Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone~ After scouring the internets for some forums to ask the questions I have on, I found this lovely place. =D

So, in a few days I will be moving from Florida to Nebraska by Greyhound bus. I cannot afford to fly and I do not have a car, hence the bus.

But I have a few questions regarding traveling by bus, as it will be my first time doing so! (how exciting? hmm)

#1. Is a purse (lady handbag, as I am a lady =P) considered a carry-on?

#2. On the website it says that the first piece of luggage is free, the second is $10, but they don't tell you what the fee is for a 3rd. Does anyone know how much they charge for a 3rd bag/suitcase?

#3. I have only traveled by plane and car previously, so I am unsure how this bus thing works. Do they have 'gates' similar to ones they have in airports? I am honest-to-god scared I will get on the wrong bus and screw up somehow. How will I know where the next bus is located (I will have 2-3 transfers from FL to NE)? Does your ticket or paperwork tell you? Does it work in the same fashion as a plane?

I would love to be able to scale it down to taking 3 bags (minus purse) so my 2 bags aren't so damn heavy and I don't go over the 50lb limit, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a third bag.

Baaw, so many question! I'm sorry for asking such newbish things. =P Thank you very much for taking a look! Have a good day! =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Have you explored the possibility of having a friend, relative, or acquaintance drive you, if you pay the car expenses? If I were there, I'd be delighted to do it, just for the road trip. Perhaps someone temporarily unemployed, or a student with time off classes.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
#1 and #2 call Greyhound and ask them,or if you have a local station ask the staff there. #3 check in at the desk at each station,they will tell you which gate to line up at. The driver checks your ticket before boarding you so it's pretty heard to get on the wrong bus. Be sure to bring some snacks, the food service can be pretty spotty. Don't worry! You'll do fine,and good luck in your new situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel