Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

1,689 posts, read 3,990,836 times

Advertisements

I am flying from Charlotte to San Francisco for a long weekend around the end of September. totally casual trip - I'm taking leggings and tunic tops (yes, long enough to cover the behind) a couple of pairs of shoes (wearing one pair - packing walking shoes).
Debating yoga pants and a t-shirt for the flights or should I "dress" in khakis and a top? what is the general consensus??? Visiting family and going to an outdoor concert at Levi field on Friday night.... other than that playing tourist the rest of the time....

**wear*** not where... fingers not working right.

Last edited by littlelou; 08-15-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM

13,257 posts, read 23,076,112 times
Wear whatever is comfortable for you. You'll neither be the best dressed nor the worst dressed person on the plane no matter what you do. Make sure to check the weather before finishing packing. The SF Bay area is often cooler than people assume and many a tacky souvenir sweatshirt has been purchased there solely for warmth purposes.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,112,307 times
Yoga pants are a bit too casual, IMO. If they look good on you wear them on your trip but flying lends itself more to tailored clothes. No white sneakers, caps, shorts, tees with writing....in fact, the thread for wearing clothing types in Italy could fit in here. I don't like to look like a tourist even if I am... I also think you are treated based on the way you dress....right or wrong.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yoga pants are a bit too casual, IMO. If they look good on you wear them on your trip but flying lends itself more to tailored clothes. No white sneakers, caps, shorts, tees with writing....in fact, the thread for wearing clothing types in Italy could fit in here. I don't like to look like a tourist even if I am... I also think you are treated based on the way you dress....right or wrong.
Thanks greatblueheron- that's why I asked - I was brought up to dress nicely when flying... It a long enough flight I want to be comfy - but don't want to look like a slob. guess I'll dig around and find something. I don't want to take jeans - too heavy. Since I'm flying "steerage" (economy) I want to be simple. And I have a wrap to wear if its cooler and use as a blanket on the planes.... hmmm

Old 08-15-2018, 02:12 PM

189 posts, read 167,799 times
I like to wear leggings over long tops with a jean jacket and scarf/wrap when flying. Also slip on shoes (not sandals). It looks nice, is comfortable, and has layers. I'm often cold on planes and in airports so I like flexibility in travel clothing.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,870,581 times
I would suggest loose/flowy pants with an elastic waist that are lightweight. I usually find them at a store like Ross. They usually come in a variety of prints and pair easily with a t-**** and a jacket and scarf. I often get a complement on them when I travel and it is a great way to look dressed up while being really comfortable.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM

13,257 posts, read 23,076,112 times
More than half the women on my medium to long haul flights in recent years have been wearing something in the yoga pants family. Seat pitch in modern planes is tight enough that you don’t want to add more discomfort to the mix

Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,915,237 times
I dress for comfort on flights, not to make the "Best Dressed List" in Vogue Magazine.

I'm clean, I'm neat, everything that should be covered is covered.

I can't say I've ever been treated differently in my yoga pants than the person sitting across the aisle in a suit. A smile to the cabin crew and a friendly "good morning" goes a lot farther than how much Lycra is in your trousers and whether your shirt is a starched button-down or a clean t-shirt that says "Disney World" on it.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:00 AM

I tried on a new pair of leggings last night and remembered I have a Man's dress Polo shirt that I "inherited" during a breakup some years back.... its nice, long and looked great over the leggings. I pulled out a scarf - bright colors and some fringes on the ends, wrapped around my neck and thought - that's it! Roll up the sleeves part way and with my Skechers Mary Janes I'm set!

thanks all

Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,287,714 times
you know I had a friend years ago tell me she wears a pair of scrub pants on her flights and she flys all over and she said they are the most comfortable to wear and she usually pairs it with a t shirt top and wallah she is good to go . I would have never thought to wear scrub pants to fly but hey if it works and aint broken don't fix it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel