Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 11:53 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

I assume you are not wanting a winter sports/ski trip. And yes, Covid is a concern.

We used to have Disney passes and learned to avoid the time between Christmas and New Year's due to the crowds.

St Augustine is nice, not exactly "tropical" during that time, in fact, you may find some cool nights

IF you wanted to drive as far as Key West, that is always fun for adults.

I would consider Cozumel but would be certain to buy travel insurance that covers covid situations. I like COzumel though and would love to go back there myself.

The Beach towns in Florida do tend to fill up that week, mostly with the 75 and up crowd, which ten years ago, was the 65 and up crowd.... they keep coming back and multiplying somehow.

Mexico City meets your needs, excellent food, safer than most parts of Mexico, warm weather, plenty to do, BUT again, there is Covid.

I hope you find the right vacation for you and your kids. I can relate to needing a vacation, no need to explain. I understand needing drugs to survive the Winter. I sometimes need them to survive the Florida Summer, and that is the only time I envy the poor people at the nudist colony who cannot even afford clothes.

We have lots of those places in Florida too.

Have you done San Diego? The Decembers are mild, not hot steamy beach weather but that is a fun fun town with loads of things to do and I am pretty sure Southwest goes there from Charlotte. They do fly to Cozumel, not sure the cost , on Mexico City you would have to take one of the other carriers. I would avoid Cancun altogether, it is far from safe.

I'll see what else I can come up with and let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 12:24 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm not so sure about that...with adult kids we have the flexibility to use the proven strategies for navigating the parks. Turn left instead of right, start at the back and work your way forwards, use height as an advantage to avoid clumps of unruly preschoolers, etc. We would have different priorities in Harry Potter World than people with small children, IMHO.

Doesn't mean it won't be awful. However, we've been putting this off for years. a few years ago we had the chance to do a winter break trip and opted to go to NYC instead. It happened to be freezing cold (although we were well dressed for the weather) and very crowded and I was miserable. Did not enjoy my trip very much.

So I don't know if there will ever be a good time for me and my adult kids to go to Universal that isn't super crowded...my daughter will always be at the mercy of the school calendar.
And there you have made your decision! Due to covid, I'll bet the crowds are a bit less this year (if only because grandma and grandpa stay home).

Enjoy your family and your holiday!

Old 09-16-2021, 01:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And there you have made your decision! Due to covid, I'll bet the crowds are a bit less this year (if only because grandma and grandpa stay home).

Enjoy your family and your holiday!
Ai Yi Yi...one day ticket to Universal Studios is $248 per person.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:35 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
My daughter is in the Greensboro area so you have to add that to our trip...from Fayetteville to St. Augustine is 6.5 hours.

I like the looks of St. augustine, lots of sight seeing to do and the weather is reasonably warm.
Not really. It wouldn't matter where you're coming from. It's still only 90 minutes from St. Augustine to Orlando. Fairly negligible amount of time. You wouldn't refuse to go to Orlando but instead go to St. Augustine just over that amount of time. You could easily do both on this trip.

St. Augustine is nice. It has more of a romantic vibe, though. There are way more B&Bs than there are hotels. It's fun. I don't know if it's more than like 3 days worth of fun.

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that...with adult kids we have the flexibility to use the proven strategies for navigating the parks. Turn left instead of right, start at the back and work your way forwards, use height as an advantage to avoid clumps of unruly preschoolers, etc. We would have different priorities in Harry Potter World than people with small children, IMHO.

Doesn't mean it won't be awful. However, we've been putting this off for years. a few years ago we had the chance to do a winter break trip and opted to go to NYC instead. It happened to be freezing cold (although we were well dressed for the weather) and very crowded and I was miserable. Did not enjoy my trip very much.

So I don't know if there will ever be a good time for me and my adult kids to go to Universal that isn't super crowded...my daughter will always be at the mercy of the school calendar.
Yeah, unfortunately there'll never be a perfect time for you to go. Summer sucks. Christmas break sucks. Spring Break sucks. Thanksgiving week might be your best bet.

Like I said we looked at going this summer and here's what I got from on-the-ground reports:
People leaving their hotels 2 hours before rope drop only to wait in a hour-long car line just to get into the parking garage. Then not even being anywhere close to the front of the security line, which is taking about twice as long as normal. Then once in the park: lines being closed intermittently due to excessive waits. 120+ minute waits on many of the rides. Only a fraction of food/beverage options being open, with a minimum of 30 minute lines for food. No ice to be found anywhere in the park after the first couple of hours. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If the summertime crowds are any indication, it won't be. And Christmas week is usually as bad if not worse. Of course, when we looked at going mid/late July, Delta hadn't really started freaking people out again.

Quote:
Ai Yi Yi...one day ticket to Universal Studios is $248 per person.
And that's without Express Pass, which for that week would cost you: Unlimited $229 per day, One Use Express $199 per day. Your tricks might get a couple extra rides, but you're not seeing everything in one day without Express with those kinds of crowds.

Now, staying on property at one of the higher end hotels will get you free Unlimited Express including on both check-in and check-out days. But the cheapest, the Royal Pacific Resort, will start you at about $700 per night. But, free Unlimited Express and not have to wait in an hour long car line to park (plus the $25 per day to park).

Old 09-16-2021, 08:00 PM

24 posts, read 16,409 times
Las Vegas.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:51 AM

316 posts, read 304,090 times
Quote:
How much time does your daughter get for Thanksgiving break? If it's the whole week, would going to Universal that week work?

While I can't speak for Universal, I know Disney had less crowds than I would have thought when we took our kids about 10 years ago. The holiday decorations were up, so there was a nice festive atmosphere everywhere.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:54 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
It's going north, but Colonial Williamsburg has a wonderful program of events. It will keep you busy enough to avoid depression.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburghote...l_williamsburg

https://media.colonialwilliamsburg.o...ner2021_11.pdf

Last year, we arranged Thanksgiving and Christmas around our kids. This year, the kids are hours away from us and each other. It's going to be the first Thanksgiving without them in 30 years. My husband and I are making reservations at a great restaurant and we'll look forward to Christmas when we are all together.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's going north, but Colonial Williamsburg has a wonderful program of events. It will keep you busy enough to avoid depression.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburghote...l_williamsburg

https://media.colonialwilliamsburg.o...ner2021_11.pdf

Last year, we arranged Thanksgiving and Christmas around our kids. This year, the kids are hours away from us and each other. It's going to be the first Thanksgiving without them in 30 years. My husband and I are making reservations at a great restaurant and we'll look forward to Christmas when we are all together.
Oh, that's a good suggestion but their grandmother lives in Williamsburg so they are BTDT. Two years ago we went to Busch Gardens on December 23 and had a grand time. I highly recommend that.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Not really. It wouldn't matter where you're coming from. It's still only 90 minutes from St. Augustine to Orlando. Fairly negligible amount of time. You wouldn't refuse to go to Orlando but instead go to St. Augustine just over that amount of time. You could easily do both on this trip.

St. Augustine is nice. It has more of a romantic vibe, though. There are way more B&Bs than there are hotels. It's fun. I don't know if it's more than like 3 days worth of fun.

Yeah, unfortunately there'll never be a perfect time for you to go. Summer sucks. Christmas break sucks. Spring Break sucks. Thanksgiving week might be your best bet.

Like I said we looked at going this summer and here's what I got from on-the-ground reports:
People leaving their hotels 2 hours before rope drop only to wait in a hour-long car line just to get into the parking garage. Then not even being anywhere close to the front of the security line, which is taking about twice as long as normal. Then once in the park: lines being closed intermittently due to excessive waits. 120+ minute waits on many of the rides. Only a fraction of food/beverage options being open, with a minimum of 30 minute lines for food. No ice to be found anywhere in the park after the first couple of hours. Etc.

If the summertime crowds are any indication, it won't be. And Christmas week is usually as bad if not worse. Of course, when we looked at going mid/late July, Delta hadn't really started freaking people out again.

And that's without Express Pass, which for that week would cost you: Unlimited $229 per day, One Use Express $199 per day. Your tricks might get a couple extra rides, but you're not seeing everything in one day without Express with those kinds of crowds.

Now, staying on property at one of the higher end hotels will get you free Unlimited Express including on both check-in and check-out days. But the cheapest, the Royal Pacific Resort, will start you at about $700 per night. But, free Unlimited Express and not have to wait in an hour long car line to park (plus the $25 per day to park).

Yeah, I added up the total cost of the trip looking at options for accommodations and to be honest, we can go to Europe for what a trip to Universal will cost. And we are going to Europe, my daughter is leading a student tour in 2023 to London and I'm going with her.

Leaning towards St. augustine.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Jacksonville/St Augustine have really nice beaches. Do know that it can get chilly during that time too. Keep an eye on the weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel