Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 48,007 times

Advertisements

I want a vacation where i can also find a summer job in one nice place with beaches in Europe . I don't know how should i begin , should i search the internet , should i travel there in summer and look for it Is this plan realistic?? Do u know a place where i should look for that?

Any idea will be wellcome for me, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,861 times
If you're an American, you are likely to run in to problems with work permits. You may be able to pick up some bar/restaurant work in exchange for room and board, but doubtfully anything more substantative. If this is what you're looking for and you have the resources to be flexible, the easiest thing may be to pick a location, go there, and look on the ground. Keep in mind that the US$ is low, so things may be expensive in Europe.

If you're looking for a beach holiday, Thailand (Phuket) may be a better place for that. Again, no great jobs in the works, but a lot of expats looking to make ends meet and working in dive shops doing grunt work for living expense offset, and the cost of living is cheaper (and the beaches are better!)

Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,735,203 times
You will find that as an American you are not welcome to work in the EU. They have plenty of workers of their own. As the previous poster pointed out there are work permits and visa issues.....realistically it is not possible.

The best place to pull off such a plan is in America. Florida, Hawaii, California--however you would be competing with locals and immigrants who will likely work for much less than you would.

The days of freelance work-for-vacation are drawing to a close.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,231,135 times
It also depends on your skill set that you offer.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
It also depends on your skill set that you offer.
In the EU? Um, no. They have plenty of their own citizens with the "skill set" to work in beach resorts during the summer.

In fact it is very difficult for Americans to obtain legal work in any EU country in almost any capacity. The most notable exception might be an American who has married an EU citizen and obtains work rights/permits through the means of the marriage.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,231,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
In the EU? Um, no. They have plenty of their own citizens with the "skill set" to work in beach resorts during the summer.

In fact it is very difficult for Americans to obtain legal work in any EU country in almost any capacity. The most notable exception might be an American who has married an EU citizen and obtains work rights/permits through the means of the marriage.
I don't think the OP wants to get a regular job. I know a few people here who do domestic work under the table. Also a few Americans here make some money teaching English.

If the OP has some special skill set, it could make a difference.

I noticed last year Asian women offering real massages on the beaches.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Massage, eh?

I'll bet that isn't exactly what our Sunshinee had in mind.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
I think Wastina is on the right track for what Sunshine seeks.
But here are a couple ideas:Short Term Jobs Abroad
My kid did this job for two summers: American Village (you don't have to know French to apply)
As Azoria says, the EU is protective of jobs for residents, but as Bob says, it depends on the skill set--people can get by.
My son is working legally as a translator in France, but he had to leave Paris and stay with us for two months while his visa (which his boss paid for) was processed.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineee View Post
I want a vacation where i can also find a summer job in one nice place with beaches in Europe )
Croatia's beaches are gorgeous; the Adriatic is so blue and clear.
Camp California in Croatia
how to participate

Old 06-02-2008, 03:40 AM

15 posts, read 48,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Massage, eh?

I'll bet that isn't exactly what our Sunshinee had in mind.
Yes you are right , not at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel