Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 PM

16,489 posts, read 12,780,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, LGA is the best option by any mode. It isn't even close.

The fastest times to Manhattan by public transit are through LGA. By bus you're in Manhattan just a few minutes after exiting the airport grounds. And rail is coming soon.
Few minutes? More like an hour, and subject to traffic delays. No thanks. I'll stick with the train.

When rail makes it to LGA, I may reconsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,329,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
EVERYONE... it was fairly traumatizing as Americans; I can't imagine how foreigners feel. Three hours to get out of the building to fresh air from when we left the gate.

I'm never going to arrive from an international flight to JFK EVER again. Horrific.
There's a simple solution to your traumatizing, horrific problem. It's called the Global Entry/Trusted Traveler program. It does involve an application process and $100, but the card is good for 5 years. I just used mine last week when I flew into JFK from Poland and was able to skip the line of 100-200 people who were streaming into the customs area from my plane and others that had just landed. Customs took maybe 5 minutes and I was out the door into the fresh air.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:02 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,329,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Few minutes? More like an hour, and subject to traffic delays. No thanks. I'll stick with the train.

When rail makes it to LGA, I may reconsider.
LGA now has a dedicated bus line, the Q70, which goes directly from the airport to the main transit hub in Jackson Heights that has the E, F, R, M and 7 trains. The bus makes no intermediate stops besides the ones at the airport terminals. It can be as quick as 15 minutes to take the bus to the train if you happen to get on at the last bus stop before the bus leave the airport.

Regarding the airtrain, I don't think it will improve transit times. Their plan is to run an airtrain to the 7 train stop way out at Willets Point. Then travelers will have to take the 7 train or LIRR to Manhattan. I don't think it's a good solution, as I believe the express bus would be faster. I suppose if you want access to the LIRR, then it will help.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 PM

16,489 posts, read 12,780,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
LGA now has a dedicated bus line, the Q70, which goes directly from the airport to the main transit hub in Jackson Heights that has the E, F, R, M and 7 trains. The bus makes no intermediate stops besides the ones at the airport terminals. It can be as quick as 15 minutes to take the bus to the train if you happen to get on at the last bus stop before the bus leave the airport.

Okay 15 minutes to Jackson Heights I'll buy. But the other poster was saying 15 minutes to Midtown. That ain't happening.

Granted, it's been a long time since I've attempted the bus rom LGA to my office in Midtown. But that one time was frustrating enough that I haven't bothered again.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,603,319 times
JFK to Lincoln Center on a Friday, travel should be completed by noon. Not sure about the train but by cab or car that trip will take 2 hours in the afternoon.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 PM

801 posts, read 623,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's NYC though. This is an exaggeration. Granted, I live in the NYC area, but I never have an experience like this one.

NYC is what you make it. If you are going to walk through the city or the airport, slow, blocking traffic, on your phone etc etc, people are going to say something or push you out of the way. Respect the etiquette in NYC and NYC will respect you.

Also not sure what you are referring to re: signage it's everywhere and in multiple languages.
No. I was born and raised and live in NY. It is far more than that.

I've flown into JFK probably 30+ times since 1991. It was fine through the early 2000s. I thought it was 9/11 protocols until I came in through Newark a few weeks ago... an almost-incredible difference.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM

89,391 posts, read 86,331,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, LGA is the best option by any mode. It isn't even close.

The fastest times to Manhattan by public transit are through LGA. By bus you're in Manhattan just a few minutes after exiting the airport grounds. And rail is coming soon.
Yup, completion of construction scheduled for 2022.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,229,696 times
I lived in NYC for 15 years and the times we flew out of JFK were horrendous. The traffic to/from is mostly stop without the go and then there's the congestion at the airport. Our preference was EWR both for less traffic on the roads but also for the airport itself. We flew a minimum of twice a year plus had his son visiting twice a year. So for me, it's hands down Newark/EWR.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM

5,311 posts, read 3,692,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I lived in NYC for 15 years and the times we flew out of JFK were horrendous. The traffic to/from is mostly stop without the go and then there's the congestion at the airport. Our preference was EWR both for less traffic on the roads but also for the airport itself. We flew a minimum of twice a year plus had his son visiting twice a year. So for me, it's hands down Newark/EWR.
The key word there is traffic... taking the Airtrain JFK-LIRR-NYC is a breeze, the same reason it's easier than landing at the railless LGA which is much closer to Manhattan but the taxi lines are slow & the traffic can be glacial. There are a few off hours that LGA can be manageable but Fridays typically aren't. I do agree about the traffic to/from JFK & don't recommend driving/taxi to anyone there unless early afternoons possibly, even then if you run into a accident en route it is tortuous.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:48 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,655,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I love ISP!

it's not great if you want to go to Manhattan but for someone like me who live on LI (where ISP is), it's great. Never crowded. In & Out. Love it.

The problem with ISP is limited destinations & airline fly into/out of it, I think Southwest and maybe one other.
Frontier. I've used the Ronkonkuma to take a cheap $69 roundtrip flight to Chicago and back from ISP through them before haha. COL be damned, I like living near a hub that gives me cheap flights to Chicago and elsewhere ($350 flights to London sometimes, $400 flights to China! $700 to Japan (can be cheaper, but I have standards on airlines). I travel too much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel