Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 03:08 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,930,925 times

Advertisements

My kids and I live in NC. They are 21 and 24.

I need to plan a getaway of some kind for Christmas/winter break because if I don't I will be plunged into deep despair and need lots of drugs to survive the winter. It would have to coincide with my older's break...she is a school teacher. Younger is a student so she has lots of time and I have flexibility. They will likely spend the 24/25 with their dad which gives us from 12/26-1/2 to work with.

One place at the top of our list is Universal Studios/Harry Potter World. Other things I've thought of are Mexico, Costa Rica, Florida. We would like to enjoy some sun, swim, walk on a beach, sight see, and eat street food (we are not foodies). I would not be opposed to driving to Florida which may be our safest option.

BUT of course there is Covid to think of, we are all fully vaccinated and will get booster shots if available. Want to be safe, but it is getting annoying to stay home safe while the rest of the world gallivants around enjoying themselves. I don't think that hotels/airbnb seem like unsafe accommodations, I'm sure it's the air travel that will kill us.

So where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 03:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,151,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My kids and I live in NC. They are 21 and 24.

I need to plan a getaway of some kind for Christmas/winter break because if I don't I will be plunged into deep despair and need lots of drugs to survive the winter. It would have to coincide with my older's break...she is a school teacher. Younger is a student so she has lots of time and I have flexibility. They will likely spend the 24/25 with their dad which gives us from 12/26-1/2 to work with.

One place at the top of our list is Universal Studios/Harry Potter World. Other things I've thought of are Mexico, Costa Rica, Florida. We would like to enjoy some sun, swim, walk on a beach, sight see, and eat street food (we are not foodies). I would not be opposed to driving to Florida which may be our safest option.

BUT of course there is Covid to think of, we are all fully vaccinated and will get booster shots if available. Want to be safe, but it is getting annoying to stay home safe while the rest of the world gallivants around enjoying themselves. I don't think that hotels/airbnb seem like unsafe accommodations, I'm sure it's the air travel that will kill us.

So where would you go?
Personally, I wouldn't go to Universal the week of Christmas to New Years without staying on property and having the Express Pass. We thought about going this summer because we live just a couple hours away and haven't been in a couple of years. But the online reviews/comments of people that went did not make it sound like it was going to be a lot of fun or that we'd get our money's worth.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,116,699 times
We haven’t been to Cancun in a few years.
Have you ever been there?

Swimming with whale sharks is awesome.
Snorkeling in the cenotes is a blast.
Good food good times.

We like going up to Washington with the kids for Christmas and just doing nothing.

For us not having an itinerary is one of the best parts of the holidays.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:58 AM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times
Airplane fares are going to be insanely high during those dates. Driving to Southern Florida doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your holiday.

You're in Fayetteville, NC. Maybe Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach. Charleston or Savanah. Asheville has tons to do during the holidays , and the surrounding towns do a lovely job with their downtown areas. Florida - Jacksonville, St Augustine (underated). St Simon's Island, GA.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:52 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,151,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Airplane fares are going to be insanely high during those dates. Driving to Southern Florida doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your holiday.

You're in Fayetteville, NC. Maybe Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach. Charleston or Savanah. Asheville has tons to do during the holidays , and the surrounding towns do a lovely job with their downtown areas. Florida - Jacksonville, St Augustine (underated). St Simon's Island, GA.
Orlando isn't exactly "southern" Florida. I mean, if you're suggesting she drive to St. Augustine, at that point she's literally 90 minutes from Orlando.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:09 AM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Orlando isn't exactly "southern" Florida. I mean, if you're suggesting she drive to St. Augustine, at that point she's literally 90 minutes from Orlando.
Sure. But Orlando during the holidays would, IMO, be a miserable with the crowds, small kids, etc.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,622,838 times
Quote:
What to do this Christmas???
Quote:
So where would you go?

After last year, I just want to be able to see our families & friends…especially the little ones like my friend’s kids AND my husband’s nieces & nephew. Maybe do a little house hunting in Dana Point on our drive down to see everybody in SoCal.

IMO it’s who is with you….not where you go. AND minimizing risk for older family members we haven’t been able to see.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:12 AM

316 posts, read 306,695 times
I don't recommend driving to FL because it could take a full day just to get there. Traffic on 95 can be horrific during the holidays and what you think might be an 8-hour drive according to Google Maps, could end up turning in to a 12+ hour affair. We have plans to fly rather than drive this time. We bought our tickets months ago, so I have no idea whether fares are unreasonable at this point.

Costa Rica is quite lovely in terms of weather that time of year and has very friendly people. And there is certainly plenty to see and do.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sure. But Orlando during the holidays would, IMO, be a miserable with the crowds, small kids, etc.
I'm not so sure about that...with adult kids we have the flexibility to use the proven strategies for navigating the parks. Turn left instead of right, start at the back and work your way forwards, use height as an advantage to avoid clumps of unruly preschoolers, etc. We would have different priorities in Harry Potter World than people with small children, IMHO.

Doesn't mean it won't be awful. However, we've been putting this off for years. a few years ago we had the chance to do a winter break trip and opted to go to NYC instead. It happened to be freezing cold (although we were well dressed for the weather) and very crowded and I was miserable. Did not enjoy my trip very much.

So I don't know if there will ever be a good time for me and my adult kids to go to Universal that isn't super crowded...my daughter will always be at the mercy of the school calendar.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
My daughter is in the Greensboro area so you have to add that to our trip...from Fayetteville to St. Augustine is 6.5 hours.

I like the looks of St. augustine, lots of sight seeing to do and the weather is reasonably warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel