Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,217,696 times

Advertisements

Yes, we’ve progressed as a people. We have a black president. Blah, blah, blah. J I have a concern/question:
I’d like to rent a house for a long weekend in early December. We’re Marylanders, so something relatively close in PA, VA and/or MD would be great. Any recommendations for a safe, racially-tolerant place to stay? While I don’t necessarily need a locale where black people are aplenty, I am black so it would be nice to vacation in a place where I won’t get weird looks, etc.

The Poconos area of PA is a given. Any particular spots in VA or MD that would fit the bill?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,505,124 times
How far are you willing to drive for your trip? That could help us make recommendations.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
How far are you willing to drive for your trip? That could help us make recommendations.
Anything less than 5 hours. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM

You mentioned the Poconos, so are you considering a trip to the mountains? If so, I've always loved the Shenanadoahs in Virginia. One of my favorite.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,954,158 times
Is anyone really taking this question seriouslly? What exactly is "racially tolerant"?

What wierd looks exactly do you expect to get? Are you martian?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Is anyone really taking this question seriouslly? What exactly is "racially tolerant"?

What wierd looks exactly do you expect to get? Are you martian?
I'm sorry you don't find my question serious, however as a black woman, I'm always cautious when going out to rural areas. If you can't imagine
being looked at curiously/suspiciously/etc, consider yourself lucky.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
You mentioned the Poconos, so are you considering a trip to the mountains? If so, I've always loved the Shenanadoahs in Virginia. One of my favorite.
I was considering the Shenanadoahs. Would that be an area where non-Whites would feel comfortable/welcome, etc? (I'm not suggesting that the area is racist, I'm just wondering if we, as a black family, would stick out like a sore thumb!).

Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM

I wish I could answer that question for you, but I'm part of a different racial demographic.

However, here's a link to the National Park Service Web site, where you can see what there is to do in Shenandoah National Park: Shenandoah National Park - Things To Do (U.S. National Park Service)

It's a really beautiful place, so if you like hiking and outdoorsy things, I think you'll have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I was considering the Shenanadoahs. Would that be an area where non-Whites would feel comfortable/welcome, etc? (I'm not suggesting that the area is racist, I'm just wondering if we, as a black family, would stick out like a sore thumb!).

Thanks for your helpful suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel