Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,309,360 times

Advertisements

Not sure of the weather, but the dalmation coast of Croatia is supposed to be lovely, quaint and adventerous as a European value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,706,379 times
I second Costa Rica and Belize. Fantastic beaches, great hiking, fabulous wildlife it's got it all...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,706,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not sure of the weather, but the dalmation coast of Croatia is supposed to be lovely, quaint and adventerous as a European value
Stunning but it is quite expensive though. Dubrovnik is really quite pricey now. Beautiful though , the coast is magnificent, great architecture and very romantic...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 AM

454 posts, read 1,411,719 times
thanks everyone.
we're considering Austrailia for 11 days (including the 17 hour flight from LA and the 5 hours to LA from the east coast)

price is about 2800 for two cities everything included (not food. not flight from east coast to LA).
is Austrailia worth the looooong flight and the relatively short time we have? (i guess about 9 days when you deduct the flight time)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM

14,523 posts, read 14,516,070 times
I would take a hard look at a trip to New Zealand. We went there in September of 2009. The seasons are reversed, so that if you go there in November it will be late spring. If you go, I'd suggest an itinerary like this:

1. All international flights go into the largest city, Auckland. Spend just a day or two there.
2. Head up north to the Bay of Islands. There are lots of beautiful beaches up that way. You may want to take the cruise out to "Hole in the Rock" which is a famous landmark. I would suggest you take a trip up to Cape Reinga which includes a magnificent hike and you can take your picture next to a very famous lighthouse. The tour we were on included a bus ride along the sandy beach for almost 60 miles!! At one point we stopped and dug clams. At another point, we took pieces of cardboard and slid down a high sand dune which is a new thing sort of becoming the rage in New Zealand right now (their version of sledding). You may get an opportunity if you want too to rent horses (English saddle is obligatory) and ride them along the beach.
3. Head down to Rotorua and see the country down there. Much of this area is still inhabited by the Maori. They have villages. Rotorua is home to geysers and mudpots and is a little bit like Yellowstone National Park in America. Its worth a day or two to visit.
4. Continue on South to Wellington. Wellington is a beautiful city perched on the side of a steep mountain. I would recommend you ride the cable car to the top of the city where you get a fantastic view of the harbor and everything in between.
5. If you have time, visit the South Island. Christchurch is the largest city there and very beautiful. Walk along the Avon River and enjoy the scenery.
6. Queenstown is further south on the South Island and has much to do including gondola rides, helicopter rides, and bungie jumping for the very adventurous. Its not far from Mt. Cook National Park. You can take a ski plane and land on a glacier there if you desire.

My wife and I absolutely loved NZ and the people we met there. Everyone is extremely polite. Except for a bit of theft and drug use, crime is virtually non-existent. People are exceedingly honest in their dealings. You are not even expected to tip waiters, waitresses, and cab drivers. You won't find hidden prices when you talk to vendors and merchants.

I can't recommend this country highly enough. I just wish the USA was more like it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I would take a hard look at a trip to New Zealand. We went there in September of 2009. The seasons are reversed, so that if you go there in November it will be late spring. If you go, I'd suggest an itinerary like this:

1. All international flights go into the largest city, Auckland. Spend just a day or two there.
2. Head up north to the Bay of Islands. There are lots of beautiful beaches up that way. You may want to take the cruise out to "Hole in the Rock" which is a famous landmark. I would suggest you take a trip up to Cape Reinga which includes a magnificent hike and you can take your picture next to a very famous lighthouse. The tour we were on included a bus ride along the sandy beach for almost 60 miles!! At one point we stopped and dug clams. At another point, we took pieces of cardboard and slid down a high sand dune which is a new thing sort of becoming the rage in New Zealand right now (their version of sledding). You may get an opportunity if you want too to rent horses (English saddle is obligatory) and ride them along the beach.
3. Head down to Rotorua and see the country down there. Much of this area is still inhabited by the Maori. They have villages. Rotorua is home to geysers and mudpots and is a little bit like Yellowstone National Park in America. Its worth a day or two to visit.
4. Continue on South to Wellington. Wellington is a beautiful city perched on the side of a steep mountain. I would recommend you ride the cable car to the top of the city where you get a fantastic view of the harbor and everything in between.
5. If you have time, visit the South Island. Christchurch is the largest city there and very beautiful. Walk along the Avon River and enjoy the scenery.
6. Queenstown is further south on the South Island and has much to do including gondola rides, helicopter rides, and bungie jumping for the very adventurous. Its not far from Mt. Cook National Park. You can take a ski plane and land on a glacier there if you desire.

My wife and I absolutely loved NZ and the people we met there. Everyone is extremely polite. Except for a bit of theft and drug use, crime is virtually non-existent. People are exceedingly honest in their dealings. You are not even expected to tip waiters, waitresses, and cab drivers. You won't find hidden prices when you talk to vendors and merchants.

I can't recommend this country highly enough. I just wish the USA was more like it.
thank you so much for your recommendation!
sounds like you had a blast.
i'd LOVE to go to NZ and have thought about it but my problem is that it pains me to take the long azz flights to NZ and not go to Austrailia and/or the great barrier reef! (and vice versa) and i simply don't have the time (it seems) or the budget to do both. hehe
and i recon that it's infinitely harder to do these two countries once you're married and have a kid or two! so i wanna get it out of the way! hehe
how much did the trip cost you by the way? everything included (including literally everything)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM

14,523 posts, read 14,516,070 times
I went with my wife and ten year old daughter. This occurred during the height of the "swine flu panic" in the USA. None of us got sick though. In fact, I think it may have been healthier in NZ than in America. Our packages cost about $1300 a piece. They included international flights, domestic flights to the Bay of Islands, Rotorua, and Wellington as well as transfers to hotels. Meals and tours were extra. I'd have a hard time telling you exactly how much extra. However, I think you could swing the hole thing for $2800 a piece. It was a nine day trip.

Seriously, we've also been to Australia. When we travel we only go to NZ or Australia on one trip. We don't try to both on the same trip. There is simply too much to see in each country. Although, you are right its a very long flight.

I mention my ten year old daughter because traveling with one child is not as hard as you think. The movies and such aboard the airplane keep the kids busier and more pacified than you'd imagine. International travel--to a safe country--is a great way to educate your kids as well.

You'll have fun whatever you do.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM

that's great. thanks again for the reply.
did you have your hotel included in the 1300?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel