Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 04:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Does anyone know of any hotel chains that have brought back their waffle makers? It seems they all put them away during covid.

I travel occasionally to Charlotte NC for work and rely on the breakfast to save me 30+ minutes in the morning to go out of my way to find breakfast before getting to the office, but in the past three visits I've tried three chains all with no luck. Stayed at two Marriott chains and one IHG chain.

About to book another trip and figured I'd poll the experts- has anyone seen a waffle maker at a hotel post-covid, and if so, which chain?
I love those waffles! A few weeks ago while I was traveling, I saw one in operation at a Holiday Inn that I stayed in in one of the eastern mid-Atlantic states. I've been to so many that I can no longer remember which specific city or state. I believe I also saw one later that week at a Comfort Inn but don't hold me to that. I only went down to get a cup of tea and fruit so I didn't do a full walk-through of the breakfast area.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 09-03-2021 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Seems like I've seen them at Fairfield Inns. I swear hotel chains have used COVID as an excuse to cut back on things just to make more money.
I feel the same way.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not just hotels. I've had it with "due to covid" as some excuse to cut back service or amenities with no reduction in price. The initial fear over contact spread was misguided and we have known better since summer 2020 yet the sanitizing insanity continues. Time to bring back the buffet, too.
Buffets are coming BACK! A couple of days ago I was out of town and saw a TV commercial from either Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet, I get them mixed up. The camera was panning their delicious food and then a plate being filled with food. A voice-over said "we're coming back!"

Actually, they could have been back earlier had they set up the tables to be socially distanced like other dine-in restaurants, had the food choices placed behind plexiglass, and required customers to walk through the line cafeteria-style while the waitstaff place the food choice on the plate.

This, as opposed to allowing people and children to fix their own plates. That was never a good idea anyway. I've seen families allow even young children, ages 4-8 go back and forth to the food bar basically messing over the food. They drop it, drip the sauce all over the counter, drop food or sauce into other foods, etc. It was terrible and very unappetizing the last time I went to a buffet restaurant (outside of Las Vegas). I hope the regular buffet approach never return. The food should be served behind a plexiglass and customers should be served via a cafeteria line.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:40 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The food should be served behind a plexiglass and customers should be served via a cafeteria line.
What you're describing is exactly that: a cafeteria. I used to eat in Morrison's Cafeteria fairly often, but they've gone by the wayside. Seems like they all have, though maybe they're out there and I just haven't noticed. Maybe the renewed emphasis on food hygiene will bring them back.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:34 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
I haven't called a hotel to make a reservation since at least 2004. Didn't realize it was still "the norm" for anyone. Once I started booking online I never went back to calling.

But asking them probably is the most surefire way to see if they have a waffle maker, or what their breakfast consists of.
If you have special needs for disability persons you need to call ahead to reservations. Most hotel/motels have limited handicap rooms and services so you need to call in advance to find out what they have and or to reserve them. This way the hotel/motel can have your needs taken care of when you get there. Online bookers usually can't handle special needs in most cases.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What you're describing is exactly that: a cafeteria. I used to eat in Morrison's Cafeteria fairly often, but they've gone by the wayside. Seems like they all have, though maybe they're out there and I just haven't noticed. Maybe the renewed emphasis on food hygiene will bring them back.

Maybe one reason they have gone by the wayside is that it's more problematic even if a bit more hygienic. First, the line moves much slower. Second, if I'm returning for potatoes and only potatoes I don't want to start at the end of the slow line and shuffle past 20 dishes to get to the potatoes. Third, I don't want to deal with getting a server to understand how much or little I want of something, much less which piece of chicken or how to fit things on the plate. If I wanted someone to make my plate for me I'd go to a menu-based restaurant.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:39 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe one reason they have gone by the wayside is that it's more problematic even if a bit more hygienic. First, the line moves much slower. Second, if I'm returning for potatoes and only potatoes I don't want to start at the end of the slow line and shuffle past 20 dishes to get to the potatoes. Third, I don't want to deal with getting a server to understand how much or little I want of something, much less which piece of chicken or how to fit things on the plate. If I wanted someone to make my plate for me I'd go to a menu-based restaurant.
Some of these issues could be addressed by a simple redesign of the process. Instead of having everyone go through one line, create multiple lines for smaller food stations. That way, instead of everyone going through the one line to choose 3 items out of the 20 on display, have 4 stations of 5 items each, so you can be more selective in which lines you enter.

I'm not arguing the merits of cafeterias over buffets. I'm just saying that if the public sours on buffets because of health concerns, cafeterias (modified to meet more modern service trends) could be a possible solution.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Some of these issues could be addressed by a simple redesign of the process. Instead of having everyone go through one line, create multiple lines for smaller food stations. That way, instead of everyone going through the one line to choose 3 items out of the 20 on display, have 4 stations of 5 items each, so you can be more selective in which lines you enter.

I'm not arguing the merits of cafeterias over buffets. I'm just saying that if the public sours on buffets because of health concerns, cafeterias (modified to meet more modern service trends) could be a possible solution.
I agree. The buffet set-up could remain the same as it's been (4-5 items at a station). You still pay one price and can get whatever you want; a new plate will be used every time you return to the bar.

The difference would be: the food is shielded behind plexi-glass. Instead of customers helping themselves, there would be a waitstaff person to place the food item you want on a small dish and hand it to you.

A lot of college cafeterias that I've visited are set up this way. There is a deli section, a pizza oven section, a hot foods section, a salad bar, a dessert bar, etc. Each station only needs one staff person assigned.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree. The buffet set-up could remain the same as it's been (4-5 items at a station). You still pay one price and can get whatever you want; a new plate will be used every time you return to the bar.

The difference would be: the food is shielded behind plexi-glass. Instead of customers helping themselves, there would be a waitstaff person to place the food item you want on a small dish and hand it to you.

A lot of college cafeterias that I've visited are set up this way. There is a deli section, a pizza oven section, a hot foods section, a salad bar, a dessert bar, etc. Each station only needs one staff person assigned.

The server at each section uses a new plate? So a visit to three sections means three plates? What about condiments? I guess single-packaged and you ask the server for how many ketchups and salts and peppers. That setup is better than nothing but loses something about the buffet nature in being dependent on someone to fix your plate.

I think this is a solution in search of a problem. The people that like buffets are not worried about someone else using the same ladle. And there is no evidence that covid has ever been spread from buffets. The initial paranoia faded quickly as data showed nearly all the spread was airborne. There was a month or two when you couldn't scratch your chin or rub your temple "oh my GOD she TOUCHED HER FACE!!!" or that you needed a phD in mask wearing and removal else you would contaminate it and render it "completely useless".

Old 09-12-2021, 08:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Prices are not being reduced because employers have had to increase wages, including hiring bonuses, to get people to return to work. A cheeseburger that cost $10 pre-pandemic is now >$20 in places.
Staff shortages, and not covid, is probably the real reason many hotels have not gone back to serving breakfast. If they don't have anyone to make/heat up the food or keep the area clean, they're not going to be able to do breakfast. The breakfast to to bags can easily be put together over night by the front desk worker.

Hotels are pulling employees from other areas to clean rooms. They're not going to forgo cleaning rooms so that someone can make waffles. But they're not going to tell guests they're extremely short staffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel