Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM

75 posts, read 593,159 times

Advertisements

When I reserve a room through the phone, (in most cases) do they charge my card already over the phone? Or do they charge it once I'm there?

Also, do most places refund you if you end up canceling the reservation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,498,060 times
they hold your card number so that if you cancel, depending on their policy, they may charge you some fee. otherwise they will charge you at the time of check in. at that point you can either charge it or pay cash.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
When I reserve a room through the phone, (in most cases) do they charge my card already over the phone? Or do they charge it once I'm there?

Also, do most places refund you if you end up canceling the reservation?

BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY RESERVATION, make sure that you understand the terms and conditions of the reservations. In most cases, you may cancel up until 6 pm of the day of the reservation.

However, in resort areas, sometimes, you have to cancel a minimum of 72 hours in advance. In remote areas, I have seen a minimum of 30 days prior to the trip.

On some opaque websites like Priceline and Hotwire, all reservations are nonchangeable or cancellable. In that case, your credit card is charges at the time of the reservation.

ALSO, some of the cheapest rates at certain chains like Hilton are also non-refundable and you are charged at the time of reservation.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,309,153 times
A friend of mine recently divulged a trick of his that I like.

When he places his reservation he purposely changes the last four numbers so that his card cannot get charged in advance. At his destination he just goes Oops and "corrects" his mistake. I may try that myself.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM

111 posts, read 435,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

When he places his reservation he purposely changes the last four numbers so that his card cannot get charged in advance. At his destination he just goes Oops and "corrects" his mistake. I may try that myself.
May work, but who is to say that it will work at every hotel you may want to stay at? You or your friend may show up to check-in and not even have a reservation.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 AM

50 posts, read 571,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

(I'm speaking just about the Resort I work in here...) When a guest gives us a credit/debit card number over the phone, and we enter it into the computer...if it is an invalid number, we will know IMMEDIATELY. We also cannot complete the reservation without a valid card number entered.

I do know that sometimes, when you're dealing with a no-name hotel or a Mom-N-Pop type hotel in a small town...believe it or not...some of these hotels STILL do not enter reservations into a computer! They do everything by hand. So, they might just write down your CC Number and not realize it is invalid. (I actually stay at a small Mom-N-Pop hotel like this every year in So. Dak. and it amazes me every time that they STILL do not have a computer!)

Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buns View Post
I do know that sometimes, when you're dealing with a no-name hotel or a Mom-N-Pop type hotel in a small town...believe it or not...some of these hotels STILL do not enter reservations into a computer! They do everything by hand. So, they might just write down your CC Number and not realize it is invalid. (I actually stay at a small Mom-N-Pop hotel like this every year in So. Dak. and it amazes me every time that they STILL do not have a computer!)
Most of the major chains have caught on to this a long time ago and can verify a false number immediately.

I would be MORE concerned if a hotel was manually writing down a CC number as to the rish if identity theft.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,003,437 times
Before you book, ask what the cancellation policy is...for some it's days in advance, some are 24 hours prior and some are up to 4 pm the day of arrival! Find out BEFORE you book!

They generally don't charge your card until you arrive, unless you fail to cancel and then you may get charged.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,309,153 times
Sounds to me like it's a bad idea all-around. Don't know how my friend gets away with it. Anyway, thank you all for the feedback.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Before you book a reservation, know first the policy bout the reservation and the cancellation. But as what i have experienced when you book a reservation theres no charge. It will only counts the charge on the day you will arrived at the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel