Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 AM

105 posts, read 200,110 times

Advertisements

uggh I am to fly to frankfurt in 3 days and am paranoid since I saw they just up'd the security level for terror threats on airlines.... how safe is it to fly? I am scared as it is to fly but now this added pressure makes it even worse for me?
Do they have air marshalls on all transatlantic flights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
It's absolutely safe to fly. Although you'll never know for sure weather there will be an air marshall on the flight, they do tend to gravitate to "higher profile" routes, such as transatlantic. There's no reason at all why you should have second thoughts. Plus, if you're flying on an American airline, there's the added chance that your flight crew will be armed as well.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM

i am flying as always with US Airways.... are you serious? i never heard flight crews being armed??????? thats good to know! but that wont help with liquid explosives? :-(

Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Yep... it's a voluntary program, and they are trained at federal facilities, deputized as "federal flight deck officer," the whole nine yards. Add that to the reinforced flight deck doors and increased overall awareness, and a breach of the flight deck should be the least of your worries.

Liquid explosives "should" be eliminated by the gels and liquids ban at security, but I suppose that has mostly to do with your trust of the TSA to catch it. Even so, as a frequent flyer and pilot, I never have a second thought.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
As a traveler, I agree with tande1n5. Thanks to pretty frequent variations in incoming security information, the "level" of security goes up and down all the time. I would not hesitate to fly on a leading commercial airline.
And if you choose to relax instead of fret, choose to enjoy the delight of traveling, you are much more likely to have fun. Enjoy!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times
Do any of you know why they up'd the security. Some sort of intel tip? I am also a terribly nervous flier who has to fly very soon, so this does not help.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
From homeland security page:

"June 9, 2008 — The United States government's national threat level is Elevated, or Yellow.

The U.S. threat level is High, or Orange, for all domestic and international flights. Only small amounts of liquids, aerosols and gels are allowed in carry-on baggage. See the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website for up-to-date information on items permitted and prohibited on airlines.

We are mindful of the recent tapes and propaganda messages allegedly from Al Qaeda regarding increased attacks. At this time there is no credible information warning of an imminent, specific threat to the homeland."

Threat levels has not changed for several years. They did not "up the security on intl flights". As the saying goes - you have a 100 times chance more of dying in a car accident on the way to the airport then going down on a flight due to terrorisim or malfunction.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-09-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_tampa View Post
uggh I am to fly to frankfurt in 3 days and am paranoid since I saw they just up'd the security level for terror threats on airlines.... how safe is it to fly? I am scared as it is to fly but now this added pressure makes it even worse for me?
Do they have air marshalls on all transatlantic flights?
I know rational argument often holds no water in situations like this but you're infinitely more likely to come to harm in you car on the way to the airport - please try not to worry.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM

well thanks for "easing" my mind..... tomorrow morning I will start my trip to Frankfurt I have flown back and forth to the US I cant even count anymore and ALWAYS as far as I can remember 20 some years I was always horrorfied! Another one of my fears is flying transatlantic.... where would they land in case of a medical emergency? that was always one of my major fears!!! because flying over the "water" there isnt much of runways out there.... any suggestions on that to ease my mind?

I know I guess I should get some ZANAX haha... thanks in advance for answers

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_tampa View Post
Another one of my fears is flying transatlantic.... where would they land in case of a medical emergency? that was always one of my major fears!!!
Truthfully, you're over the water for less time than you might think. Many people think that you depart, head over the water, and break the coast the next morning. Not quite the case. Sparing you from all the boredom of great circle routes, the actual plan takes one up over Canada and down, which leaves the airports of Gander in Canada, Reykjavik midroute, and Shannon in Ireland as the biggies. Actually, back in the day, these airports used to be quite big before nonstops were possible.

Since most transatlantic flights are operated by twinjets now, you may be surprised to know that you are at MOST 240 minutes away from a suitable alternate... that's assuming the highest of standards... much equipment is kept to a 180 minute range. Therefore, although a medical emergency over high seas will be a bit of a concern, between the trained crew, aed equipment and these standards, it's not quite as dire as it might seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel