Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times

Advertisements

Killer, 13, sent to juvenile detention until age 21 - CNN.com

Summary: 12 year old murders an innocent woman who was sitting in her parked car. Gets sentenced to be in juvenile detention until he turns 21, after which he will be eligible for review to either be sent to adult prison for life... OR... let free.

Yes. You read that correctly. This animal will possibly be roaming the streets again in just 8 years after murdering somebody. All because he's a minor. Apparently 12/13 year olds don't understand that killing someone is bad. Christ, I knew that was bad when I learned how to understand English. If you don't know that by the time you're 13, you've failed to integrate as a part of modern civilized society.

The criminal "justice" system in this nation is a pathetic circus. Pot smokers get sent to jail for years. A 14 year old who tried to help a 3 year old find her mother in a store gets charged with kidnapping. Meanwhile a murderer gets 8 years in JUVIE and people who bring about the collapse of the world economy get a pat on the back and a few billion dollars to boot.

I hate to say it but we could learn a thing or two from the Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
I would have him neutered.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Killer, 13, sent to juvenile detention until age 21 - CNN.com

Summary: 12 year old murders an innocent woman who was sitting in her parked car. Gets sentenced to be in juvenile detention until he turns 21, after which he will be eligible for review to either be sent to adult prison for life... OR... let free.

Yes. You read that correctly. This animal will possibly be roaming the streets again in just 8 years after murdering somebody. All because he's a minor. Apparently 12/13 year olds don't understand that killing someone is bad. Christ, I knew that was bad when I learned how to understand English. If you don't know that by the time you're 13, you've failed to integrate as a part of modern civilized society.

The criminal "justice" system in this nation is a pathetic circus. Pot smokers get sent to jail for years. A 14 year old who tried to help a 3 year old find her mother in a store gets charged with kidnapping. Meanwhile a murderer gets 8 years in JUVIE and people who bring about the collapse of the world economy get a pat on the back and a few billion dollars to boot.

I hate to say it but we could learn a thing or two from the Chinese.

I hate to show my ignorance, HDC, but what is it we can learn from the Chinese?

I think this is why more and more juvies are getting tried as adults here. A 17 year old gets convicted of murder1 and only has to spend a year in Juvie??? That's ridiculous and obscene.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Its blended sentencing. And if he wins another felony while he is locked up then its a wrap.

Yeah, Michigan is spending lots of time worrying about "pot smokers". Michigan - NORML

Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
@tamizn, to be honest I'm not sure on the youth offenders front. But for adult offenders, the punishments are very harsh, and the death penalty there doesn't take 20 years to be carried out. White collar criminals and criminal negligence are also punished very harshly.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would have him neutered.

That's another good punishment, Oildog, but taht may not deter all rapists. The system was doing a program years ago with drugs that would chemically castrate but I think it was a failure because the paroled rapists would rape again when back in the real world. I wonder if physical castration would stop whatever "needs" these guys have?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
You know, I don't think you guys are seeing this but this type of sentencing is both juvenile and criminal. The whole point of a blended sentence is for tougher sanctions. In most states, to the best of my knowledge, a juvenile offender can be sentenced until they reach the age of 21. I have not seen any in my area, but I do know that the courts have that power here. In some states they are held in a juvenile correctional facility until they reach whatever age the state says that you become an adult and then are transferred to an adult facility.

Why? Because even in an adult prison, as juveniles, they still have to be kept separated from adults. This means that they are in a cell for 23 out of 24 hours a day. Isolation which is meant to be a form of punishment in the system itself is an everyday thing. When juveniles are released into adult populations they become targets for rape and sexual abuse at the hands of the adults.

It may be an entirely normal procedure that at the age of 21 any individual comes up for review. Why? Perhaps because at the age of 21 the juvenile courts lack jurisdiction in the state of Michigan.

As it stands the incident occured when he was 12. Therefore, from the time of arrest he has been detained at juvie. He will be transported to a department of correction facility for juveniles. He will take a shower when told, wear department of correction clothing and underwear, brush his teeth when told, attend whatever educational program that is required when told, watch whatever tv programs that are allowed when they are allowed. He will have to spend that entire time watching kids come and go that may have to be there to complete whatever program that they are on if Michigan has them. He will have to dodge any incoming gangbangers. He can't attack the staff, or attempt an escape or any number of crimes or its a wrap. And if he is lucky, he might get a review that is in his favor or the courts may say sorry fella you can transfer here. See most people have an idea of how much time they are going to do when they enter a prison. This is not this kind of sentencing.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 06-19-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 AM

44 posts, read 122,633 times
Not that I'm condoning what he did, but a person's brain isn't even fully developed until the approximate age of TWENTY-FIVE.

Do I think a 12 year old who kills should get off scot free? No. But do I think a 12 year old should be treated the same as an adult? No, I don't. Understanding right and wrong is one thing, but fully understanding the consequences of your actions and being able to control your impulses and emotions is another.

He'll never be able to take back or make up for what he did, but maybe there's a chance he can still be reformed. Maybe there's a chance that he can still grow and learn and become a productive, positive member of society.

That's the whole point of re-evaluating him when he's 21. To see if that has in fact become the case, or if he should be sentenced to life in prison at that point.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I think I would have a hard time making a judgment call on this one myself. I tend to agree with core17 that a kid at 12 probably doesn't have a full concept of 'murder'. I'm just not sure that even a juvenile detention has the capacity to rehabilitate or fix whatever went terribly wrong with this kid.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think I would have a hard time making a judgment call on this one myself. I tend to agree with core17 that a kid at 12 probably doesn't have a full concept of 'murder'. I'm just not sure that even a juvenile detention has the capacity to rehabilitate or fix whatever went terribly wrong with this kid.
they dont. they are doomed. Here in Florida, we try 15 year olds as adults and sentence them to LWOP. If by some chance they do get out, they have no life left to live. I am not a bleeding heart liberal but these kids need the chances and support before they get into the prison system. A lot of these kids are on the streets by the time they are 10 years old, trying to survive or living with Mom and her abusive boyfriend.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime