Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 05:33 PM

8,878 posts, read 14,011,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
and that steakhouse in Amarillo that has the 72 ounce steak challenge.
Let us know when you'll be doing the 72oz challenge at the Big Texan!

We'll be watching for you!

This is a fun site to check out every now and then...

https://www.bigtexan.com/live-stream/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,062,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I will chime in about this...the Truman Library is nearing the end of a massive renovation, and you might want to check the website about their re-opening plans. I went back about 20 years ago and loved it. Really embodied the spirit of the man.

Ditto for the Reagan Library, and I'm not even really a fan of the guy. I live nearby and have visited with family members a handful of times. Really a class-A operation. I don't recall there being a stealth fighter there, though.
I guess the Stealth went in in late December 2019, can't wait to go again!

Old 04-04-2021, 06:32 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,698,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's.. More about time together than anything. I mean, we've done a number of trips while he was growing up. We've done DC, Vegas, New York, Boston, Gatlinburg, Iowa (My dad was living there). This is.. Just an area we haven't done.. And there's lots of little things on this route that we'd find interesting.. He's very excited about Roswell.. But, who would vacation JUST to Roswell? Or have Meteor Crater as their vacation destination?

So, this trip, we get to see alot of those type things.. And.. Alot of Americana. Ghost Towns fascinate both of us.. and.. Honestly.. I'm not sure a route where we'll be able to see more of those than this one. We also both love caverns.. There's alot of those on the route. He loved Luray up in Virginia, as do I.

I've seen that site before. But appreciate the info.. And I totally agree with you about the route being the destination. Seems that's what many are missing here. I mean, going on a cruise to some people is the best thing to do on vacation.. While I can see some of that in that you stop at different ports (I'd love to cruise to Cuba and spend a day or two there).. Time on a boat doesn't fly for me.. I burst into flame in the sun, so beach style destinations don't hold interest for me. But.. a cruise doesn't.. Float my boat, so to speak. At least on a road trip.. Pull over, go walk in the desert a bit. He'll actually love all the little kitsch shops along the route..

Plus.. He's just starting to drive, so.. Some wide open stretches of deserted road will be perfect for him.

His brother.. Who will graduate in 4 years.. this would be awful for him. I'm kicking around ideas now to figure out what we're going to do then. He's.. Much wilder. So.. That will be tougher. An initial thought is going to San Diego and popping over to TJ.. that's probably more his speed. I'm.. Certainly leery of that idea.. Thankfully, I've got a while to think about that one. Of course, he keeps bringing up some "Bunny Island" that he wants to go see and that one's just a flat no. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckunoshima
Really enjoyed this whole thread. Some negative stuff and a lot of good, helpful stuff. Its a trip I would have loved to take with some of my grandsons. Have done a few things, closer to home.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you do !! Keep us posted if you can find the time, maybe a few pictures.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:45 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,043,660 times
I just drove by Acoma Pueblo and it is closed to visitors (April) so it could be still closed. Albuquerque has the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center that offers an overview and ceremonial dancing. There is also the National Hispanic Cultural Center there as well.

El Malpais is interesting near Grants — a volcanic lava flow covered a valley floor and makes for interesting hiking or photography.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,422,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I just drove by Acoma Pueblo and it is closed to visitors (April) so it could be still closed. Albuquerque has the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center that offers an overview and ceremonial dancing. There is also the National Hispanic Cultural Center there as well.
Did not see your earlier post as was just skimming through. Hopefully I was not too repetitious but La Posada and Acoma Pueblo are also some of my favorites.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:29 PM

18,023 posts, read 14,029,725 times
To me the Arizona and New Mexico some of the towns are pretty interesting and Central Ave. Alb. (Knob Hill) is really cool at night.

The Texas panhandle doesn't have too much except for Amarillo and the big cross at Groom.

In western Oklahoma, the there are Route 66 Museums in both Elk City and Clinton. The Clinton one is right off the road and is considered one of the best ones on the route.

In Oklahoma to me the one "you can't miss this" thing to do is eat an onion burger in El Reno. Onion burgers are a depression era food item invented in the depression literally on Route 66 in El Reno. There are three or four burger places there that specialize in them. Sid's downtown is my favorite.

OKC has very little promotion of the road but several OKC attractions have been mentioned earlier. The AFB would have to be Tinker AFB which is located about 10 miles SE of highway.

Arcadia is where Pops is. Then if you lunch in El Reno, you could eat dinner at either the Rock House in Stroud or Bristow or Sapulpa at one of the Lebanese places that have been there for decades.

11st in Tulsa is interesting and obviously Tulsa has other things not necessarily related to the highway. The Blue Whale is just outside Tulsa. Claremore has the Will Rogers museum and a gun museum that is popular. Miami has the Coleman theater. Commerce is the home of Mickey Mantle and is the site of the last murder committed by Bonnie and Clyde before they met their demise a few weeks later.

That will get you to Kansas and Baxter Springs. The only Kansas town on the highway before entering Missouri. Once in Missouri you get to Joplin and again, see the site where Bonnie, Clyde, Buck and Blanche shot their way out of a garage apartment in south Joplin.

I'll let the Missouri peeps take you from there.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:23 PM

70 posts, read 88,550 times
Although it's not a true ghost town, Oatman, Az. is a former mining town that charms visitors with its shops and wild burros that roam the streets. There is also a cemetery in Oatman.

https://apcrp.org/OATMAN_CITY/Oatman..._071514%20.htm

If you find yourself along that section of Route 66, be sure to check out the cool gas pumps in Cool Springs, Az.

https://www.route66coolspringsaz.com//

Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 AM

17,979 posts, read 13,807,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Arcadia is where Pops is. Then if you lunch in El Reno, you could eat dinner at either the Rock House in Stroud or Bristow or Sapulpa at one of the Lebanese places that have been there for decades.

The Rock House was a classic for us. GREAT lunch/dinner

Pick up and plan stops before you leave: https://www.amazon.com/Route-66-EZ66...7643925&sr=8-3

And: https://www.amazon.com/Here-Route-Ro...EJQ4T4ZCPGCETN

Took me a while to find. Both of ours are marked up and tabbed from our trip 2 years ago.

Also, download before you leave. Great for side trips: https://www.nationalparks.org/sites/..._10_3_2016.pdf

Last edited by mike1003; 04-05-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 12:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,247,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I always stay over night there. Its about mid point on a 1000 mile trip I take a few times a year. There are still a lot of motels and businesses with the route 66 theme. Of course when I-40 was built it had a huge effect on towns that relied on the route 66 traffic passing through.

I stay there for one reason (twice a year). There's a motel there with clean comfortable odorless "smoking" rooms.

I refuse to stay in a motel that allows cats in the room but forbids smoking in all rooms. I don't rent a room to forcefully alter my personal habits.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM

17,813 posts, read 15,689,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
and a gun museum that is popular.

That right there will be of massive interest to him. Thank you. Still reading on the other things as well. Onion burger sounds interesting to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1974 View Post
Although it's not a true ghost town, Oatman, Az. is a former mining town that charms visitors with its shops and wild burros that roam the streets. There is also a cemetery in Oatman.

https://apcrp.org/OATMAN_CITY/Oatman..._071514%20.htm

If you find yourself along that section of Route 66, be sure to check out the cool gas pumps in Cool Springs, Az.

https://www.route66coolspringsaz.com//

Oatman was already on the list.. I've told him the streets are lined with ass there. He'll likely be sorely disappointed by what that ACTUALLY means, but..

But I also believe there are several abandoned mines and the like there as well? Certainly a place we'll check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel