And CPS. In Miami, the little girl kept reporting abuse to the teacher, who called CPS, and eventually, the parents stopped sending the girl to school..and NO ONE DID ANYTHING...Then, someone does report abuse, and the worker goes to the house, the "Mother" says, "oh, she is not here, she is fine"...NO WAY!!!!! At that point, the CPS worker should have called the police, had the police come to the home, and DEMANDED to see the child who was abused...she might have been saved...But instead, the CPS worker just goes home, work is done...
Home where abused twins lived was a house of horrors - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/19/2076037/victor-and-nubias-house-of-horrors.html - broken link)

These CPS issues NEED to be brought to the front, to save these children. Where is Nancy Grace? No where...no one wants to take this issue on...

Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,619 times
I can feel and, moreover, understand the outrage by people. At the sametime, you realize, this happens EVERY SINGLE DAY, in cities, counties, and states all across the country? This IS NOT some isolated incident. Kids are routinely tortured, beaten, sexually abused, every minute, of everyday.

You realize, there are women out there, who have children, for 5 thousand, 10 thousand dollars, and give them to pedophiles? You realize, many women marry pedophiles and have children just for them to sexually abuse?

ABSOLUTELY nothing is shocking and/or eye opening here. Its business as usual, in the good ole USA.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Because something horrible happens frequently, does not render it any less appalling!
It means that we need reform and change.
I would prefer ORPHANAGES over this current broken and corrupt system! At least the children could be monitored carefully while attending public school. Multiple professional care givers are not ideal. but the situation of a child being removed ot otherwise unable to live with her family is also less than ideal.
Just because it is called a "family" does not make it good. The same goes for foster families. People are being paid for taking care of children in their own homes. With minimal supervision.
Recipe for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime