Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 02:29 PM

9,204 posts, read 6,524,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I have always heard that we should get to the airport two hours in advance for an international flight. However, our flight leaves at 6am. Does that mean we should be at the airport at 4am? Seems crazy. I know the airport will be open, but will any airline employees be there? I checked the airline schedule and their earliest flight is at 5:45 am. What do you think the chances are that the employees get there at 4am?

Obviously, I could just call the airline and ask, and I will almost certainly have to do that, but on the off chance that someone here really knows or experiences this kind of thing regularly, please respond with your insights. Anything to avoid waiting on hold forever with an airline.

Well, are you feeling lucky? If so, then arrive whenever you please. I'm always at the airport several hours early. Security and check-in can have nobody in line, or (as has been the case several times lately) lots of staff and crew call in sick and TSA has only 2 lines open, with no Pre-Check and the airline is making everyone check in by kiosk (most of which are broken!). A nightmare scenario that I've lived through.

I personally would sleep at the airport hotel and arrive for my flight well rested rather than haggard, rushed and tired. But that choice is up to you.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:02 PM

22,550 posts, read 29,857,331 times
We fly out of Denver and have Clear and Pre-check. We are there 1 hour before our flights.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:57 PM

17,849 posts, read 15,744,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
First, yes, international check-in is at the origination airport. That's where you have to show your passport and they check your bag to your final destination.

Second, I would never book such a flight through Expedia or any other third party; I'd book it only through the airline itself. If both legs of your flight are with the same airline, and if you booked the whole trip at one time, the airline will not give you an impossible connection, and they will be responsible for getting you to your final destination should your first flight be delayed so much that you miss your connection. But if you book through a third party site, you're on your own.

Oh.. I don't even book domestic flights through Expedia. I use them quite a bit to look up flights.. But then go to the airline site to book. After also having gone to southwest.com to check their fares.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:20 PM

4,056 posts, read 1,954,472 times
Here are the relevant questions:

1. Do you have TSA precheck?

2. Are you carry-on only (i.e., no baggage to check)?

3. Do you have "Priority" of any kind? 1st class? Credit card status? Etc.?

Then 90 minutes might work. ESPECIALLY IF:

This flight has a domestic layover. In that case NO ONE will care that it's ultimately an international destination for you - EXCEPT if you need to confirm COVID status at the counter. That's a painful adder and time waster.

If this flight is bound directly to an international destination - meaning the check-in agent has to verify passports, COVID, and so on - you can expect a decent line. And an early closure of the airplane door, and early-ish boarding.

Don't be "That Guy (Gal)." Get there early. Then nap on the plane. No need for the Hyatt at that time - just get a few hours at home then head there plenty early. Nap at the gate. Relax. It's vacation (I hope). Don't start it off missing your flight.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,357,613 times
Probably depends on the airport. If I got to the airport 2 hrs before my 6am flight here, no ticket counters, etc would even be open.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 3,506,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Here at ORD, we get, "be at the airport 3 hours before". Depends on the airport, but I've found the posted times is more for possible security point bottlenecks. IIRC, you're leaving from MCO which can have slow security lines. But yes, airline employees are likely to be there, especially for international flights, for check-in including passport and possible Covid related required checks, baggage, etc.

Also be aware that for some international flights they close the doors anywhere from 15- 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time, which some people have found out too late and to their disappointment. Bag check-in closes 45-60 minutes before departure time too, so there are some very good reasons being there early.

TBH, I would rather be there too early and sit around rather than be late and miss a flight that maybe the only one of the day!
I've never heard the suggestion to get to O'Hare, 3 hours before a flight departs. Traditionally for ORD, I remember everyone suggesting(and I traditionally did this too, myself) to get there 2 hours before a flight departs. Is this a new post-COVID thing, where TSA staffing shortages(don't know if it's that....) have caused security lines to be longer than how they were in pre-COVID times? It's boring enough to wait at an airport for that long before a flight departs, and seriously some people are now suggesting 3 hours? Let's not forget how darned overpriced airport food is, and how mediocre the food choices are(though a little less at O'Hare, I'll admit) at too many airports out there.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-03-2022 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Off-topic rant.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:22 PM

9,761 posts, read 5,567,232 times
It does depend on the airport and also how many flights depart at that time of day. We have a tiny airport here, but the mornings are busy because you fly to JFK first and then onward. But here, two hours isn't really necessary. We are very efficient and lines move quickly, even with security checks.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:41 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,700,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Honest question from someone who doesn't fly internationally..

If I bought a ticket to.. London.. Flying out of my home airport, GSP..

I'm going to connect. Just eyeballing something here, I'd connect in Newark.

Expedia shows 3 possible flights.. One of which has only a 49 minute connect time.. So.. "International" checkin is at the origination airport?

I fly out of GSP all the time for international flights. Most of the time it is similar price compared to flying out of Charlotte or ATL and I don't have to park since I usually get a free ride.

International check in is at GSP. The checked bags are checked through to my final destination whether they be in Europe or Asia. Newark is slightly crazy for international flights with only 49 minutes since in the past I remember taking the train between terminals and having to go through security once more at the international terminal. I wonder if they have changed that since that will cause delays. In other airports I did not have to do that while connecting.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:23 AM
exm

3,769 posts, read 1,836,064 times
It should be 3 hours for international flights. However, 6AM security lines shouldn't be too crazy. I would plan to be there at 4AM for a 6AM flight.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:30 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,483,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I have always heard that we should get to the airport two hours in advance for an international flight. However, our flight leaves at 6am. Does that mean we should be at the airport at 4am?
YES, YES, YES

Do what you want--I watch people miss their flights EVERYDAY because they do not get to the airport early enough. Where I work, 4am is a crazy busy time.

How long have you been planning your trip? Now you want to cut short when you should be at the Airport?!

And if everything goes really well and quickly, sit in your gate area and relax until it is time for boarding.

Sincerely,

Your Gate/Ticket Agent @ a very busy airport for a very busy airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel