Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM

192 posts, read 322,256 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to get some feedback on where to take my family on our first vacation. We would like to go to someplace like Jamacia or the Bahamas but I don't even know where to begin. From others I have been told to try and get someting that is all inclusive in price, but there was just a notice on the news about internet booking companies that take your money and run, so I am skeptical. Any help would be most appreciated. The trip would include 5 people with 2 teenagers and will be in April (is it too soon to start planning?) Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,574 times
If this is your first vacation maybe you need something smaller to start with. Maybe a nice state park with a great pool and lots of area attractions.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
How about Belize? When we did a large family cruise, Belize was our favorite port of call. On that one day the 18 people in our group went horseback riding in the rainforest and along a beach, diving, caving, rode a boat on a river and visited an ancient ruin, and rode atv's through the rainforest. It's clean, safe, and relatively cheap. Unlike Jamaica, you can go all over the island and meet the people.http://www.travelbelize.org/

Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,170,962 times
I'm so crazy......when I read the thread title I thought it meant the White House First Family!! LOL

Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I'm so crazy......when I read the thread title I thought it meant the White House First Family!! LOL
That was sort of funny, I never thought of it that way

Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 AM

41 posts, read 230,311 times
If you use reputable company like Funjet.com,Applevacaions.com you should not have any problems.
You can always book your vacation through a travel agent (there is no extra fee for using an agent) .
There are a lot of beach vacations you can take,depending on your budget.
since you have teenagers, you would want to go somewhere where there are things to do for teens. I have a teenager boy and just plain beach vacations are too boring for him,so for the last 4-5 years we have been taking cruises and we all love it b/c on the ship there is a lot of things to do for everybody and when you get to ports you all can go on excursions together or just to the beach.
If you are set on going on vacation to the beach somewhere,do a little bit more research on what Islands to go.for example Jamaica is a beautiful Island,but not very safe if you'd want to go explore on your own.
Bahamas IMO is too overpriced.
Have you thought of going to Mexico? Like Riviera Maya or Cozumel ?
The beaches are beautiful,you can do an all inclusive. There are tons of awesome resorts,fairly inexpensive ,great service...
I have heard good things about Belize also.Check that website that OP suggested.
And I dont think it is too soon to plan a vacation in april,you can get a good deal by booking early.
FYI-if you book a cruise now, you can always get your money back 60-90 days prior to your cruise,all you have to pay now is your deposit.

If you do an all inclusive through Funjet for example,if the rate goes down anytime between now and your vacation they will give you a refund.You can also get a travel insurance (about $30-$50 pp) and if you all change your mind by next april you can get your money back.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback, I will begin to work on the links and suggestions that you all posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel