Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

We are planning a road trip to the Grand Canyon in March. How far in advance do I reserve the hotel rooms we will need? Do you get a better deal now or wait until closer to March?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM

63 posts, read 169,699 times
The big difference between booking airfare and hotel rooms is that the majority of hotel room reservations can be canceled at no charge. This doesn't apply to any 3rd party sites like Priceline, Hotels.com, etc. Once you book on any of those websites it is very hard to get your money back.

I recommend going to the hotel websites and seeing what the rates are. If you are comfortable with the rate, book it (check to see the cancellation policy) and check back regularly. If the rate goes down in time, book the lower rate. If it goes up, you are already locked in.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Are you planning to stay INSIDE the National Park, or outside and drive in for the day? Due to the incredible popularity of the Grand Canyon and the limited number of rooms, I recommend booking as soon as possible. If you plan to stay in the National Park, I doubt the prices change much, except for possibly high-season low-season rates. You will not be there during the heavily traveled summer but still,lodging is limited. There are more rooms available in the nearby towns, but these are quite a way from the National Park. I have stayed twice at Maswik Lodge. It is comfortable but not fancy and reasonably priced. For in the park lodging, you have to reserve through Xanterra. Outside the National Park there are many more options.Grand Canyon tours, accommodation, vacation. Hotels, camping, cabins. - Lodging Overview

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I think most places ask you to book 10 days in advance?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I think most places ask you to book 10 days in advance?
And can require you to cancell as much as two weeks in advance.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Lightbulb Best info yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Are you planning to stay INSIDE the National Park, or outside and drive in for the day? Due to the incredible popularity of the Grand Canyon and the limited number of rooms, I recommend booking as soon as possible. If you plan to stay in the National Park, I doubt the prices change much, except for possibly high-season low-season rates. You will not be there during the heavily traveled summer but still,lodging is limited. There are more rooms available in the nearby towns, but these are quite a way from the National Park. I have stayed twice at Maswik Lodge. It is comfortable but not fancy and reasonably priced. For in the park lodging, you have to reserve through Xanterra. Outside the National Park there are many more options.Grand Canyon tours, accommodation, vacation. Hotels, camping, cabins. - Lodging Overview
Great information if you want to stay in a particular location within the Nat’l Park. There are no rate specials given inside the park that I’m aware of.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared422 View Post
The big difference between booking airfare and hotel rooms is that the majority of hotel room reservations can be canceled at no charge. This doesn't apply to any 3rd party sites like Priceline, Hotels.com, etc. Once you book on any of those websites it is very hard to get your money back.
If you're wanting to book far ahead on a site such as Priceline, I'd recommend travel insurance. That way, if you have a family emergency, at least you can claim it, and possibly get a refund this way.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Inside the park - book as soon as possible although that isn't visitor season. They book up fast. Are all the hotels inside the park even open at that time of year?

Outside the park probably doesn't matter, price wise or otherwise - sometimes you get last minute deals, sometimes you can get an early booking special (unlikely for the off-season of March). If I remember you only option is Flagstaff, but it's been awhile since I visited Grand Canyon.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM

164 posts, read 838,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If I remember you only option is Flagstaff, but it's been awhile since I visited Grand Canyon.
Flagstaff is about 1-1/2 hours from Grand Canyon Village and is where we usually stay. Williams AZ and has several different properties. It's a little closer, about an hour's drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM

111 posts, read 435,384 times
I don't know about the Grand Canyon specifically, but I always book my hotel as soon as I know what dates I'll need it for. This has been as much as 8 months and as little as 3 weeks in advance for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel