Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times

Advertisements

Coming back from Amsterdam in 2019, 3 hours ahead was a very appropriate time to get to the airport because I didn’t have SkyTeam Elite+ access to the priority security line yet and both security and outbound immigration for non-EU passport holders were backed up something fierce.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:00 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Coming back from Amsterdam in 2019, 3 hours ahead was a very appropriate time to get to the airport because I didn’t have SkyTeam Elite+ access to the priority security line yet and both security and outbound immigration for non-EU passport holders were backed up something fierce.
Wow, I didn't realize the security line in Amsterdam was that very long, when you were flying out of Amsterdam and heading back home! I guess security lines indeed sometimes can be over 2 hours, sigh. Well, you guys all have proved me wrong indeed, that sometimes security lines can (indeed, and the opposite of what I assumed for too many years) can sometimes be over 2 hours long.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You just never know what might happen, and [bleep] happens (a flat tire on your car, someone else's wreck ties up the highway, you miss the parking shuttle and the next one is in 20 minutes, the airport gets fogged in and EVERYBODY has to rebook, so long lines at the check-in/baggage place, etc). If it happens to you, that extra time will come in handy. International flights just add another layer of complexity, and more ways for things to take longer than you expect.

No matter how early you get there, something might happen that takes longer than you have. So best to get there 24-48 hours in advance and camp out. Seriously, I'm not going to get there excessively early over some unlikey scenario. An experienced and intelligent traveler can remove most of the likely issues - know the destination entry requirements so you don't get denied boarding, don't put prohibited items in your bags that will get you extra screening, be aware of local traffic and construction around the airport, be aware of the weather, and don't be disorganized.

For international, we've found that the 60 minute checked bag cutoff is the critical point. Make that and you'll make the gate. We usually uber/lyft to the airport to eliminate the parking shuttle step. We have good rideshare service so we seldom have to wait for than 10 minutes after requesting ride.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-03-2022 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 01:15 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I have worked for an airline for over 21 years. I watch people miss their flights everyday. I have seen the tears, the begging. Seriously--just get to the airport early.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-03-2022 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 06:54 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Honest question from someone who doesn't fly internationally..

If I bought a ticket to.. London.. Flying out of my home airport, GSP..

I'm going to connect. Just eyeballing something here, I'd connect in Newark.

Expedia shows 3 possible flights.. One of which has only a 49 minute connect time.. So.. "International" checkin is at the origination airport?
If your arriving flight is late for any reason, you could very well miss your connection. My husband was a frequent flyer for work and this happened all the time

Yes, in most cases, you don't need to go thru security a second time.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
OMG, since when is it three hours? It used to be two. Maybe we should just camp there. /s
Can’t comment on flights from the U.S. but in U.K. 3 hours are recommended for a long haul flight, and 2 hours for domestic or flights to Europe.
I always remember my old ma, “better to be an hour early than 5 minutes late son.”
I was at Luton airport, (laughingly called London Luton), once, all checked in and ready to roll for a flight to Düsseldorf, when a guy and his young daughter arrived at check-in 5 minutes after check-in closed for a flight to Edinburgh.
The plane was still at the gate, delayed for some reason, but they refused to board them, even though he and his daughter had only hand luggage.
The girl was in tears, her brother was due to leave from Edinburgh to Dortmund, Germany, to join his regiment who were slated to leave for Afghanistan, and this was her last chance to kiss him goodbye.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize the security line in Amsterdam was that very long, when you were flying out of Amsterdam and heading back home! I guess security lines indeed sometimes can be over 2 hours, sigh. Well, you guys all have proved me wrong indeed, that sometimes security lines can (indeed, and the opposite of what I assumed for too many years) can sometimes be over 2 hours long.
AMS used to have individual screening stations at the entrance to every holding pen/gate. When they went to a consolidated checkpoint and border control exit check at the front of the airport for all concourses/gate areas model, they shoehorned it into an area that didn’t have nearly enough space for their daily passenger count and dang, it was ugly for a while.

I hope they used the covid time to do some remodeling so they could get a better passenger throughput.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:11 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Well, we got there at 3:30am, but it didn’t help a bit since they didn’t accept my husband’s vaccination card. So we had to rebook for tomorrow *at the same tine* because AA has no other flights available. And today we need to work on getting a replacement card. And then do all the on-line registration again. Sucks …

Old 03-11-2022, 05:27 AM

1,367 posts, read 612,755 times
For international flights we get there 3 hours before, those flights are at night and the airport is busy at that time. Including the commuter traffic getting to the airport during rush hour.

Last edited by CEN2RION; 03-11-2022 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: info error

Old 03-11-2022, 08:10 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
Eh, that sucks, Jill, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel