Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 07:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been really flummoxed with how difficult it is to find something which should be pretty simple online - a list of hotels with two-bedroom suites.

Basically, I'm married with two kids - 12 and 8. They're opposite genders, and shouldn't be sharing a bed anyway. The preferred way to go when we travel is my son sleeps on a couch (he doesn't mind) my daughter gets a bedroom, and my wife and I share another bedroom.

Finding two bedroom suites on all of the hotel sites is basically impossible though. A handful of sites like TripAdvisor do allow you to filter for "suites" but 80%+ of the time these suites are just one bedrooms (sometimes with two beds in a single bedroom). Unless I look for a particular chain that I know will have them, they're basically impossible to find.

Oh, and yeah, I prefer to book with AirBNB for just this reason. But my wife has gotten increasingly resistant to doing this, because of ideological reasons (she feels that short-term rentals displace local residents). As a result, I'm at a loss planning a trip right now to Charleston SC. It's like, we could get a two-bedroom suite out in the sticks and have to drive into town, or stay in the city area that we want, and all have to cram into a single room. Neither one is an attractive option.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 07:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
It may not be appealing depending on the length of your vacation and the goals but you could always try for two adjoining rooms or at least side-by-side. You and your son share one room and your wife and daughter share the other.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Zero in on extended stay brands like Residence Inn, Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites, etc. Not all of them have a two bedroom option but a lot of them will. Residence Inn here has 2 queens plus a sofa bed as an option-

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...view/overview/

Old 03-16-2022, 08:18 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It may not be appealing depending on the length of your vacation and the goals but you could always try for two adjoining rooms or at least side-by-side. You and your son share one room and your wife and daughter share the other.
Yeah, I looked into that just now. It's doable, but it would cost $4,000+ for the trip in total (rooms at the hotels I'm aware of with adjoining rooms run about $300 a night) and my wife balked at the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Zero in on extended stay brands like Residence Inn, Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites, etc. Not all of them have a two bedroom option but a lot of them will. Residence Inn here has 2 queens plus a sofa bed as an option-

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...view/overview/
We stay at Residence Inns a lot with our family, and there's indeed a nearby one which could fit all of us for about $300 a night. However, it's across the river from Downtown Charleston, and there doesn't appear to be any way to cross on foot. We're city folks, and when we go on vacation we want to be able to roll out of bed and explore, so the idea of being crammed on the side of a highway when there's this awesome walkable historic city right next door is just...not appealing.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:08 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
There is a site called suiteness.com. I can't speak to its accuracy.

Booking.com allows a search for Family Rooms, and many will be 2 bedroom units.

Sometimes a google search is the easiest way to find alternatives (ignore the ad listings). https://www.google.com/search?q=hote...obile&ie=UTF-8

We tried to do this several times when traveling with friends. Ultimately, the cost of hotel 2 bedroom units was very prohibitive. Unless your budget is WAY more than ours, your wife may have to budge and accept that Airbnb and VRBO is part of the travel landscape, a market disrupter, and it's not going away.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:42 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Some places also have 3 beds in one room. I know many families without huge budgets that use them.

You could also go from staying in really nice places to getting 2 rooms in an average place.

Stay in a Motel 6 and you can get the kids their own rooms.

You have many options. The best would be to get your wife off her high horse and stay at a Air B&B, Vacassa, or vbro type place so the whole family doesn't have to suffer for her beliefs.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:23 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I get her concern with short-term rentals overall, but this difficulty you're having is specifically the market gap that airbnb attempts to fill. You want a 2 bedroom place in the core of Charleston and that's not available outside of the short-term rental platforms. (Or you may be able to find a few to book direct and skip the platforms)

As for generally-speaking outside of your current search, I do think it's tough to search for 2-bedroom hotel suites. All I typically do is search the chains that I specifically seek out, like Residence Inn, Hyatt House, Homewood Suites, etc.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:49 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
I feel your pain. I have 3 kids ages 8-15 and a MIL who travels with us (so 6 total). We CAN smoosh into a single 2-bed suite with a fold-out couch, but it SUCKS. Mostly because 1) people are noisy sleepers and 2) we are all stuck using one single bathroom.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hey all,

I've been really flummoxed with how difficult it is to find something which should be pretty simple online - a list of hotels with two-bedroom suites.

Basically, I'm married with two kids - 12 and 8. They're opposite genders, and shouldn't be sharing a bed anyway. The preferred way to go when we travel is my son sleeps on a couch (he doesn't mind) my daughter gets a bedroom, and my wife and I share another bedroom.

Finding two bedroom suites on all of the hotel sites is basically impossible though. A handful of sites like TripAdvisor do allow you to filter for "suites" but 80%+ of the time these suites are just one bedrooms (sometimes with two beds in a single bedroom). Unless I look for a particular chain that I know will have them, they're basically impossible to find.

Oh, and yeah, I prefer to book with AirBNB for just this reason. But my wife has gotten increasingly resistant to doing this, because of ideological reasons (she feels that short-term rentals displace local residents). As a result, I'm at a loss planning a trip right now to Charleston SC. It's like, we could get a two-bedroom suite out in the sticks and have to drive into town, or stay in the city area that we want, and all have to cram into a single room. Neither one is an attractive option.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
I can relate to this.
Have you tried booking dot com? They usually have these filters.

However, travelling with family n kids, I have noticed that AirBnB suits me the best. I prefer to have at least two restrooms, and a parking facility. Many hotel sites are sometimes ambiguous about it, but AirBnB does the trick for me.

Booked through Booking dot come a few times and it worked out good too.

May be ask your wife to look into the idea of putting your own residence on AirBnb while you guys are out on Vacation renting an AirBnb in SC? This will not only make the "displacing the locals" factor even out but you will also get some money made while you are away on vacations. Win win situation.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:56 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
May be ask your wife to look into the idea of putting your own residence on AirBnb while you guys are out on Vacation renting an AirBnb in SC? This will not only make the "displacing the locals" factor even out but you will also get some money made while you are away on vacations. Win win situation.
If the wife will even remotely consider that idea, HomeExhange.com is a much better way to go. AND it's (generally) cost free, may include a car, and can provide a home/condo that's plenty big enough for the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel