Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a woman do you or would you travel solo?
Yes, I have and I had relatively good experiences. 53 77.94%
Yes, I have but I had relatively bad experiences. 1 1.47%
Yes, and I have had relatively equally good and bad experiences. 4 5.88%
No, I haven't but I would like to one day. 3 4.41%
No, I would not travel alone. 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Haven't done it outside of USA but I camp all the time alone - ok have my dog. Went to Hawaii last year without dog and it was great made tons of friends and going back. Just about to drive up the Alcan in a couple of weeks to Alaska.... just use your instinct and radars... don't get drunk ....Using gut instinct and common sense is what I depend on. The older I get the more I appreciate not having a man along to change any plan or splurge I want to do.

Did have two girlfriends go to Moraco Spain and they had a really bad experience in Morraco..
"Morocco" is not in Spain! Just wanted to point that out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
It was a combined trip - they loved Spain, Portugal, and then Morocco.... sorry ...
Morocco is where they had problems. They don't resort it and ended up in the wrong place wrong time. They in the end used a man from Detriot to literal get out of the country - lost most $$ to others where afraid for themselves while there. Now did they do there research and go to the best of areas as I would have done probable not. Their experience defintely wasn't one I would like to encounter - these gals travel allot and are both over 6ft... that is the only experience I have heard of solo or just two woman having a bad time though.

I agree with others had said - I try to blend with the area and communities I go with. The camera is a give away but I don't wear lots of jewlery try to be flashy in any way while solo.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:47 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,284 times
My one time travelling alone didn't go well. I must admit that it probably would not have been much better had I been with someone else. Turbulance on 1st flight, Man beating his daughter with his belt on 2nd plane (before departure and he was asked to leave the plane - whole family left), then on 3rd flight more turbulance but this time it was on a 7 passenger Cessna! That really made my nerves go haywire! Especially since I was seated in the co-pilots seat for the flight!
Again - not sure it would have been better if I was with someone.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM

144 posts, read 597,434 times
Default what do you think about this

For those of you who have traveled to foreign countries did you speak the language? For travels in the US or your own country did you stick to "touristy" area, did you go into urban areas that you didn't know anything about how about back road country/rural areas?

I have heard about a beautiful state park in Mississippi, Tishimingo(sp?), it is in a very rural county, the park it self is somewhat secluded, I heard many people don't know about it. I might like to go camping there, I am not bold enough to camp in a tent but I am looking into buying a hardside camper or pop-up camper and I might consider camping in that and hiking the backcountry by day. What do you think is this a bad idea for safety reasons? Is it a perfectly fine idea as long as I am prepared for ......?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
I travel solo all the time and have never had any problems. People tend to be very welcoming.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
For those of you who have traveled to foreign countries did you speak the language?
Alone I've been only to Germany, Belgium, and multiple times in Mexico. Mexico is just my backyard... I don't even consider it a foreign country. I don't speak Spanish, but everybody speaks English. Can't say I've had any problems in Germany, either. I've studied German very long time ago and can't say my knowledge of the language is of much help. Yes, I can read and figure out many things, but that's as far as it goes. Belguim was just a day trip, so I'm not sure... but it probably would've been fine for a longer stay as well.

Language barrier is more of a problem when funds are limited. Enough money helps you float effortlessly anywhere.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Yes!!! And it seems I have more freedom to go, do or visit anyone or anything at the spur-of-the-moment if I want to.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
"Morocco" is not in Spain! Just wanted to point that out
But Spain is in Morocco! Ceuta is a Spanish city on the North African coast which is claimed as part of its territory by Morocco. When I was in Gibraltar many years ago it wasn't possible to cross into Spain but we were able to take a ferry across the Straits of Gibraltar to Ceuta.

I've visited the US 5 times and Poland once on my own, never experienced any hassle. I've been pestered more in London than abroad! I find that always appearing to have a confident air,even if you don't feel confident inside,helps. However,there are places in the world where I personally would never visit as a solo traveller. You just have to weigh up the risks before you travel.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
What I love most about traveling alone is that I can do exactly what I want to do, exactly when I want to do it, for exactly as long as I want to -- without being interrupted, without negotiating, without paying attention to anything I don't want to pay attention to.

Traveling alone, being with ME, is I think an entirely nurturing experience, because I am completely available to me, and so is the world. Nothing distracts me from my real feelings and my real thoughts. I can learn aspects of myself I hadn't previously paid a lot of attention to, and make choices about them. I can treat myself, and indulge myself, and enjoy myself. And that means I come home enhanced, with more to give to me and to everyone else in my life.

Solo travel rocks!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times

{--------- What she says!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel